Sweet Corn

/ Sweet Corn #31  
I've been harping on my parents about that... every year they live trap woodchucks, squirrels, and the sometimes the occasional coon and bring them out to a back road to release them.
I'm the guy living on a back road; I compete with squirrels, raccoons, weasels, deer, rabbits, etc for my livestock and garden. The last thing that I want/need is somebody else's problems. (different road, 200 miles from them)
Yes I know those I relocate during the warm weather could possibly cause someone else problems. However it the only legal avenue unless I go through the hassle to get a depredation permit. Folks in town are always dumping their unwanted dogs & cats out in the country. And We country dwellers just take them to the animal control officer. Vicious Cycle?

/ Sweet Corn #32  
I've been harping on my parents about that... every year they live trap woodchucks, squirrels, and the sometimes the occasional coon and bring them out to a back road to release them.
I'm the guy living on a back road; I compete with squirrels, raccoons, weasels, deer, rabbits, etc for my livestock and garden. The last thing that I want/need is somebody else's problems. (different road, 200 miles from them)

I TOTALLY agree why trap a PEST and give it to someone else who has to fight their OWN PESTS not to mention all the DUMPED pests. I trapped 7 racoon out of my garden shed, used conabear trap, I dont use this shed often. They had ripped a hole in the plywood floor tore up and crapped on EVERYTHING floor to ceiling inside the shed. Needless to say I was NOT in mood to give such a nasty disruptive/destructive animal onto someone else. The neighbor asked if I had seen the coon she had been feeding and I told her yep 7 dead ones in back after they tore up MY property... She got really mad & threatened me, I took it in stride and said hey I have pet buzzards and needed to feed them! :D I suggested that my pet buzzards also liked cats & dogs that stray onto my property so far all the dog dodo has stopped showing up in my yard ;) ;) ;)

Mark

/ Sweet Corn #33  
I TOTALLY agree why trap a PEST and give it to someone else who has to fight their OWN PESTS not to mention all the DUMPED pests. I trapped 7 racoon out of my garden shed, used conabear trap, I dont use this shed often. They had ripped a hole in the plywood floor tore up and crapped on EVERYTHING floor to ceiling inside the shed. Needless to say I was NOT in mood to give such a nasty disruptive/destructive animal onto someone else. The neighbor asked if I had seen the coon she had been feeding and I told her yep 7 dead ones in back after they tore up MY property... She got really mad & threatened me, I took it in stride and said hey I have pet buzzards and needed to feed them! :D I suggested that my pet buzzards also liked cats & dogs that stray onto my property so far all the dog dodo has stopped showing up in my yard ;) ;) ;)

Mark

I like the way you think.:thumbsup:

/ Sweet Corn #34  

Mark
In the politically correct environment we have today. Its very possible you could get in lots of legal trouble. don't tell anyone about killing the varmit,s not even on a internet forum. if you have one of those type neighbors turn it into road kill. Simply dump the carcass out in front of their place about three in the morning and flatten it with your vehicle. That way they wont wonder where it disappeared to and you are not a suspect. My burro kills dogs, cats & coyote. I never leave them in the field. I place them on the highway. They become road kill victims.

/ Sweet Corn #35  
In the politically correct environment we have today. Its very possible you could get in lots of legal trouble. don't tell anyone about killing the varmit,s not even on a internet forum. if you have one of those type neighbors turn it into road kill. Simply dump the carcass out in front of their place about three in the morning and flatten it with your vehicle. That way they wont wonder where it disappeared to and you are not a suspect. My burro kills dogs, cats & coyote. I never leave them in the field. I place them on the highway. They become road kill victims.

I may need to borrow your burro! :D

/ Sweet Corn #36  
A buddy of mine plants 80 acres of sweet corn every year. He sells it on wagons all around the area. I talked to him the other day and he said it would be ready for Friday. Just in time for the 4th. I'll be paying him a visit soon. Good buddy ol pal!!!

You must be in Southern Indiana because nothing is close around here yet.

/ Sweet Corn #37  
You must be in Southern Indiana because nothing is close around here yet.
Nope. We are more toward north central. He has all of his early corn under plastic. He also varies all his planting times with different varieties. He's been doing it for 20 years now and almost has it down to a science.

/ Sweet Corn #38  
Nope. We are more toward north central. He has all of his early corn under plastic. He also varies all his planting times with different varieties. He's been doing it for 20 years now and almost has it down to a science.

Under plastic - that sounds like a lot of work for what you get for corn.

/ Sweet Corn #39  
Under plastic - that sounds like a lot of work for what you get for corn.
Yes and no. He has a plastic laying planter all in one three point implement. Once he gets it set and all the adjustments made he just lets it rip! I wish I had some pics to post. He really has a cool operation IMO!!!