DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #11  
I'm wondering if putting something like cheesecloth or similar fabric in front of the screens might reduce or eliminate the labor consuming task of having to pull the screens so often to clean out all the debris? Maybe even landscape fabric would do the trick. The debris is still going to accumulate, but now one can remove it easily and clean or replace just the outermost 'screen' and change it up with a clean one. Velcro could be used to hold the fabric to the tractor screen assembly and the other 1/2 of the velcro could be attached to the fabric.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot
I'll have to look into making the brakeline air hose tool. I hate that the air intake hose goes right over the left screen and makes a pain getting out. Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll try to keep you up once i do make the tool.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #13  
there are two screens, side by side, one comes out easy without tools the other requires tools...haven't removed the hard one since new but I know its not a wing nut fastener

I'll have to look into making the brakeline air hose tool. I hate that the air intake hose goes right over the left screen and makes a pain getting out. Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll try to keep you up once i do make the tool.

Maybe I'm mssing something or the DK50 engine is layed out differently. On the DK40, you remove the wingnut on the left-side (from the driver's position) screen, and slide the right side over to the left side, out from under the intake hose, and lift it out - no tools necessary.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #14  
I'll have to try the pressure washer.
I wouldn't use a pressure washer, it is too easy to get to close and bend the fins. One bobble with it an the air flow will be severely restricted. A garden hose will wash out any dirt and debris just as easily AFTER blowing out the fuzz with an air hose.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #15  
Could you use a shop vac to suck it clean from the front side? You could vacuum it dry and then hose it down (from backside) and maybe add a wetting agent (like Simple Green). Then hose it again from the backside and vac it again from the front side after the wetting agent has time to work. I haven't done this but I've had good luck sucking stuff out of carpets with a shop vac.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #16  
Acme, make sure you don't have a mouse house between the radiator and the aux cooler. I was having the same issue, and someone here said after lots of neck craning they found one down between the two. That area is almost impossible to see, but mine flushed out with a garden hose and a regular sprayer nozzle.

Wing nuts on the pre screens? Nope, not on my '40. Pull the drivers side screen strait out, slide the passenger side one over then pull out....takes me less then two min to clean them in the field. Don't do it while the engine is running because you always knock the chafe off when pulling out the screen and the fan sucks it right into the fins...ask me how i know this.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #17  
amce97 If you make the air nozzle 12" long it is also awesome for blowing out air filters as well! I just blew out hydro heat exchanger and air filter on my hustler super z and could not believe the junk that came out. This mower only cuts lawns! Full of clogging debris. Then I pulled off the top engine shroud to inspect the alum. fins on the heads and they where also full of debris.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #18  
amce97 If you make the air nozzle 12" long it is also awesome for blowing out air filters as well! I just blew out hydro heat exchanger and air filter on my hustler super z and could not believe the junk that came out. This mower only cuts lawns! Full of clogging debris. Then I pulled off the top engine shroud to inspect the alum. fins on the heads and they where also full of debris.

BTW, using compressed air to blow out engine air filters is considered a big no no. Thinking is in articles from trade magazines that deal with compact machinery that doing so will irreparably damage the element and render it useless in doing it's job.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #19  
How old is the tractor? Most makers of farm equipment overkill the requirements needed in cooling. It should be hard to over heat one doing something as normal as brush cutting. Granted, when I cut weeds I clean my radiator daily, but still, I can run all day with out over heating. If your tractor over heats easy, I would look internally. When was the last time the radiator was flushed? Does the engine have a thermostat, and is it sticking. I have seen lower hoses get weak and suck together because a spring was not put inside the hose. I have seen loose belts cause the fan to slip. The weirdest one was when an impeller separated from the water pump on the inside. I like to never found that one. I sure don't mean to be a know it all and I hope this helps.

/ DK50SE HST Cab constantly runs hot #20  
BTW, using compressed air to blow out engine air filters is considered a big no no. Thinking is in articles from trade magazines that deal with compact machinery that doing so will irreparably damage the element and render it useless in doing it's job.

I think this is worth discussion. Air filtration is very important to the life of a Diesel engine. My manual says:

"CLEANING AIR FILTER ELEMENT
To clean the element, use only clean dry
compressed air on the inside of the
element. Air pressure at the nozzle must
not exceed 29 psi (2 kgf/cm²). Maintain
reasonable distance between the nozzle
and the filter."

Do the trade magazines indicate why this is bad or provide any supporting data?