Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,551  
Have you had much snow this season?? Or is global warming making your area tropical too!!

We got a decent amount of snow before Christmas, but hardly a flake since then. It rained again over night (with thunder and lightning; my wife had to give the dog a pill of anxiety!), so it was slick all over again today. I sprinkled some salt in some small areas of my driveway yesterday morning and where I had sprinkled I could scrape off the ice last night. But it's all back today. I don't mind paying the heating bill with these temps, but to let the tractor sit for over a month stinks. We're supposed to be in the coldest 2 weeks of winter historically, but this year we're having temperature swings of 40-50 degrees in a matter of 2 days.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,552  
Sure, I guess it's on topic, more of an ice weapon. This is last years version but it is improved every year. This year I took the rear blade off the box blade and sharpened the front blade on the bench grinder. I installed nylon runners on the sides to adjust the bite that the blade takes. The biggest change for this year is trying to get hot water. I have the wood stove we just replaced at the cottage, so I fastened it to a pallet, installed one 3' length of stove pipe and built a heat exchanger that slides into it out of 40' of copper pipe. I have a pump that draws water out of one tank, through the heat exchanger and returns it to the other tank. Since the two tanks are connected, the water simply circulates. My first try was last weekend and the circulation pump my friend gave me didn't work, although I did manage to make some steem. I just bought a self priming transfer pump, so I'll give it a go after tomorrows melt down (calling for +10 - 12 C).

View attachment 300166
Wow:eek: You really do have a zamboni!!! I guess your ice rink must be something to see, if you have your own equipment to maintain it!!! Awesome design:thumbsup: I wonder if I could apply something like that on our lake... we would have the best rink anywhere:D

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,553  
Wow:eek: You really do have a zamboni!!! I guess your ice rink must be something to see, if you have your own equipment to maintain it!!! Awesome design:thumbsup: I wonder if I could apply something like that on our lake... we would have the best rink anywhere:D

Thanks, I think I've become a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to the rink. I also have the walk behind sweepter to polish the ice after it snows and before I flood. I'm not sure I'd want to take that tractor out on the lake, but if you have a flat area, a cheap pump from Princess Auto with the lake as a water source would be all you need. My BIL runs a pretty big landscape co and garden centre in T.O. He decided to go plow the pond for the kids in his backyard, but unfortunatly, the only equipment he had at the shop at the time was a brand new F550 with salt box. After he'd done a few passes, he got to the end of the pond, lifted the plow which put all the weight of the plow on the front axle and was enough to go through the ice. When the front went through, it was held by the plow momentarily and was enough time for him to get out. The 6 month old truck, plow and salter went for a swim 40' under the ice.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,554  
:shocked:.......That's gotta be an expensive rink....:shocked:

Glad nobody got hurt

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,555  
Funny, it's never been a rink again! They hauled the truck out and his guys worked on it in the slower periods for months. I think they kept the plow and salter, but the truck hit the auction and did better than you'd expect. But yes, that was probably an expensive lesson to be learned.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,556  
ATTACH=CONFIG]300279[/ATTACH] IMG_1362.JPGIMG_1364.JPGIMG_1366.JPG
Live in southwestern Maine and we used to have "real" winters, but I didn't want to go crazy buying snow removing equipment until I got the FEL thing down. Kept our driveway(90ft) and backyard(1+acre) open for 20 years with an old HT 23 Bolens with a 3 1/2 ft mini quick switch. Now it would be called a sub-compact tractor, back then it was a Garden Tractor. The Mahindra 3016 is considered a compact and the difference in ride-traction-power alone is worth a whole bunch. We've only gotten about a foot of the white stuff this year and its been really cold here (10 below to 10 above) for the last 2 weeks. The cab makes life much easier when plowing and the counterweight works very well. Have got chains but will wait until winter really sets in.

Attachments

• IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 233
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #1,557  
Tire Chains...the never ending story! I will get along without them, but they would help with turning while pushing snow. Not a deal breaker, but I cannot twist the plow around like I could on the 3/4 ton pickup.

I purchased the rubber tire chains this year for my JD due to a new driveway I am on quite a hill and could not make it up before putting them on. They work great and cost a bit less than regular chains.]

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,558  
Jd1026r with 47 blower, is what I try to use . So far this winter I've used FEL 54" bucket, 54" front angle blade, 60" rear blade and 47" blower.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.JPG
    IMG_3098.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3099.JPG
    IMG_3099.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 215
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #1,560  
That mog is awesome!

The "awesome mog" is broken down as of this morning After some light snow and drifting yesterday, i blew our driveway to move back the edges. The highest drift was 2/3 up the blower, so it was great fun. It was getting dark when I finished, so I did not attempt to back into the narrow side-road where I park it during winter.

This morning I jumped in to back into the parking spot, pressed the gas pedal, and it stuck down, but the engine did not rev up. I thought "what the heck?" and reached down and pulled the pedal up. Guess what? It bent over and snapped off when I tried to free it. Turns out snow had melted yesterday, froze over night on the floor pan around the base of the pedal. Luckily in the lowest reverse gear I could back up at idle to get it out of the driveway, and the pedal is available in-stock on the internet (where else would you look for parts for a 50 year old German truck?)

Good thing I have the KUBOTA, cause I hear the wind kicking up as I type.