Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #11  
Dose a JD 3320 have split brakes? They are are great help if you have them. Also if your 3320 is new I'd check the owners manual to see what it says about chains. Some configurations of some tractors are so compact that chains on the front can strike the loader arms when the wheels are at full turn and the arms are down. Also check the manual about the front weights. Normally you don't put weights on the front at the same time you have a loader mounted. Might be alright if the plow is light enough as your not lifting full buckets of gravel while plowing snow but check the permissible load on the front axle and tires to see if your exceeding it.

I think he has a front-mounted blower, I could be wrong though. In any case it's nearly impossible to turn more than a few degrees while using a heavy blower in float mode, even a rear blower, unless the skid shoes are fully extented.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #12  
I think he has a front-mounted blower, I could be wrong though. In any case it's nearly impossible to turn more than a few degrees while using a heavy blower in float mode, even a rear blower, unless the skid shoes are fully extented.
I haven't ever run a front blower so don't know but I'd sure try stomping on the right brake and see if she didn't come around right smart. Of course if he doesn't have rear chains on it would probably just spin the left rear tire.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #13  
Hello Folks;

Are any of you running chains on the front tires of you Compact 4WD utility. We have R-4 on our 3320 and they are working much better then then R-3 Turf tires did on our previous 3320.

Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution

Any place to get a good deal on chains?

You guys are the greatest. Such great information. thanks, nicholas

If you are pushing "a good head of snow", you are trying to go to fast with your tractor. I have a front blower.turf tires and some very sharp corners to go around--no problems. If you have your blower in "float", it will do just that and not lift on the front end. It will float and make turning very easy. The "big head of snow " is causing your steering problems.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #14  
My experience has been just the opposite: Floating either the blower or plow on the front end unloads the front axle and makes steering less responsive. As soon as I elevate even the slightest bit (either with the FEL plow or a sub-mounted blower), weight comes back onto the front end and steering becomes more responsive.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #15  
My experience has been just the opposite: Floating either the blower or plow on the front end unloads the front axle and makes steering less responsive. As soon as I elevate even the slightest bit (either with the FEL plow or a sub-mounted blower), weight comes back onto the front end and steering becomes more responsive.
My experience has been the same.
I never use float. Takes to much weight off the front axle and can't steer.
I set my blade down till it just touches and go.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #16  
Learn to use your steering (split) brakes.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #17  
JD does not recommend using chains on front tires. Some slippage must occur to prevent damage in front end. Use chains on rear and use brakes on each side to help steer.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #18  
I do use just front tire chains and they work wonderfully! Although I only use them with considerable amounts of snow and try not to "beat" on tractor too much. If tires are spinning too much stop, back up and try again instead of killing the tractor. Just use common sense I guess.

Woody

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #19  
JD does not recommend using chains on front tires. Some slippage must occur to prevent damage in front end. Use chains on rear and use brakes on each side to help steer.

I am guessing that JD says this because they use an overdrive system for the front axle. Meaning the front tires actually spin a little faster than the rear (feet per minute ground speed wise).

I wonder how many manufactures do this? I know it was somewhat common in the older 4wd tractors. Which if one is not careful, you can wear your front tires out fast by driving down the road in 4wd.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #20  
I am guessing that JD says this because they use an overdrive system for the front axle. Meaning the front tires actually spin a little faster than the rear (feet per minute ground speed wise).

I wonder how many manufactures do this? I know it was somewhat common in the older 4wd tractors. Which if one is not careful, you can wear your front tires out fast by driving down the road in 4wd.

There is nothing much to this overdrive system. Just selected gear ratios for the front drive line that give the front tire circumference a 10% advantage. The advantage to the fronts greatly increases steer-ability letting the front wheels pull the tractor in the direction you point them. That helps a lot when you turn to come up out of a dead furrow and the like. When the fronts get worn down they lose this advantage and when it goes negative the rears are pushing you around while the fronts are dragging their feet.
There is a good section in most 4x4 manuals telling what tires will work and will not.