Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #21  
I chain all 4 each winter. "Overdrive" business only matters on hard-packed, high-traction surfaces ...like highway. 4-wheelers often chain all 4 for snow...I do, and I have chains for all four wheels of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my F-350, and my 4wd Escape. All these "overdrive" and so I simply remove chains for high-traction, hard-pack. If you don't, one axle will wrap up (torque) and then chirp the tires and slip, which is not recommended [in case they don't chirp/slip, in which case something else--not good--gives.]

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #22  
I chain all 4 each winter. "Overdrive" business only matters on hard-packed, high-traction surfaces ...like highway. 4-wheelers often chain all 4 for snow...I do, and I have chains for all four wheels of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my F-350, and my 4wd Escape. All these "overdrive" and so I simply remove chains for high-traction, hard-pack. If you don't, one axle will wrap up (torque) and then chirp the tires and slip, which is not recommended [in case they don't chirp/slip, in which case something else--not good--gives.]

I hear you but quite a few of the members here have paved driveways they are clearing and it wouldn't be fair to tell them to chain it all up all the time without explaining what was going on and what might happen on a paved surface. We all have quite a bit of money tied up in our tractors and nobody wants to damage theirs or wear it out prematurely for lack of understanding. A member who had never heard this discussion might hear his fronts chirp repeatedly (if they can chirp with chains on) and think nothing of it until the front U joint split apart in the middle of a snow storm. It is not a question of just using front chains or not , it is the question of when where and how to use them .

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #23  

I can almost guarantee you, that your jeep, f350, and escape do not have an overdriving front axle.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #24  
If on snow and loose surfaces ie not hard pavement my view is the load on the front axles with chains on all 4 wheels is still less than the load of using a loader on hard surfaces in the summer: much more ability for slip.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #25  
If on snow and loose surfaces ie not hard pavement my view is the load on the front axles with chains on all 4 wheels is still less than the load of using a loader on hard surfaces in the summer: much more ability for slip.
That's certainly been my experience and I run chains on the front every winter.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #26  
That's certainly been my experience and I run chains on the front every winter.

This front axle thing is a non issue...they are limited slip so unless something goes wrong or it has been modified no danger of doing any damage with chains (unless you have clearance issues of course)

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #28  
Hello Folks;

Are any of you running chains on the front tires of you Compact 4WD utility. We have R-4 on our 3320 and they are working much better then then R-3 Turf tires did on our previous 3320.

Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution

Any place to get a good deal on chains?

You guys are the greatest. Such great information. thanks, nicholas

I have a JD 3320 that I just bought last Summer. I have the same issue. I talked to my John Deere dealer and they said many of the John Deere compact tractors with cabs should not have rear chains installed because of clearance problems. Apparently the gas tank and rear fenders are closer to the tire than a non cab model. The hydraulic lines are what concern me. They are too close to the rear tire. Wouldn't want a loose chain hitting them. I have heard of people adding tire spacers for the rear to install chains. For me, I will just install them on the front as my John Deere dealer suggested. I would think this should help steer the tractor much better. I bought some 2 link chains from Tire Chains by TireChains.com and will put them on this week to try out. I think they cost me about $140 with 2 day UPS shipping.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #29  
JD does not recommend using chains on front tires. Some slippage must occur to prevent damage in front end. Use chains on rear and use brakes on each side to help steer.
I had the chain conversation with my John Deere dealer a few weeks ago and was told on many of their compact tractors they do not recommend rear chains on cabbed models. Apparently the gas tank and fenders are some what close to the tires and the hydraulic lines look to be the largest concern. They are way to close to the inside of the rear tire. I was told that front chains are acceptable to use and they will not void the warranty on my JD3320.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #30  
I had the chain conversation with my John Deere dealer a few weeks ago and was told on many of their compact tractors they do not recommend rear chains on cabbed models. Apparently the gas tank and fenders are some what close to the tires and the hydraulic lines look to be the largest concern. They are way to close to the inside of the rear tire. I was told that front chains are acceptable to use and they will not void the warranty on my JD3320.

Depending on the tire type, you can increase rear tire clearance by reversing the wheels, or swapping side to side. If that doesn't add adequate clearance, you can add 2"-4" spacers.
As far as your dealer comments...he's one of the few that OK'd the use of front chains (that I've read on TBN).