Tractor options for plowing

/ Tractor options for plowing #1  

tacsled

Tractor
LG Montana 2740
New guy to the site. Thinking about upgrading my tractor. Was wondering which tractor and HP range you guys think would be good for:
-Pushing a 6-7' snow plow 9-10 mph in the low range on mountain roads.

My current is a little Montana 2740 with 4 speeds in low range and 4 in high. I have a pto blower on the back, 6' FEL attached blade on the front and chains all the way around. I had a quick mount built so I can easily take the bucket off and attach the blade. It is a great tractor (had it for years) but is slow. I sometimes need to plow a mile or more of mountain road. I plow in low 4 because I don't want to tax the clutch too much going up hills while pushing the blade. So it's slow and snow doesn't really roll off. I also don't have a cab and freezing my *** off while plowing the road is getting old and my next one is definitely going to have a heated cab. Also, I've never run a hydro tranny in a tractor so I don't know if that would be better than a shuttle shift.

I don't really have a brand loyalty so let me know what you guys think and please don't say buy a plow for a pick-up. Hard to plow with a truck for 20 years and not have tranny and frontend problems. If any of you are doing what I described now let me know with what.

I look forward to your opinions.

/ Tractor options for plowing #2  
I don’t think you will find a machine that will do 9-10 mph in low range. I have 38 hp HST and with 4 chains and a good blade I’m sure I could do 9-10mph on flats or down hill with 6” or so of snow. If I’m really pushing uphill I drop into low range or about 3-5mph. I have a 6’ blade. Based on that I’m guessing you’d be in the 45-50hp range.
Honestly from what you describe I’d get a beater with a heater truck and put a blade on it. I think that will work better for the speeds you want to do.

/ Tractor options for plowing #3  
Welcome to TBN tacsled.

You might not want to hear it but I too think if you're going to be plowing a mile or more of road that a plow truck may be a better option.
I jumped from a 26HP open station to a 36HP cabbed tractor 4 years ago and really enjoy having a heated (and has A/C too) cab. I don't usually hear the term MPH when using a tractor but I get my fair share of snow each year and plow it with my LS XR3037HC with a 7 1/2' plow. I also have a 7' double auger snowblower on the 3 pt. if needed. I don't plow any roads, just driveways. Tractor is HST and I run at 2200 RPM in mid range when plowing. I do travel roads in high range with cruise control and could plow in high if needed. Not sure what that translates to in MPH but makes no difference to me.
Any 35-50HP tractor would easily do what you need.
Never owned a shuttle shift, just gear and now HST tractors for the last 14 years.

/ Tractor options for plowing #4  
I would shoot for a tractor in the 60 hp range. I plow with a 5093e john deere and can plow at 15mph. what else do you use the tractor for? That would have a big impact on my decision because different transmissions are better than others for certain tasks. If you do alot of loader work i would get the biggest HST tractor you can afford.

/ Tractor options for plowing #5  
So your plowing in 4 low so as not to be hard on the clutch? Try it once driving as fast as you can. Don't worry about the clutch. I think you'll find you have a different tractor unless your running out of power now.

/ Tractor options for plowing #6  
I don’t think you will find a machine that will do 9-10 mph in low range. I have 38 hp HST and with 4 chains and a good blade I’m sure I could do 9-10mph on flats or down hill with 6” or so of snow. If I’m really pushing uphill I drop into low range or about 3-5mph. I have a 6’ blade. Based on that I’m guessing you’d be in the 45-50hp range.
Honestly from what you describe I’d get a beater with a heater truck and put a blade on it. I think that will work better for the speeds you want to do.

My 40hp 5-6,000lbs L4060hstc can't do 9mph on smooth dry road if there is any hills involved. I got 15mph downhill with a tailwind. Nevermind adding plowing to that mix. I probably get 5mph tops with my 8' plow & 6" of snow.

If you want speed you aren't looking at a tractor. At a minimum look for a frame mounted plow rather than SSQA. Less likely to damage the loader (not that it's likely at all unless you are really stupid), but more importantly it's more compact. Better maneuverability & the less the plow pushes the tractor sideways & generally stops steering from working.

/ Tractor options for plowing #7  
I would deff look into a truck, not a tractor, I have a 4320 (48hp cabbed tractor) on the road unloaded it will do 15mph in high range, 7mph in medium range and 3.5mph in low range.

There is no way I could plow at 9-10mph, I could in high range but that’s hard on the transmission and I wouldn’t think it would last long.

You need like a 150hp tractor to plow at 9-10mph on hills.

Or buy a cheap truck with a plow.

/ Tractor options for plowing #8  
I've got 95hp and 9 mph is "doable" in 8" but in the hills...... hills & speed need hp & torque, the longer the hill, the higher your power needs.
I'll second the question about your other tractor needs. I know you said no truck because of tranny & front end issues, but was that on a 1/2 ton automatic? If you don't really have a need for a 60-100hp tractor the rest of the year, I'd look for a used, 1 ton solid axle truck with a manual transmission for at least the majority of your long road. Keep the tractor for clean up around the home & summer chores. And welcome to TBN!

/ Tractor options for plowing #9  
If speed is the requirement, then a big ag tractor with frame mounted plow is what to look at. I plow mostly driveways with my L4060 HSTC, but even on the long ones I am doing maybe 4mph. You may find that in a heated compact tractor cab speed is not so important!

/ Tractor options for plowing
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know if it was doable or not. From what I've seen, snow doesn't really roll off the plow unless you go @ 9 mph and up. I need a tractor outside of winter for maintaining my gravel road and other chores around my place. I was hoping to upgrade instead of getting another piece of equipment to maintain and store (limited shop space). I have a utv that I use on the road when the snow is less than 8" but plowing that much on those things is hard on them. I don't want a plow on my everyday truck. Sounds like unless I win the lottery and can afford a 150hp tractor I'm stuck getting a used pickup and plow.