Tractor options for plowing

/ Tractor options for plowing
Anyone else have any thoughts if an HST tranny is the way to go for plowing or not? I've never run one so don't know anything about them. I use the loader in the summer and winter, plow snow, pull a blade to maintain my road in the summer, run a pto sprayer for weeds, pull a few logs for firewood, etc. If I upgrade, would an hst be the way to go?

/ Tractor options for plowing #12  
My past 2 tractors were HST. Great for all around tasks, particularly loader work. Kubota’s HST has come a long way in the past few years with 3 range + hi-lo, Auto Throttle (ties hst pedal to throttle), Cruise, Stall Guard, adjustable hst response.
I love the transmission on mine.

/ Tractor options for plowing #13  
Anyone else have any thoughts if an HST tranny is the way to go for plowing or not? I've never run one so don't know anything about them. I use the loader in the summer and winter, plow snow, pull a blade to maintain my road in the summer, run a pto sprayer for weeds, pull a few logs for firewood, etc. If I upgrade, would an hst be the way to go?
My old L3200 & new L4060 are both HST. I drove JD PowerShift & Power Quad 7000-8000 series machines for several summers years ago. I've driven Kubota GST for a few hours a year ot 2 ago doing loader work...

Even with the 15% HP tax on HSTs I'm more productive with them doing utility work by a good margin. When plowing snow flat out on a straight with a big blade full & good traction I could use that missing 15%. But inching up on a garage door, plowing near a car, or anything precision goes orders of magnitude faster & more precise than any kind of gear machine.

With a HST you can wring out every last HP available. Just pres on the go pedal until the RPMs consistently drop. You may or may not find the right gear on a gear machine. And even if you do, varying conditions change HP h gear needs.

If efficiency matters like pulling a plow all day or mowing in open spaces, the 15% HP tax isn't worth it. But that's generally more relevant in big ag machines, not in SCUTs & CUTs.

/ Tractor options for plowing #14  
I like HST for both plowing and running a snowblower, but travel speed isn't fast. If plowing in the 10 mph range is really your goal, maybe consider a Mercedes Unimog, perhaps something like a 406 or U1200. You could run an 8 foot or even 10 ft plow, and depending on the machine you could also run a snowblower. A Unimog 406 with snowplow in decent shape can be obtained for less than a 60 hp cab tractor with 2000 hrs. Depends what else you might use the machine for if this might work for you. Just food for thought....

/ Tractor options for plowing #15  
Buy a used F450 with an 8 bed and install a 9 Boss plow.

With descent tires and ballast, it will plow your drive with no problem, at any speed you want.

Our road is plowed by the county, usually with a John Deere road grader equipped with a front mounted plow, wing, and under body scraper.

That thing literally flies, and flings snow thirty feet.

A slow moving tractor can稚 do that.

/ Tractor options for plowing #16  
I am inclined to tell you to find a Chevy 3500 4x4 yard plow with an automatic transmission and 350ci gas engine. Chevrolet seem to be easy to repair, the 350ci will have plenty of power, and keep your transfer case in low range, you should have no worries of abusing the transmission. Tractors are fun, but I have more important things to do with my time than suffering while plowing snow.

/ Tractor options for plowing #17  
Try high range. Your clutch only wears if you are riding it, if you are moving and the clutch is fully engaged you can drive as fast as you have power....and a smooth surface...

/ Tractor options for plowing #19  
If you keep your tractor, Gerbing and others make electrically heated jackets. I use an SAE extension from the battery jack. Bought one for motorcycle riding, really helps. $2-300.

Gerbing :: The leader in Heated Gear Technology

Firstgear - Heated Motorcycle Gear

I set up my Gerbing heated gear for use on my previous open station L3410. I ran 8 or 10 ga wire to the rear of the tractor, and got power off a fuse box for the Gerbing connector. Those suits are awesome.

/ Tractor options for plowing
Thanks for everyone's input. After comparing tractors in this class from JD, NH, Kioti, Kubota and LS (brands local dealers carry) I decided to buy an LS. Getting an XR4155HC with 8' blade. I really liked it driving it around the dealership. After driving the LS I just couldn't personally justify spending $9k and up more for the bigger names and $2k more for the Kioti. It may not plow as fast as a truck but I won't be rebuilding the front end every 2-3 years either.