Tractor options for plowing

/ Tractor options for plowing #21  
Thanks for everyone's input. After comparing tractors in this class from JD, NH, Kioti, Kubota and LS (brands local dealers carry) I decided to buy an LS. Getting an XR4155HC with 8' blade. I really liked it driving it around the dealership. After driving the LS I just couldn't personally justify spending $9k and up more for the bigger names and $2k more for the Kioti. It may not plow as fast as a truck but I won't be rebuilding the front end every 2-3 years either.

I spent 4 years travelling through 9 States and Provinces representing a Canadian snow plow manufacturer and have spent another 4 years working closely with snow removal contractors and heavy equipment dealers. The consistent issue I had with LS dealers (Branson, Mahindra, Kioti) was that in their aim to compete on price they would but the wrong kind of plow on a FEL. Regardless of manufacturer, FEL are expensive to repair and from the description you gave of the road you are plowing I sincerely hope they provided you with a quality 8' blade with a real trip system. If not your warranty will not cover damage to the FEL and it won't take much with a 55HP tractor to cause it.

That being said, enjoy your new tractor.

/ Tractor options for plowing #22  
I was somewhat in your shoes. I plowed my private road (3/4 mile) for years with beater yards trucks. I got sick of buying/fixing/selling the trucks so I bought a Tractor with a cab. I ended up with a LS 4140HSC. I used one of the 7.5' plows from one of my old trucks and mounted it to a QA setup. I ran the hydraulics from the rear remotes to pivot the blade from side to side, I also found a rear mount blower 72" with an additional 6" of wings. I normally use the mid gear and find it works well, but is no where near 9-10MPH, maybe 3-4MPH. The snow doesn't roll off like the truck did. I had to change the way I plow. I wouldn't go back to a truck at this point. I can get the road MUCH wider with the tractor. What I have found myself doing with any snow over 6-7" is to plow the snow into the center of the road, then blow it into the woods on my last trip. IMG_9779.jpgIMG_9781.jpg