1/2 ton with best tow ratings

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #31  
That's still about 1/2 ton less than a F150.

What you also have to watch is the trucks GVWR. Many are low. So by the time you fill the crew cab you are maxed out so no room for pin weight of a trailer.

Chris
That's the biggest problem with Ram. Look at the payload ratings on some of those 10000+ tow rated crew cabs. 1300 and 1400 lbs payload ratings. I hope they don't plan to tow and also have anything but a driver on board. Or they can haul passengers, but not tow anything or put anything in the bed. It makes no sense to me.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #32  
Any reason not to go 3/4 ton?

The reason I ask is because I will on occasion rent equipment from the local yards and was recently turned away with my 1/2 ton Silverado with tow package, trailer brakes and 7,500 rated hitch.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings
Any reason not to go 3/4 ton?

The reason I ask is because I will on occasion rent equipment from the local yards and was recently turned away with my 1/2 ton Silverado with tow package, trailer brakes and 7,500 rated hitch.
Just curious about options and 3/4 tons are not out. Truck will be for my father, he will not tow a lot. There will be a few times a year he might hit 7-8k range. Has a 1 ton right now and looking for ride comfort, easy access into cab( he is 73 yrs old) and a decent tow rating. 4x4 a must for ranch...very sandy on some parts. I have 1 tons for heavy loads when that needs arises.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #34  
Would something like a Yukon and Suburban work... neighbor tows a lot with a 3/4 Yukon and he traded in his pickup because the ride was too rough.

Would something like a Yukon and Suburban work... neighbor tows a lot with a 3/4 Yukon and he traded in his pickup because the ride was too rough.

No, need a pickup to carry cattle cubes to feed out of back of truck, carry fence posts/wire etc/ Plus one of the trailers is a 20' gooseneck that will be pulled. A burb ir Tahoe would not work for him....but they do ride nice

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #36  
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull with. No half ton has the brakes, drive-line, or mass for towing regardless of manufactures claims.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #37  
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull with. No half ton has the brakes, drive-line, or mass for towing regardless of manufactures claims.

He is only wanting to tow 7-8000 lbs. do you really think a half ton truck isn't capable?

The 7-8k is including trailer weight. I think a 1/2 ton is more than capable from what I have read here and other places. Now its time to see what kind of deal we can find. A stripped down 3/4 ton Chevy is not bad on price in comparison to the 1/2 ton trucks. Seems hard to find a stripped down half ton with the tow ratings we want.
My father is not big on the all the electronic upgrades the new trucks have :laughing:

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #39  
That's the biggest problem with Ram. Look at the payload ratings on some of those 10000+ tow rated crew cabs. 1300 and 1400 lbs payload ratings. I hope they don't plan to tow and also have anything but a driver on board. Or they can haul passengers, but not tow anything or put anything in the bed. It makes no sense to me.
That was the problem the new hds are now there with the rest.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #40  

Its not 1995. These New 1/2 tons take the place of 3/4 ton trucks.

Chris