1/2 ton with best tow ratings

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #41  
The 7-8k is including trailer weight. I think a 1/2 ton is more than capable from what I have read here and other places. Now its time to see what kind of deal we can find. A stripped down 3/4 ton Chevy is not bad on price in comparison to the 1/2 ton trucks. Seems hard to find a stripped down half ton with the tow ratings we want.
My father is not big on the all the electronic upgrades the new trucks have :laughing:

I ordered my last two. You then get exactly what you want. Nothing more, nothing less.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #42  
I ordered my last two. You then get exactly what you want. Nothing more, nothing less.

Same here. I have ordered all but three of the 25ish vehicles we owned.

Chris

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #43  
Its not 1995. These New 1/2 tons take the place of 3/4 ton trucks.

Chris

So true..... Years ago I had a 3/4 ton chevy with a 400 CID engine. From what I remember towing with it, it was kinda gutless. I think it was around 185 HP and got 10-14 MPG. My newer 1/2 ton silverado with its 5.3 tows WAY easier, has 315 HP and gets better MPG. The steering and handling with the built in trailer brake and stability control is no doubt better, and safer .I get the brakes arguement, but a good set of working trailer brakes, on BOTH axles should have you covered.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings
.I get the brakes arguement, but a good set of working trailer brakes, on BOTH axles should have you covered.
Even the brake argument is not valid, part of the reason we have 17-18" rims on new is due to having bigger brakes vs the old 15" rim 1/2 ton trucks

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #45  
Even the brake argument is not valid, part of the reason we have 17-18" rims on new is due to having bigger brakes vs the old 15" rim 1/2 ton trucks

Yes the brake rotors in the f150 are larger diameter than the super duty. The super duty rotors are thicker though.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #46  
I think any 1/2 made today would fit the bill. I think I would look at it in a totally different way. I would go down and test drive each one and find the truck that drives the best. "Drive's the best" is very subjective so you really need to have your father sit in each one. I know when I was looking every brand had something about it that I didn't like. For example one brand seamed to like shifting (automatic) right at 50 mph. Anything lower than about 47 would kick it down and about 52 would shift back up when just cruising. After 5 minutes it drove me nuts.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #47  
The RAM 1500 can be configured to pull just over 10,000 pounds. Please see the attached towing sheet for the 2013 RAMs.

I just traded in one of these POS's yesterday after 4 months and 1800 miles. It would squat when I put a 330 pound roll of seamless gutter coil in it. I don't think it could pull a sick prostitute off of a toilet. It was no truck. It was a grocery getter with a Hemi and 4 wheel drive. But in all fairness, I'm sure it was not configured like the 1500 that you cite.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #48  
I just traded in one of these POS's yesterday after 4 months and 1800 miles. It would squat when I put a 330 pound roll of seamless gutter coil in it. I don't think it could pull a sick prostitute off of a toilet. It was no truck. It was a grocery getter with a Hemi and 4 wheel drive. But in all fairness, I'm sure it was not configured like the 1500 that you cite.

That's my big complaint with the rear suspension on the late model Rams. Its a SUV with a bed.

Chris

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #49  

My neighbor has an 2011 ram 1/2 ton with hemi and 4x4. He pulled an 18 foot bumper pull trailer with electric brakes and a 6000 pound tractor on it. It pulled it but it was squatted to the ground almost. He bought a duramax to farm with now though.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #50  
Dodge seems like they are going to extremes by having a 1/2 ton not sprung to haul anything in the bed and now they offer a version of the 3500 with a GCWR of 37600lbs. talk about a range ... they need to fix it so that the base 1500 can still be considered a truck... Not sure any one ton should be rated to that gross combined weight...

Last edited: