1/4" chain isn't strong enough

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I bought some U.S. made grade 70 1/4" chain for general use on the tractor. It has a working load limit of 3150 lb and thus a breaking point of 12,600 lb. I like it because it is so small and light and easy to work with. I found it really handy loading and unloading things from trailers. Using it with my FEL and my skid steer to pull out concreted in fence posts I have broke the chain more than once. After the third time I decided not to use it anymore and am switching to 5/16" grade 70. I didn't notice any damage to the chain or deformed links but it must have been stressed over time I guess because I don't see my M59 or my 322 skid steer putting over 12,000lb of lifting force.

Just wanted to post this as an FYI to others. Maybe if you have a subcompact it will do but not on the larger tractors.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #2  
I broke a 1/4" chain multiple times trying to pull out fatlighter stumps during my teenage years.

Then I switched to using a 1/2" logging chain, and never had any more breaks. :cool:

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #3  
I bought some U.S. made grade 70 1/4" chain for general use on the tractor. It has a working load limit of 3150 lb and thus a breaking point of 12,600 lb. I like it because it is so small and light and easy to work with. I found it really handy loading and unloading things from trailers. Using it with my FEL and my skid steer to pull out concreted in fence posts I have broke the chain more than once. After the third time I decided not to use it anymore and am switching to 5/16" grade 70. I didn't notice any damage to the chain or deformed links but it must have been stressed over time I guess because I don't see my M59 or my 322 skid steer putting over 12,000lb of lifting force.

Just wanted to post this as an FYI to others. Maybe if you have a subcompact it will do but not on the larger tractors.
Size the chain for the job... but personally I like a 5/16in chain for my duties around the property. Seems like a nice size to handle whatever I throw at it and it not getting too heavy or large to pack away and have on hand. To each his own though...

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #4  
Lifting, no you will likely never break the 1/4" with what you got. But pulling?

I have broke 1/4" and 5/16" chains with my little kubota. Usnig grab hooks linked back to itself dont help.

Anytime I do any serious tugging, I grab the 3/8" G70 chains. Only time I break them is with the BH

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #6  
I use the 5/16" chain to tie down my tractors for transport works well so far. I have noticed that I rarely tug and pull with a chain any more. While it was an every day occurrence when I used to help my dad years ago I seem to work differently now. Having a fel today is a big part of it, I carry most things I used to have to drag.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #7  
I believe most chain breaks are caused by damaged links. Might be damaged from the hook. Might be damaged from wrapping the chain around a sharp metal object or hanging it over the lip of the FEL bucket. The damaged link becomes the infamous "weakest link" in the chain and will be the breaking point. That applies to all chain sizes.

I agree with most comments here in regards to 5/16" chain. It's the best all around size. I carry 5/16" on the Ford. I carry 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" on the Kubota. I don't own a 1/4" chain.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #8  
I have 9/32" for light stuff, mostly use 5/16" and have some 3/8" for heavy stuff. I don't own any 1/2" If the 3/8" breaks, time to get 1/2"; other wise heavier than I want to handle.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #9  
I have 9/32" for light stuff, mostly use 5/16" and have some 3/8" for heavy stuff. I don't own any 1/2" If the 3/8" breaks, time to get 1/2"; other wise heavier than I want to handle.

I hear ya about the weight. I only drag out the 1/2" when pulling with both tractors or tugging on something I think might damage the lighter chains.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #10  

Lifting no, but I bet you were pulling too, in which case you have that kind of force easy.