1/4" chain isn't strong enough

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #11  
5/16" or 3/8" for me. Most of the hooks/etc are interchangeable between those two, which is a plus.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #12  
When I was a kid, my neighbor got a chain that was about 30 feet long with hooks on each end. It was from holding down Howitzers on the ship over to Viet Nam. The links were about an inch and 1/4 thick, each one about 10-12 inches long, about 4 inches wide. He never did hook it up to pull on anything that I know of, but it made some dandy front end weight in his rock box. :laughing:

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #13  
I use 1/4" chain most of the time and love it, I have two 6' x 1/4" chains that I keep handy, never had a problem. I keep some 3/8 around for heavy pulling and jerking, or if I just need a longer chain. I used to have a chain that the railroad had hooked to a d9 cleaning up a train wreck, I don't think I need that anymore with my little sub.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #14  
I use 1/4" chain most of the time and love it, I have two 6' x 1/4" chains that I keep handy, never had a problem. I keep some 3/8 around for heavy pulling and jerking, or if I just need a longer chain. I used to have a chain that the railroad had hooked to a d9 cleaning up a train wreck, I don't think I need that anymore with my little sub.

Ed, I think chain size is directly related to equipment size. With the tractors you list, I'd definitely use 1/4". Lot less hassle packing it around

I've saw chains like the one Ray described but never tried to use one. Ed, I'm not sure your tractors would tighten it. :)

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #15  
I keep a 1/4" 6' chain with a log choker on it in my RTV. It may be the handiest chain I own-it fits under the seat and I am always using it to move a fallen log out of a trail, etc.
Now that chain wouldn't be my first for serious log skidding or tying equipment to a trailer.

Will

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough
I agree with the purposes of the 1/4" chain. I was just saying most don't think about breaking chains with compact tractors but you certainly can break 1/4" under the right circumstances so be careful.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #17  
I will speak my peace again... I have settled on 5/16in for multi purpose use. As I mentioned in post #3 a smart person sizes the chain for the job but 1/4in is 'light' (in my opinion) and can't be abused like a thicker chain without consequences. For those that want to wrestle with different chain diameters... okay knock yourself out and carry more sizes than you really need. I say gauge up to what you anticipate and carry that size. We are generally talking tractors here and 1/4in doesn't cut it in my opinion. I ask myself, why buy 1/4in chain and worry about if it is 'enough'. Obviously, heavy machine guys need to go 3/8in or larger but for most of us common folk, 5/16in is the ticket. My :2cents:

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #18  
I will speak my peace again... I have settled on 5/16in for multi purpose use. As I mentioned in post #3 a smart person sizes the chain for the job but 1/4in is 'light' (in my opinion) and can't be abused like a thicker chain without consequences. For those that want to wrestle with different chain diameters... okay knock yourself out and carry more sizes than you really need. I say gauge up to what you anticipate and carry that size. We are generally talking tractors here and 1/4in doesn't cut it in my opinion. I ask myself, why buy 1/4in chain and worry about if it is 'enough'. Obviously, heavy machine guys need to go 3/8in or larger but for most of us common folk, 5/16in is the ticket. My :2cents:

+1... 5/16 grade 70 is the correct chain for most of us. If you tractor is bigger, then by all means have a 3/8 or even 1/2 But for the majority of us CUT owners 5/16 is just fine. I would consider 1/4 for maybe pulling up small brush with the FEL. It might grip the smaller diameter brush stems better. But for general pulling, from the drawbar, It is a bit small for my tractor.

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #19  
From the drawbar, 5/16 is fine for a CUT. But have broken it before. But that is harder pulls on dry ground from the 3PH for max power. Take the breaking strength with a grain of salt. While the WLL has a generous safety factor, Using a grab hook I doubt you would ever get near the ultimate breaking strength. Maybe half that.

Also important is shock loads. Chain dont give like a strap or cable does. If you do much jerking at all it is an easy way to weaken and eventually break the chain

/ 1/4" chain isn't strong enough #20  
From the drawbar, 5/16 is fine for a CUT. But have broken it before. But that is harder pulls on dry ground from the 3PH for max power. Take the breaking strength with a grain of salt. While the WLL has a generous safety factor, Using a grab hook I doubt you would ever get near the ultimate breaking strength. Maybe half that.

Also important is shock loads. Chain dont give like a strap or cable does. If you do much jerking at all it is an easy way to weaken and eventually break the chain
Yup. Shock loads, however brief are high loads in comparison to your tractor or load weight. Any jerk causes a deceptively hi multiplication factor in a 20 foot chain [Gr70] because it will only give elastically about 1 or 2 inch. After that the damage starts.
larry