10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520?

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #1  

rhomium

Fairly new to the forum, but I see a lot of you guys do quite a bit of mowing. Those that have 8'-10' mowers, how much hp does your tractor have pulling it? I have 13 acres of grass and alfalfa to mow, and I'm thinking of going with a 10' rotary pull type behind my '07 JD 4520, 45 PTO HP. Good idea or bad?

Thanks for any info.

JP

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #2  
The general "rule of thumb" seems to be that you need about 5 HP per foot of cutter. But more importantly you need to watch the weight of the cutter because it sticks out so far to the rear. Make sure you have the loader on or plenty of front ballast to safe. Wheelies are no fun on a tractor:D

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #3  
I pull a 10' Bush Hog behind my Ford 4610 which I think is a 52hp pto tractor. I'm not very experienced with tractors, mowers etc., but my gut tells me that my 4610 has the minimum pto hp you'd be happy with hauling a 10' mower. My mower is heavy and has a big gearbox that really lugs the tractor down at startup. My tractor has to work pretty hard when I get in really thick, heavy grass. I think your tractor can probably handle a 7 or 8' mower, but the 10' might be pushing it. I also have a Kubota L5030 and use a 7' 3pt mounted mower on it. It works well.

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #4  
My two cents, for what it's worth... I think you are really pushing the limits of a 4520 with a 10', but here's some food for thought. I have two 10' cutters, a Woods 121 and a Howse HD10DC, both of which weigh over 2000 lbs. I pull one with a NH 7610S (90 Hp) and the other with a JD 5403 (74 Hp). I also live in very hilly terrain. So, if what you are going to mow is flat, you might be OK. If the grass is thick, it's really gonna pull down that tractor. Specs on the Howse show a minimum Hp of 55, the Woods is 45. I would suggest a 6-8' cutter, or find a neighbor to cut the grass/alfalfa mix for hay. I think you will be happier, and your tractor will last much longer. Again, just my opinion.

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #5  
John Deere MX8 Semi mount.

40 pto HP

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #6  
beefeater said:
John Deere MX8 Semi mount.

40 pto HP

I lust for that mower with hydraulic offset...one of these days...

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #7  
bjcsc said:
I lust for that mower with hydraulic offset...one of these days...

Unless I'm mistaken, the MX-8 doesn't have hydraulic offset.

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #8  
froggy said:
Unless I'm mistaken, the MX-8 doesn't have hydraulic offset.
It does (it's an option), and it's sweet...here's a pic:

1895316180_wm.jpg

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #9  
Thanks, I had never seen that before and never saw it as an option. Do you have any idea what the option adds to the price?

/ 10' rotary pull mower behind a JD 4520? #10  
I'd have to go with that minimum 5hp/foot for that setup.

i run a 10' mower onmy ford 5000.. it has 67pto hp and handles it good. I have seen 5610's with 10' mowers as well.

In light growth.. the 45pto hp would probably do ya.. but if you hit heavy growth.. i imagine you will be taking a very low gear to get thru.

soundguy