10 years on TBN

/ 10 years on TBN #61  
I use it for bushhogging, discing and box blade work. The only complaint was traction, but filled rear tires helped with that. It is also very fuel efficient. Moss, tell me a little about the tractor in your avatar. I have a use for a compact machine with a loader to get into some tight spots that the 5103 wont work in.

Its a PowerTrac PT425 made by PowerTrac in Tazewell, VA.
Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac
American made. Factory direct only. NO dealer support. Great phone support and quick parts shipping if needed.
Several sizes of frames. 400 series are gas. All others are Deutz diesels.
Why I like mine? Garden tractor Kohler engine gets parts anywhere (new ones use Robin engines and have reported cold weather starting problems).
All hydraulic drive with 1 wheel motor at each wheel.
Forward is right foot, reverse is left.
Hydraulically articulated (bends in the middle). And oscilates +- 12% in center. Extremely stabile on rough ground and slopes.
Won't scuff the grass, either in tight turns.
Machine weighs about 1500 #
Can lift about 800#, but much less as you get away from the FEL arms.
All attachements on the front. Powered implements are hydraulically driven. Mowers, tillers, trenchers, stump cutters, etc...
Quick attach sytem means I can change non-powered implements in less than 15 seconds without getting off the tractor. Powered implemtents require me to hook up hydraulic hoses, so that adds another 30 seconds.
It fits in the back of a pickup truck with an implement attached.
Goes through a 48" garden gate (60" mower has to be disconnected and turned sideways, but the pallet forks and quick connect make that job a breeze).
Solid plate steel construction. NO sheetmetal or plastic anywhere.
Darn near bullet proof underside, too.
I could go on, but it really suits my needs very well. I actually look forward to changing attachments like a Swiss army knife. My old 3pt was not fun to do that on.

Drawbacks:
Limited lift height. Won't load a standard size pickup from the side. I have a car hauler trailer, so a non-issue for me.
One speed. No high/low range. 0-8mph. Great for mowing, moving material, etc... but not enough torque to pull ground engaging equipment.
So, tiller = yes, great but dirt plow = no way.
Can't pull stumps with it but can run circles around anything else when doing chores like mulch, gravel, snow removal, mowing, etc...

I guess you just have to analyse your chores and get the machine that does most of them the best. Price was outstanding for what it does. I'd purchase again, which is a good plug for PowerTrac.

Click on my little animated tractor icon. That'll take you to my old website, which has a bunch of videos of my PT425 in action.

/ 10 years on TBN #62  
MossRoad said:
Its a PowerTrac PT425 made by PowerTrac in Tazewell, VA.
Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac
American made. Factory direct only. NO dealer support. Great phone support and quick parts shipping if needed.
Several sizes of frames. 400 series are gas. All others are Deutz diesels.
Why I like mine? Garden tractor Kohler engine gets parts anywhere (new ones use Robin engines and have reported cold weather starting problems).
All hydraulic drive with 1 wheel motor at each wheel.
Forward is right foot, reverse is left.
Hydraulically articulated (bends in the middle). And oscilates +- 12% in center. Extremely stabile on rough ground and slopes.
Won't scuff the grass, either in tight turns.
Machine weighs about 1500 #
Can lift about 800#, but much less as you get away from the FEL arms.
All attachements on the front. Powered implements are hydraulically driven. Mowers, tillers, trenchers, stump cutters, etc...
Quick attach sytem means I can change non-powered implements in less than 15 seconds without getting off the tractor. Powered implemtents require me to hook up hydraulic hoses, so that adds another 30 seconds.
It fits in the back of a pickup truck with an implement attached.
Goes through a 48" garden gate (60" mower has to be disconnected and turned sideways, but the pallet forks and quick connect make that job a breeze).
Solid plate steel construction. NO sheetmetal or plastic anywhere.
Darn near bullet proof underside, too.
I could go on, but it really suits my needs very well. I actually look forward to changing attachments like a Swiss army knife. My old 3pt was not fun to do that on.

Drawbacks:
Limited lift height. Won't load a standard size pickup from the side. I have a car hauler trailer, so a non-issue for me.
One speed. No high/low range. 0-8mph. Great for mowing, moving material, etc... but not enough torque to pull ground engaging equipment.
So, tiller = yes, great but dirt plow = no way.
Can't pull stumps with it but can run circles around anything else when doing chores like mulch, gravel, snow removal, mowing, etc...

I guess you just have to analyse your chores and get the machine that does most of them the best. Price was outstanding for what it does. I'd purchase again, which is a good plug for PowerTrac.

Click on my little animated tractor icon. That'll take you to my old website, which has a bunch of videos of my PT425 in action.

Boy we have derailed this thread!! Thanks for the feedback. It sounds right for what I do, mainly cleaning horse stalls and adding gravel to driveway.

/ 10 years on TBN #64  
   / 10 years on TBN #65  
Derailments used to annoy me.... about 10 years ago... but being here for so long I've come to realize its like a flowing conversation around the pickle barrel at a country store. People come in and out of the conversation, only hearing what they hear while they're there. Ideas are exchanged, discussed, go off the original topic, Charlie comes back and asks about how the hay bailer turned out and we're talking atomic submarines by then. I could think of much worse places to hang out indeed.

/ 10 years on TBN #66  
   / 10 years on TBN #67  
I sometimes wish I still had Windows 3.01 and the original version of Quicken.

Bird was out in my shop and came across win.3.1 soft ware and also Quicken of same era. So looked back to see if remembered correctly That it was what you wanted.
Maybe a hard drive with it already installed.
Still want the soft ware Think still have your address .
ken

/ 10 years on TBN #68  
i remember switching from win 3.1/workgroups prior to win95, back when desqview was out. that and qemm memory manager. actually got some real multi tasking under desqview.... ;)

/ 10 years on TBN #69  
I'm a ways from the 10 year mark on here. But I've gotten a lot of great info and help from this forum too.

Congrats on sticking around for so long. I plan to be here for a long time myself.

Chad