1025R

/ 1025R #1  

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
Looking at replacing existing tractor with 1025R.
Will be used as backup mower
Maintain 500 ft gravel drive
General maintenance on ten acres
Generally flat with two acres wooded
Hope to get backhoe, aerator, sprayer and fertilizer spreader
Trading in jd 790 with loader.

Last edited:
   / 1025R #2  
My Dad loves his. Says it can be too small for some things, but makes it work.

/ 1025R #3  
Your current Deere 870 is a compact tractor weighing 2,600 pounds bare tractor, with 12" ground clearance. Usual implement width is 60".

The Deere 1025 is a subcompact tractor weighing 1,450 pounds bare tractor with 8" ground clearance. Subcompact Deere 1025 may high-center in your two acre wood. Everything under the tractor is vulnerable to damage. Usual implement width is 48".

The Deere 1025 will be considerably less capable due to its lighter weight and lesser ground clearance. Your Deere 870 Three Point Hitch implements may or may not be compatible with the smaller dimensioned Three Point Hitch on a Deere 1025.

Will be used as backup mower.
General maintenance on ten acres.

As a backup mower the Deere 1025 may be entirely satisfactory.

Few T-B-N authors recommend subcompact category tractors for general maintenance on more than three (3) flat acres, usually less.

MORE: Tractor Sizing - Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?

Last edited:
   / 1025R #5  
I would like into a 2 series. I was looking at the 1025r. Than ran across a 2720 used. Way more tractor and it would match the implements that you have.

/ 1025R #6  
I bought a 2025r a couple of years ago. You might look at one, like already mentioned a 1025r is smaller than what you have. A 2025r has the same loader as a 1025r but on a bigger chassis and bigger tires. They cost about $2000 more. The 1025r is a solid choice though.

/ 1025R #7  
Doesn't sound like enough tractor for 10 acres, I'd also prefer something with more ground clearance and real tractor tires.

/ 1025R #9  
If you have a specific need for that size tractor I’d agree the 1025r is the best in that category. If you are not size limited, then you can get way more tractor for your money. In my area I was quoted $600 more for a 1025r than a Bobcat CT2025 with the same implements, but larger. Far superior in every spec that matters.

/ 1025R
Update on purchase, tractor arrived at dealer early December. Wrong tires, correct tires are scheduled to be delivered in march.
wanted lighter tractor than existing to avoid damage to grass. Plan to upgrade implements in future

Last edited: