10ft cutter

/ 10ft cutter #11  
I like the Modern galvanized cutters made here in Texas...

/ 10ft cutter
Woods, Deere, Bush Hog, are all goo mowers by reputation around here. Bush Hog is the most expensive, but mechanics I have talked about said they make a high quality gear box. I have heard mixed about Howse. Sounder says they are good and I know him from the YT forum, so I will talk a long look at them.

/ 10ft cutter
I like the Modern galvanized cutters made here in Texas...

Do they have a good gear box? How long have you owned one? Good construction?

/ 10ft cutter #14  
I have an 8ft pull-type Landpride(RCR 3596) great mower just going to buy new batwing,so selling it.

/ 10ft cutter
Thanks for the offer, but I want a ten footer, plus I am going to buy new because I can't see whats in the gear box. Damage, and what not. Not saying yours is damaged, but that is where the wear happens and I can't judge it without tearing the box apart. Thanks anyhow.

/ 10ft cutter #16  
Thread hijack!! What kind of batwing you going to get for your 7040 there Foreman?

For a top notch ten footer look at the Shulte line out of Canada. They are owned by the Alamo group that also owns Bushhog brand and Rhino. We have a old Bushhog that has just run and run without any trouble they knew how to build them back 35 years ago!

/ 10ft cutter
Does anyone know who makes the Deere cutter for them?

/ 10ft cutter #18  
Thread hijack!! What kind of batwing you going to get for your 7040 there Foreman?

For a top notch ten footer look at the Shulte line out of Canada. They are owned by the Alamo group that also owns Bushhog brand and Rhino. We have a old Bushhog that has just run and run without any trouble they knew how to build them back 35 years ago!

The Shulte designs are much older than Alamo's ownership of Bush Hog.

/ 10ft cutter #19  
TXFord8n,

First of all, I hope you have a bigger tractor in mind! :D (sorry, I couldn't help myself)
About 20 years ago, I was shopping for a 10' myself. Bought a Hardee pull-type. It's a beast. It spent it's first 15 years (or so) behind a 100 hp tractor. (JD 4020, then a NH 7610S) It will basically digest anything that the tractor will run over. The only issue that I ever had was shearing off the input shaft on one of the side gearboxes, and that was my fault. I don't know if the current Hardee is the same cutter, but it could be.
Five or six years ago, I was shopping for a 7' 3ph cutter. I really wanted a Rhino TW84, but let the dealer talk me into a "great deal" on a Rhino SE7 that he still had in stock. He did give me a good price, but the SE series wasn't even close to the TW. (I believe that the Rhino models are currently referred to as the 200 and 400 series respectively) Not a bad cutter, but not heavy-duty enough to run behind a 100 hp tractor. I've bent the skirt a few times and I had to completely replace the tail-wheel assembly with a much heavier one.

Point is, buy as good of a cutter as you can reasonably afford. It will pay off in the long run. Economy cutters are for mowing grass, nothing else.

on edit:
Since you're in TX, you might want to check out the Modern Predator series. IIRC, they are built in Beaumont.

/ 10ft cutter #20  
Does anyone know who makes the Deere cutter for them?

Deere's cutters are made by Deere in a factory in Mexico. I think Deere actually owns the factory. Like ALL the other cutters made in USA they use gearboxes made in China. They seem to be high quality like the other major makers but they do charge extra for that green paint! :D