$1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #51  
I somehow missed this thread... I needed a hood for my Kubota M9 as I dented it and the Wolegoods price for just the top (it's a 3 piece hood) was 100 bucks. Took the hood off, took it to a local body shop with a pint of Kubota Orange 2 and a pint of light tan primer and had them fix it. Cost me 200 bucks and you cannot even find the dent. Pounded it out and used lead filler.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #52  
When I bought my 1999 lightly used L3710 back in 2003, the hood and gas door were damaged from the previous owner. It was obvious that it happened removing the loader. It probably saved me about $1,000 on the price of the tractor. I've never fixed it in the 20 years I've owned it and it has never bothered me.

I would talk my brother out of fixing it and give him a hard time about it whenever I could. LOL

Kevin
New tractor body parts = expensive.
Having a reason to torture your brother = priceless.
:ROFLMAO:

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #54  
I somehow missed this thread... I needed a hood for my Kubota M9 as I dented it and the Wolegoods price for just the top (it's a 3 piece hood) was 100 bucks. Took the hood off, took it to a local body shop with a pint of Kubota Orange 2 and a pint of light tan primer and had them fix it. Cost me 200 bucks and you cannot even find the dent. Pounded it out and used lead filler.
Excuse me, I missed a zero on my comment. The top part of the 3 piece hood was $1000 bucks.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #55  
If you actually assembled a complete tractor from new parts bought over the counter at a dealership, I bet the cost to assemble would be at least 10 times the cost of a complete factory built unit, maybe more.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #56  
I don't believe these prices are what they are because of the manufacturer, rather the mark up at the dealership. I've had two recent experiences with purchasing replacement parts, one for a motorcycle and the other for a commercial 3D printer.
I thought my fuel pump was going bad because it was blowing fuses, checked with dealer, they wanted nearly $500, friend who is a dealer rep, checked and told me the dealership cost was a little over $200, there was a $250 mark up (had it repaired, there was a recall for a wiring issue.) I just purchased a replacement glass build plate for a printer, dealer was $1000 plus shipping, called the glass manufacturer (who makes the glass for this company) and had it shipped to me for $650. I'm not buying that it's manufacturing and all of the other reasons people are claiming that parts are so expensive, I think a huge reason for these costs are the dealer mark ups.
I agree with the others, just repair it if it can be repaired, they're not heavy gauge stampings.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #57  
When I bought mine, it came with a plastic hood. If you didn't want a plastic hood, you could special order it with a plastic hood. ;)
So the standard hood is plastic but you can special order a plastic hood? What is the difference between a standard plastic and the optional plastic hood?

If the body part is truly a plastic, it can never be repaired if cracked. Plastic welding really does not work and adhesives will not stick. Fiberglass or sheet metal can be repaired.

As for the price of any service part, it is a money maker. That is why automobiles are stolen and stripped for parts.

Here is a story I have told before. Back in 1999, I worked for a company that made diesel engine shutoff solenoids. Bobcat was a customer, the guys who build the skidsteer loaders.

We built those solenoids in a facility in China at a cost of about $5.00 each. We sent them to a distributor in Japan, who sold them to Kubota Japan. Kubota Japan sold them to Kubota USA. Kubota USA sold them to the service group of Bobcat. Bobcat Service group sold them to the Bobcat Dealer. The Bobcat Dealer sold them to the skidsteer owner. I was the person who reviewed the warranty claims each month so I saw what the customer paid. The end user was paying about $250 per solenoid.

I now work for a company that manufactures components for agricultural and construction equipment. The markup from what we sell the part to the OEM has a 10X markup by the time the customer buys it.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #58  
Markup is how it universally plays. If a consumer actually knew the cost to produce versus the selling cost, most time they would be very very unhappy. When any part or assembly moves from the manufacturer to the retailer, every entity in the chain adds a markup. that is how they stay profitable. I imagine the hood cost under 5 bucks to stamp out and an additional 5 to apply the finish.

Better off taking it to a bump shop and getting it repaired.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #59  
You gotta give the custie what he wants. I guess.

I used to wonder why, oh why, people demand putting a brand new, OEM, sooper-expensive body part on a vehicle that was already half-way through its expected life-span.

So, in 10 years, when the rest of the truck is rusted to pieces, at least he'll have a good looking tailgate. The rest of the truck will be in the scrapyard, but the tailgate will be shiny.

I've seen 'junk aftermarket Chinese parts' out-last the OEM garbage. Usually not, but sometimes. Besides, my Ram was made in Mexico :)
I don't wonder why at all. The Chinese metal body parts are junk. You get exactly what you pay for.

The metal Chinese parts don't fit well, are often damaged or full of grinder marks, and have inaccurate character lines.

It's not unusual to have to router out the attachment holes to be able to fit them up.

But, the best part is, they don't temper them properly, so they damage easily. Often just installing a fender causes damage as you muscle it, to try get it to fit right.

Trust me, I have decades of experience dealing with this. I would never put a metal aftermarket part on any vehicle I own.

It was so bad at one point, my shop paid the difference and bought the oem parts, when the insurance company only paid for the Chinese ones. This was because we were spending the money anyway, wasting production time trying to use the Junk body parts.

/ $1100.00 For CK-20 Hood - ridiculous #60  
don't believe these prices are what they are because of the manufacturer, rather the mark up at the dealership.
The dealership is the last stop in a long line of markup's. First one is the manufacturer of a said part, second is the distributor, third is the wholesaler, forth and last is the dealer and you get to pay the piper.

Let me give you a short scenario on that. Years ago, I delivered steel strip to a company the made tie rod ends. I spied a bin of tie rod ends that sure as heck looked just like the ones on my F350 4x4 pickup and upon closer inspection they were. I had just paid 80 bucks for a pair (Moog) at the local 'discount auto parts store.

I inquired as to the cost and was told by the shop foreman that they sold them in hundred quantity to a distributor which put the 'Moog' brand on them and they each cost 25 cents to make, so in between the manufacturer (which was making a profit on them) and the discount auto parts store, the cost of a pair went from 50 cents to 80 bucks and that was all markup. Everyone gets their share and you as the end user gets to pay for it all. Like I said, trickle down and you are at the bottom of the food chain.

Welcome to the world of retail.

Try fabricating that part yourself (if you even can, which is doubtful) and see if you can produce it for 25 cents per. I highly doubt it.