12 volt conversion

/ 12 volt conversion
need to know what resistor you have and what coil you have.

I seriously dooubt you got a coil that claims it has an internal resistive element. coils today are simply produced with the correct diameter and length of the primary winding to produce the impedance requird ont he coil primary.

A coil like a napa IC14SB is 16$ and needs no external resistor.

how old is the ignition switch and how do the electrical connections look?

for a 12v system you want 3-3.5 ohms of primary resistance..

I personally would get rid of the power wasting resistor and get a real, native 12v coil like the IC14sb

soundguy

soundguy

:thumbsup: that's exactly what napa had sitting on the shelf :){now on my tractor}. They said at one time they were very common but now they only need one once in awhile, but they still keep them.

/ 12 volt conversion
Put a wire (#12) on the starter pole an bypass the resistor. when you hit the starter it will give 12 volt right to the points.When you let off starter it will see the resistor voltage, an save your points.
Army Grunt

I now have the coil that doesn't need the resistor, so I've bypassed{removed} the resistor all together. It I get it spinning fast enough{catch it just right} once I let off the starter button it will fire. As long as the start button is engaged it won't fire.

/ 12 volt conversion #13  
   / 12 volt conversion #14  
Put a wire (#12) on the starter pole an bypass the resistor. when you hit the starter it will give 12 volt right to the points.When you let off starter it will see the resistor voltage, an save your points.
Army Grunt

would be cool if that worked.. but WON'T.

the feed from the starter pole to the coil will flow current in both directions.. thus power will flow from the coil to the starter.. which has very low ressitance and will look like a short.

to do a bypass ignition setup you need a bypass style solenoid ( RELAY ).

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion #15  
:thumbsup: that's exactly what napa had sitting on the shelf :){now on my tractor}. They said at one time they were very common but now they only need one once in awhile, but they still keep them.

the ic14sb does not need a resistor to run on 12v.

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion #16  
I now have the coil that doesn't need the resistor, so I've bypassed{removed} the resistor all together. It I get it spinning fast enough{catch it just right} once I let off the starter button it will fire. As long as the start button is engaged it won't fire.

that is some serious voltage drop you got there... try this.

run a hot wire directly from the battery to the coil primary and see if it makes a difference. if it does, then you have bad connections in the ignition circuit.

if it don't. I'd say your bat cables are undersized or coroded, or have a bad connections.. bat is weak.. or starter is drawing way more than it should. shouldn't see less than about 10v on the bat when starter is spinning over.

post back.

you are using the oem interlocked thumb switch on the tranny cover and oem solenoid correct? or has it been butchered with a key start ignition.

if key start.. make sure you have the key wired correctly so the coil is getting power during the start spring loaded position.

PS.. i'd loose the key-to-start system.. it's dangerous and bypasses the built in safety interlocked starter setup

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion #18  
starting ok now.. or still has problems starting.

the ignition and starting ckts on these machines are painfully easy to maintain and repair.. so keep me informed on your progress so we cn get you going reliably.

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion #19  
Army Grunt

When you let off the starter the resistance of the starter is so low the resistor /coil lead will be at zero volts. The machine will start and not run. Add the relay.

/ 12 volt conversion #20  
yeah.. I think AG missed a day in basic electronics concepts class.. ;)

soundguy