12 volt conversion

/ 12 volt conversion
starting ok now.. or still has problems starting.

the ignition and starting ckts on these machines are painfully easy to maintain and repair.. so keep me informed on your progress so we cn get you going reliably.

soundguy

Nope it turns over but won't start unless I take my thumb off the starter button and it catches just right. I know I'm not explaining the best :eek: simplest way I can phrase it, starter engaged no fire...... starter disenagaged{release button} it fires if I'm lucky. Could a weak battery be the culprit? I replaced all the wires except what hooks to the battery{did clean them}

/ 12 volt conversion #22  
Nope it turns over but won't start unless I take my thumb off the starter button and it catches just right. I know I'm not explaining the best :eek: simplest way I can phrase it, starter engaged no fire...... starter disenagaged{release button} it fires if I'm lucky. Could a weak battery be the culprit? I replaced all the wires except what hooks to the battery{did clean them}

Are you getting spark during cranking? Maybe something wrong with keyswitch or wiring connections. Check if there is voltage to the coil (12 volts) during cranking. Maybe you have the coil connected to the accessory position. On cars this is turned off during cranking.

/ 12 volt conversion
This is a simple switch just one connection in and one out. I'll try and check all connections again as soon as I can get a chance. I've got to many projects going on at once, and the weather is crap.

/ 12 volt conversion #24  

i understand what you are saying.. but you need to check that it is making spark when turning over, as you may have something wired wrong so that the coil only gets power when not cranking.

if it gets spark but is weak when cranking.. then you need to check bat voltages, and voltage drops and lok at connections.

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion #25  
Hi! My idea Ignition circuit Bat. to switch to coil. And a second circuit bat to push button or start from switch to solenoid to starter. These circuits must be separate. Because when you start voltage can drop 5 or 6 volts or less. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ 12 volt conversion #26  
that's already how that ford should be wired anyway...

soundguy

/ 12 volt conversion
Okay I got a chance to look at it some today, it did seem to have a bad connector{new} on the wire that went to the switch. I fixed that, hooked up my jumper charger and it started like it should. I do believe my battery is toast, it doesn't seem to have enough umpf, and doesn't seem to want to take a charge. Thanks again for all the help it is appreciated :). It also goes to show even with new stuff{in this case wiring} there can still be issue's.

/ 12 volt conversion #28  
yep.. weak batteries will drag down farther than good ones.

good luck

post back if problems persist.

perhaps check with your auto's battery?

soundguy