120V MIG welders.

/ 120V MIG welders.
The duty cycle of 35% at 140 amps seems wildly better than my 135 Handler. I think it's only good for 70 amps at 35%.

This is true. It's probably only 20%@90 Amps. The 140 amps they advertise is a theoretical amperage as it can "spike" there, but consider yourself as owning a 90 amp welder. The duty cycle at the 140 amps would be less than 5%, or probably about 15-20 seconds out of 10 minutes IF it could make it there. There is a difference I believe.

/ 120V MIG welders. #23  
If there was any doubt about limitations, the more limited 100V the Japanese use would surely erase it.

I think you have to know the amperage of the 100v circuit to make that assumption. There will be more losses in the wire, but a 100v@24A supply can produce the same welding power as 120v@20A (------> right?).

/ 120V MIG welders. #24  
I think you have to know the amperage of the 100v circuit to make that assumption. There will be more losses in the wire, but a 100v@24A supply can produce the same welding power as 120v@20A (------> right?).

Unless I'm totally off base, total potential energy is volts x amps.

Nvm; I see what your saying.

/ 120V MIG welders. #25  
Dan, I'm curious if your 135 Handler has ever shut down mid-weld?

No but it might have something to do with my miserable "shop" conditions and my lousy skill set...neither of which has prevented me from having a bunch of fun.

For example, attached is what's left of a 1968 Honda CT 90 frame with a 2002 XR100R fork assembly among other mods. If you know these bikes, the steering head is far from stock having had the overall length of the head shortened along with the fork lock and other bits removed, the swingarm relocated and a bunch of mounting holes filled...all with my 110 volt unit.

20140710_125311.jpg

/ 120V MIG welders. #26  
This is true. It's probably only 20%@90 Amps. The 140 amps they advertise is a theoretical amperage as it can "spike" there, but consider yourself as owning a 90 amp welder. The duty cycle at the 140 amps would be less than 5%, or probably about 15-20 seconds out of 10 minutes IF it could make it there. There is a difference I believe.

Mark if this is a problem I have not come across it on my Hobart or Miller and I've made lots and lots of stuff over the years.

No but it might have something to do with my miserable "shop" conditions and my lousy skill set...neither of which has prevented me from having a bunch of fun.

Thats the way I like it. Careful letting out whats fun that's the next thing there will be a big running internet thread about banning it.

I have never had my welder(s) shut down. And by the way what if it did shut down (once?). And lets say you were NOT in the middle of a critical weld on a gas pipe with your 115v welder ( surely a common scenario for lots of TBN members :D ) ?

My welders are 20% duty cycle and I've never had any shut down in 20 years. My conclusion from my experience is that 20% is a good solid duty cycle for a hobby/maintenance welder.

/ 120V MIG welders. #27  
As the still owner, and ex-user of a 120 volt Arc welder I can tell you it would shut down after about a rod and a half of 3/32" 6011; that is until the duty cycle switch burnt up. After that you had to know to stop welding when you smell the wire insulation burning. BUT, it did do what I needed. Now, I use a cheap off brand 130 amp 240v, and it strikes an arc soo much easier.

/ 120V MIG welders. #29  
Yep. Mine is/was a Campbell Hausfeld, 70 amp 120v. There are several brands including Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight), Northstar (Northern Tooll), and a bunch of eBay sellers. The HF, and mine are low (50 amp) and high (70 amp) toggle switch for adjusting. No fan.

This 120v conversation has been going on a long time; I've got an old thread showing a middle buster plow I build with mine. Don't know how to link too it, but I'll "bump" it if you are interested.