14T baler (help ZZvyb6)

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6)
I've posted a few photos of my 14T for you to look at. Here are some comments re your last two posts. I am not sure what you mean about tucker finger cam lobe lining up with knotter frame. There's a picture of it attached - you can comment. The springs for the hay dogs and stop mechanism are in working order. The cam lobe on my baler is not at 12 o'clock in home position, It's more like 10 or 11 o'clock. But I think this is correct because the manual shows the cam lobe in this position when the baler is timed and in home position. i can post a copy of the manual page if needed. In looking at your you tube video it's apparent that my baler is an earlier or later model than yours so maybe that accounts for the difference. When the cam lobe is at 10 or 11 the set screw is about 2:00. I took off the set screw and it looks like its on the dimple. There is also a cotter pin that runs through the trip dog bracket and knotter shaft so maybe that helps keep the bracket in the correct position. In the picture you can see the cotter pin (the set screw is out but you can see it's location too). I agree that the problem must be related to the clutch/trip dog mechanism. I'll call JD dealer tomorrow and see if I can get replacements.

Anyway look at my pics and see if you see something out of order.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    813 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 321
Here's a couple of more pics

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    956 KB · Views: 234
   / 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #13  
A couple of things I see right away from your pics:

1) If those are flat spots on the trip dog roller, (looks like there are several), then the knotter drive is terminating early (just a tiny amount kills you).

2) The tucker finger cam follower and its roller are an inch or so away from contact with the cam in the home position. The follower is the roller deal to the south east of your bale counter in the picture. This can get bent (twisted) because of a loose weld or a twisted shaft. I'd recommend you straighten it back up so its in full contact with the cam lobe. Put a very large Cresent wrench on the arm with a length extender and bend it back while holding the end of the shaft. This means the timing of the tucker fingers and their delivery of the twine to the twine disks must be re-checked. Also, check the clearence of the tucker fingers to the needles so they don't make contact. Your machine must be making quite a racket when that cam lobe strikes the roller with that much play in it. I keep mine always in full contact.

If the trip roller has a major flat on it, then replacing it will sove your problem. While it;s in surgery, though, I'd readjust the tucker finger drive arm, the reset the tucker finger link lengths, and the needle lift link length.

All these things will make it live for another 100,000+ bales.

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #14  
Here's a shot of my knotter set up. I'm trying to show you the tucker finger cam follower in contact with the cam lobe on the main knotter shaft.

Now I understand the tucker finger cam follower. I'll bend mine back into shape and readjust tucker fingers. A quick phone call to JD suggests that the trip dog roller/bracket and clutch ring are no longer available for this baler. Maybe i can find a parts baler somewhere or see if a machine shop can replace the roller.

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for all your help - you're great.

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #16  
If you are not familiar with eBay, now is the time. There are several sellers parting out old 14Ts. Enter "14t" in the search box and limit the search to Business and Industrial.

Then pick out a part and look at the wording. Most sellers will offer you specific other parts they have not listed yet. Have at it.

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #17  
"Z",
I have been following your diagnosis of dgh baler woes. I have the same problem, only mine only misses detent by 1/2 in. I have noticed there seems to be side slop in both the clutch ring and bevel gear on feeder tooth to knotter drive. That is a splined shaft, and it appears tapered also, but the gears seem to have a bit of side play, resulting in gear lash. Do you know of the tolerances here? My baler is in excellent shape, even the sprocket teeth are square. But it won't stay in time due to the failure to rotate to detent, so obviously I'm over looking something. Sure is perplexing. So close yet so far! My knotters are of a generation earlier than yours, but I thought maybe... Many thanks for all your efforts.

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #18  
Woodruff key worn or broken? Key notch chewed up ? Its not splined. Its a keyed shaft.

Here's an update. I bought a used trip dog roller/bracket and knotter clutch on ebay. Should be here is a day or two. I'll let you know if it solves the problem. I'm as perplexed as you nugefan.

/ 14T baler (help ZZvyb6) #20  
I have a John Deere 14T and the other day when I was baling around a corner, the flywheel shear pin broke (which I replaced), but the thing I can't figure out is that the PTO slip clutch now turns freely on the shaft - IS THERE A SHEAR PIN there? I don't see one (have not taken it apart yet) and no mention of one in the manual.
Thanks.
Gary