1700 Resurrection

/ 1700 Resurrection #21  
As JC stated, start with the high dollar repairs first. You will be suprized how many parts you can find at places other than N/H. You can go on N/H site and get the part # and then Google it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bill

/ 1700 Resurrection
I've compared the pricing on items I've already gotten and by the time freight is included the dealer is cheaper, and only a day or two wait. I'm really impressed with this parts dept, hands down one of the best I've ever worked with over years of cars, 4 wheelers and jet skis. Huge plus is the machine shop is half a mile down the road. Since the tractor is hardly close to civilization, I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to knock it all out at once. Once I get home this evening I've got a question about alternator wiring, don't have my notes with me. No knocking me when I get around to pics, I'll basically be doing all this in the dirt

/ 1700 Resurrection #23  
, I'll basically be doing all this in the dirt

RedDirtDaddy,

Having a flat surface (concrete) to split tractor is very important as front and rear will bind somewhere if grade is not level, need to be able to slide the front forward in direct line is also very important. Being able to join both ends after clutch replacement is very important considering proper alignment of the splined input shaft. You also need clean work surface to overhaul the pump. it seems very difficult to keep the contamination in check working on dirt. Do you have a roof above where you are doing the work? Good luck, It is certainly a doable project but a barn, with cement floor and engine hoist , overhead gantry would certainly make it easier.

I always got a invisible guy that throws a monkey wrench in everything I do, I hope you "don't" get him to visit you.

Jc,

Last edited:
   / 1700 Resurrection
RedDirtDaddy,

Having a flat surface (concrete) to split tractor is very important as front and rear will bind somewhere if grade is not level, need to be able to slide the front forward in direct line is also very important. Being able to join both ends after clutch replacement is very important considering proper alignment of the splined input shaft. You also need clean work surface to overhaul the pump. it seems very difficult to keep the contamination in check working on dirt. Do you have a roof above where you are doing the work? Good luck, It is certainly a doable project but a barn, with cement floor and engine hoist , overhead gantry would certainly make it easier.

I always got a invisible guy that throws a monkey wrench in everything I do, I hope you get him to visit you.

Jc,

Understand completely, but have done WAY more than anyone's fair share of wrenching in the dirt. Where there's a will, there's a way!

/ 1700 Resurrection #25  
I did my split in the dirt, it was about level. One thing to look out for is to put a wedge on both sides of the front axle pivot to prevent the engine from rolling over to the side.

Russell

/ 1700 Resurrection
Will do! Any other tips?

I did my split in the dirt, it was about level. One thing to look out for is to put a wedge on both sides of the front axle pivot to prevent the engine from rolling over to the side.

Russell

/ 1700 Resurrection
Ok, so the alternator currently on the tractor has terminals labeled from left to right; E, S, L, B. S and B are the connector, with black wire going from S to L, and S having a red wire also going to B. B also has a yellow wire going to the starter solenoid, and a light green wire going to the voltage regulator. Terminal E has nothing connected and a dark green wire, that goes back to the voltage regulator, just dangling.

I do know the alternator is not currently charging, and the battery light is on. I don't want to make an assumption, but would the dark green wire just connect to terminal E?

/ 1700 Resurrection #28  
Ok, so the alternator currently on the tractor has terminals labeled from left to right; E, S, L, B. S and B are the connector, with black wire going from S to L, and S having a red wire also going to B. B also has a yellow wire going to the starter solenoid, and a light green wire going to the voltage regulator. Terminal E has nothing connected and a dark green wire, that goes back to the voltage regulator, just dangling.

I do know the alternator is not currently charging, and the battery light is on. I don't want to make an assumption, but would the dark green wire just connect to terminal E?

Here you go. This is the way mine is.

JC,

DSC09622.jpg

DSC09624.jpg

/ 1700 Resurrection
Yeah, mine isn't anything like that. Any idea of the outputs of each of those terminals?

/ 1700 Resurrection #30  
Yeah, mine isn't anything like that. Any idea of the outputs of each of those terminals?

My cheesy IT FO-44 reports all 1700s have Hitachi alt rather than Nippon Denso,:confused2: so I don't know why yours is not the same. I know terminal A with thick yellow cable is the output F is for Field terminal. F(W/B), N(Y) and E(B) go to regulator. Look at the attached pages that might shed some light for you. Have not had any issues with my alt to dig in to it further.

JC,