1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #1  

FrankJG

Tractor
Massey 1740M
It was -25C this morning when I did my snow removal run. The tractor heater was plugged all night before startup and I let it idle about 20 mins before going out to do my neighbours driveways which took me about 1h30.

I let it idle again when I came back home while I was shoveling my front porch and swept my wife's car prior to
my own driveway. Climbed in the cab and gradually open throttle to start snowblowing thats when dense stinky(cab air was set to fresh air) white smoke started to come out the exhaust along with a continuous flow of black soot. That smoke kept coming out for the half hour it took me to do my driveway. I could barely see in front with all that smoke. Restart the tractor later in the afternoon to check if it will happen again and it didnt.

It's not my first tractor and I'm working around a bunch of diesel equipment everyday, I know diesel tend to be smoky out in cold but never experienced that much smoke.

Dont know if that ever happen to someone else that own one of those no-dpf Sibaura engine ? Looking for some thoughts about that. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

I have just 85 hrs on the machine bought new in october. Did my 50 hrs engine oil change with AGCO multiguard 5w40 oil.

Thanks for your inputs.

Frank

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #2  
Wet staking in the cold, nothing more. Run the bags out of it and be happy.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #3  
It was -25C this morning when I did my snow removal run. The tractor heater was plugged all night before startup and I let it idle about 20 mins before going out to do my neighbours driveways which took me about 1h30.

I let it idle again when I came back home while I was shoveling my front porch and swept my wife's car prior to
my own driveway. Climbed in the cab and gradually open throttle to start snowblowing thats when dense stinky(cab air was set to fresh air) white smoke started to come out the exhaust along with a continuous flow of black soot. That smoke kept coming out for the half hour it took me to do my driveway. I could barely see in front with all that smoke. Restart the tractor later in the afternoon to check if it will happen again and it didnt.

It's not my first tractor and I'm working around a bunch of diesel equipment everyday, I know diesel tend to be smoky out in cold but never experienced that much smoke.

Dont know if that ever happen to someone else that own one of those no-dpf Sibaura engine ? Looking for some thoughts about that. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

I have just 85 hrs on the machine bought new in october. Did my 50 hrs engine oil change with AGCO multiguard 5w40 oil.

Thanks for your inputs.
Frank

In my opinion low idling a diesel does not keep the engine warm enough, especially in very cold temperatures. Idle at 1600 or 1650 rpm to keep the engine warm.
(This comes from the Case 2166 combine operators manual.)

I try not to idle my diesels but put them to work as soon as the oil is warmed up enough to reach all parts, which is an educated guess.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #4  
Combines don't plow snow last time I checked.............:thumbdown:

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature
Same here I let it idle at about 1400-1500 rpm except for the first few minutes after startup. I just find it weird that the smoke was worst with the engine hotter (1h30 of snowblowing including 12km of roading) all that at pto rpm speed (2500 rpm). My old 3 cyl Perkins was a smoke machine at cold startup but cleaner after the engine was hot kind of more what I'm expecting from a diesel engine. Thats why I was wondering if it has something to do with these no DPF engines.

We should receive a 6-8 inches of snow tonight so maybe I'll see if it happens again tomorrow.

Thanks

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature

Maybe somebody can fit some sort of a snow vaccum up front to load the snow in dump trucks :confused3:

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #7  
I also think some form of wet stacking is occurring. At relatively cooler engine temperature, not all the fuel burns. I really don’t know where it collects, but precombustion chambers, alongside of the rings or even in the crankcase oil come to mind. I think it’s a build up of unburied fuel that become warm enough to burn. It could also be unburied fuel and/or water condensation collecting in the exhaust manifold and muffler.
Perhaps you could observe the temperature gauge when hard at work and later, at idle. I’d bet it goes to pretty cold.
You might consider covering the radiator in cold weather, but watch the gauge for signs of too much air restriction. Or just shut it off if you won’t be working it. The engine will stay pretty warm for an hour or more, even in sub zero weather.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #8  
And 5030, yeah, everyone knows combines don’t plow snow. But they do have Diesel engines, which share almost all common characteristics between other Diesel engines.
So, try to glean the intended information from a post, rather than find one unrelated difference to point out.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #9  
If it does it again check the air filter and make sure it's not full of snow and the element isn't soaked with water.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #10  

His reference was valid.

I've saw Combines running in some pretty cold weather!!!