1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #11  
And 5030, yeah, everyone knows combines don’t plow snow. But they do have Diesel engines, which share almost all common characteristics between other Diesel engines.
So, try to glean the intended information from a post, rather than find one unrelated difference to point out.

He can't help it.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #12  
There has been some valid information presented here,
quite possibly some wet stacking and soot build up in the muffler and exhaust piping,
and a good possibility of snow or icing in the air filter.
One thing I do in the winter is cover up the air intakes on my grill, the tractor will warm up faster.
Including the hydraulics, also with a warmer ambient temperature under the hood it will lessen the
icing in the air intake and help to raise the exhaust temperature.
blades plugged in ready to go.jpg

This picture shows my high dollar grill cover, couple of bungee cords and a large trash bag.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #16  
There ya go. Thanks ruffdog!!! :D

I guess you can do anything with anything if you have the time and inclination. Never seen one around here. Most old used up combines wind up at the local fair's combine demo derby.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature
Thanks for all this information.
Just to give you an update I did my snow run this morning, outside temperature was much more comfortable, about -15C. This time
back to normal, no smoke at all except the usual one at startup. After doing some research about wet staking as I wasnt really sure
what it was (French speaking here) pretty sure that what it was. Especially that its seems to happen more often on new engines am I right about that ?

I will also keep note in mind about icing in the air filter element and maybe find something to put on the front grill to keep it warmer at really low temps. About your trash bag Lou it aint need to be pretty as long as it work, I'm a fan of cheap simple solution like that.

Thanks for every replies !

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature #18  
In addition doing something to the air filter intake to prevent the snow dust from the snowblower icing up the air filter try altering the engine RPM up or down by 150 rpm and see if it goes away. I have hear of a few that have had a sweet spot that smoke heavily in a very narrow rpm band under a light load in cooler temperatures or at altitude.

/ 1740M massive exhaust smoke in cold temperature
Thanks for your reply. Actually the smoke was proportional to rpm, more rpm more smoke. It seems like it was a one shot deal since it didnt happen again. If it does it again I'll remember all the advices I had here.