18-24hp diesel tractor question

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #1  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
In the near to distant future i will be looking at buying a small diesel tractor primarily for mowing. Something in the 18-24hp range. As well as something in the $2k-3k price range...so thats mostly models from the 1980s.

Whats the largest finish mower that something with that HP can use? Can they take a bigger mower than say my 24hp 48in wide lawnmower now? I dont wait for the grass to be 12in tall to mow.

Is there a specific make/model i should shy away from? I am looking for a big name brand. Kubota, Ford, Yanmar, Bolens, Mitsubishi..who else?

I have a large tractor with a loader and a mini excavator so digging or major work wouldnt be done by this machine

Last edited:
   / 18-24hp diesel tractor question #2  
VIDEOS (2): Comparing Finish Mowers (midmount VS 3-point) - Kubota B261 - YouTube

*NEW* Kubota BX 8 series (BX238, BX188, BX268, BX23s) - YouTube

How many acres will you mow regularly?

Is the land smooth?

Calculate acceptable mowing time:
LINK: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Kubota's Land Pride manufactures FDR25 Three Point Hitch mounted grooming mowers in 72" and 84" operating width.

Land Pride FDR36 in 90" operating width. (30-hp to 60-hp)

Kubota makes ZD1500 series 31 horsepower diesel Zero Turn mowers with 72" cutting width.

Last edited:
   / 18-24hp diesel tractor question
Ops i should have specified im looking at a $2k-3k price range tractor.

Area is mowed with a lawnmower now.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #4  
Certainly the dealer produced Kubota videos are biased toward their product. This is NO surprise. You have been a member for some time, so no doubt you have viewed a # of posts relative to your quest. Not a fan of mid-mount mowers. Differing opinions abound on this topic.

Actually, if a FEL isn't imp as noted, a quality zero turn is a very efficient tool for mowing. An out front mower works well and the F series Kubota w/ 39 hp is a beast that can reach in under a tree canopy with ease.

A 24-26 hp compact should handle a 72 inch finish mower. My small Ford handles a 90 inch mower, no issues.

An F series Kubota is AWD which is helpful in wet/slippery conditions.
If a conventional compact is still your goal, see below. I would caution that one day plans may change. Selling a used compact absent a FEL carries a $$ Penalty. So even if not needed, a wise feature to purchase. Models change so loaders for older tractors become scarce. Few buy a compact w/o FEL.

If you live in an area serviced by RK Tractors, take a look at the RK 24. Very friendly website, net out the door prices clearly visible.

EDIT: That is a rather significant OOPS !!! Jeffy may invoice you for research time !!!!

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #5  
For $2,000 to $3,000 you can buy a gas lawn & garden tractor at one of the Big Box stores.

You should be able to find a previously owned 18-24hp diesel tractor in that price range.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #6  
In the near to distant future i will be looking at buying a small diesel tractor primarily for mowing. Something in the 18-24hp range. As well as something in the $2k-3k price range...so thats mostly models from the 1980s.

A diesel tractor is not really your best option for mainly mowing. If for no other reason, because of the weight. You're looking at 2,000 lbs plus with the mower and operator (you) and that can leave some major ruts in lawn areas. Not as much of an issue in fields or places not really safe for standard mowers.

If you don't have any other uses for one (since you have a bigger tractor & loader), you'd be better off looking at a mowing machine.

I drive my 1 ton dump on my lawn. Its not the kind of lawn your thinking of...its more of a area that green stuff grows.

Im removing some trees thus extending the grass area.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #8  
To be honest, that's a tough price range. If you find one you are probably talking either a 60" or 72" mower tops, depending on the size of the engine. I own a BX and they have been around for a while but I have never seen one that cheap unless its broken. Some of the really early Kubota's could maybe be bought for that kind of money.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #9  
For that price you are looking at a grey market tractor like a Yanmar in a 1700 series. Going to be very difficult to get that in a Kubota unless it is older and has lots of hours. You can find older 8N Fords for that but they will not be parade queens. If mowing is your primary task you could purchase a dedicate machine. This spring I found a Toro Groundsmaster and it has been a great addition.

Attachments

• Toro 1.jpg
    Toro 1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 132
I have time to wait. My current lawn mower still works for the moment. There are a few tractors forsale within 1hr drive at the moment. I have not seen one with more than 600hrs localy.

My larger tractor is a 1957 ford 851 so i dont really mind old. I actualy dont like the newer stuff. Thus part of my reason in looking for a older tractor not a lawn mower.

My current lawnmower is a husqvarna 24hp 46in deck. Built about 2013. Its a total piece of crap. The engine isnt bolted down properly from the factory, keeps blowing out exhaust gaskets dues to it and Deck dosnt go high enough for my needs. I have adjusted the **** out of it and just wont go any higher. All this and it has 170hrs.