18-24hp diesel tractor question

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #11  
I almost hate to say it, but for your price range, an 8n with a 5' 3 point mower might be the way to go. It'll run the finish mower with no problem, it's easy and cheap to find parts for and easy to fix, it's light enough to not rut things up even with ag tires (unloaded), it doesn't really need power steering, the large tires mean you can still go at a pretty good clip on a non lawn area and you won't have a problem finding one for sale. Just make sure you use an overrunning coupler on the PTO, be prepared to grit your teeth about the non live hydraulics, convert it to 12 volts if it isn't already, don't worry about the low oil pressure when she's hot and be amazed at how fast and reliably the old fossil cuts!

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #12  
And again, I say if you don't have a need for the digging or other ground engaging functions, you could consider an older garden tractor type machine. Some of the older Deere 200/300 series or Sears Suburban types can do all you ask and more.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #13  
In the near to distant future i will be looking at buying a small diesel tractor primarily for mowing. Something in the 18-24hp range. As well as something in the $2k-3k price range...so thats mostly models from the 1980s.

Whats the largest finish mower that something with that HP can use? Can they take a bigger mower than say my 24hp 48in wide lawnmower now? I dont wait for the grass to be 12in tall to mow.

Is there a specific make/model i should shy away from? I am looking for a big name brand. Kubota, Ford, Yanmar, Bolens, Mitsubishi..who else?

I have a large tractor with a loader and a mini excavator so digging or major work wouldnt be done by this machine

I solved that problem with a Ferris IS700Z for $7200 purchased new 2 years ago. Having spent 40 years on this farm and having had 24 or so tractors with half a dozen or more different types of mowers (currently have 5 and 6' rotary, 3 pt mowers.....5' was specifically bought for the 2400 and that mowing idea didn't work), I find the ZT a super solution for fast, comfortable mowing.

I didn't buy the 2400 for mowing as the primary objective but having bought it and the mower, found that it was a waste of money if just used for mowing. The large, chassis sprung ZT is the answer.....and you can mow really fast which mitigates any concern for gasoline as the fuel. I got the BS 26 hp Vanguard and run about 1-2 gallons per acre....depends on how many turns and objects I encounter.....plus the mower was half the price I spent on the 2400 and mower.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question
I may have fought you guys a bit on the zero turn thing but you were right.

Picked up a bobcat crz 48in with 120hrs for less than half of new. This thing cuts FAST! These bo cat mowers are way more beefy than my husqvarna/craftsman.

It does have a intermittent no crank but i think its the solenoid after some testing. Im going to service the hydros, engine oil and sharpen the blades. It should be all ready for the fall leaf clean up.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #15  
I may have fought you guys a bit on the zero turn thing but you were right.

Picked up a bobcat crz 48in with 120hrs for less than half of new. This thing cuts FAST! These bo cat mowers are way more beefy than my husqvarna/craftsman.

It does have a intermittent no crank but i think its the solenoid after some testing. Im going to service the hydros, engine oil and sharpen the blades. It should be all ready for the fall leaf clean up.

:thumbsup:. . . happy cutting.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #16  
Ha, and problem solved. And just as I was going to add that we have a 2003 Farm Pro 2420 with a 5' finish deck I'd sell ya for $3000. Oh well...

Steve

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #17  
I had an 18 hp Allis Chalmers diesel with a 5' finish on the 3 pt. Worked ok. My current 2400 runs a 5' rotary (bush hog) type thing ok but I don't use the mower I bought with it.

You aren't going to find much for your price range of any size unless you go to a big box store and buy one of their lawn mowers. This time of year the conventional rider, Husqvarna 46" two blade with a 22 HP V twin should be a cutting dude for around $2k.

I have the 20 hp V twin 46 I've had for over 600 hrs and it's a cutting dude. I like it because it has plenty of power, light when I need it, can mow slopes without worrying about tipping over, the deck is deep and smooth, makes tight turns and since I changed out the seat springs and let the tire pressure down to 10 psig.....smooth ride on rough terrain. With only 2 blades and the curved/deep cutting deck it sweeps the clippings out really well and even cutting wet grass it seldom needs cleaning. I can't say that for any of my other lawn mowers with 3 blade welded plate decks. .....the tractor mounted bush hog things remain clean however.

Buying a new one for that price and you are out the door with new equipment. Buy an old tractor/3pt mower and you have just that....old equipment that needs attention more than likely for that price range. Besides you can mow circles around that tractor setup unless you are up in knee high weeds and brush type thing.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question
Thanks for your thoughts but new equipment means nothing to me. Its all nice when its new.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #19  
Thanks for your thoughts but new equipment means nothing to me. Its all nice when its new.
Interesting comment. My experience with other than new has always been.....just how much will this cost me in time and money to get it in working order....if that's possible, or ok so it works now but for how long?

You aren't going to get into anything decent with your posted budget unless you are real lucky......and decent means does the work for which intended, has nothing to do with looks. Craigs list has used riding mowers well within your budget.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #20  
more info on what you're mowing.

I went to a zero turn (toro, new timesaver model, from a dealer not a big box store, just over 3k w/ options) - it's fast and good at mowing, better than any tractor I've had.

HOWEVER, slopes are not it's strong suit, but cub cadet (and others now) make zero turns with steering wheels (instead of caster front wheels) that should be as good.

MUCH faster to mow the same size yard than previous tractors w/ gear, hst, more hp, wider decks, etc.

I can mow my 2 acres in less time than the neighbors mow their 2 acres - with his and her riding mowers, including a new husqavarna!

I had an old kubota L175 with 50" woods deck, mowed nice but slow, scalped and would not do tall/wet grass without running very very hot. and not any better on slopes than the zero turn - and a LOT slower than the zero turn, but it did use less fuel per hour. Got it cheap at $700 needing work, sold it for $2700 (new blades and belts, added a ROPS, cleaned it up a lot, oil/filter changes (nearly $200!)