18-24hp diesel tractor question

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #21  
Thanks for your thoughts but new equipment means nothing to me. Its all nice when its new.

got my first zero turn new - it has 140 hours on it and other than replacing a spindle pulley (hit a rockand the weld to spindle broke) it just works.

Got a 2004 one, $550. Looked used but no rust, wear on the deck mounts, etc. Nice condition. Well..it's had issues. First mowing found out it was missing it's fuel pump..wouldnt run on any slope or less than 3/4 tank.
Muffler needed welded.
coil died (improperly installed)

Currently sitting due to oil leak..burns some but dumps 1/2 qt per acre mowed. Hopefully an easy crank seal...likely an engine (450 and shipping). Oil soaked belts need replaced now ($100).

Gonna have 1500 in this before long..cheaper than new, BUT the hassle factor is terrible. Have to keep fetching and moving mowers around to keep the yard cut. Waste of my limited time.

Debating what to do..write it off now (and be out $700), fix it ($600 plus) and still have a used mower that I hope nothing breaks on it..jury rig it and sell it and try to recoup as much as possible...then I have to buy a mower to replace it...

My experience, from buying AND selling - just about NOBODY sells a good used mower. We ALL need one, for life. You sell one...because it's become a maintenance headache, money pit, unreliable, etc.

MAYBE if someone is moving or just died...i'll look at their mower.

Got my used one from a kubota dealer...no guarantee it's any good. Started nd test drove just fine. Had a nearly flat tire with a slice in the sidewal..still holds air, leaks not a drop. It's the stuff you can't see that get ya!

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #22  
My 2009 "craftsman" DYS4500 - 26hp kohler w/ 54" deck - is an amazing mower, and despite beating the heck out of it regularly it hasn't complained yet, and I occasionally mow 30" weeds (we have a small proper lawn which doesn't have proper grass on it, plus about three acres that get mowed a lot in the spring and early summer, though not enough to keep up with so I end up mowing some places more and other places I put off till it's ridiculously heavy and tall), definitely not what it was built for.

Personally if you're mostly looking for mowing, I'd stick with a good lawn tractor mower

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question
Guess you didnt read any of the other posts.

My 2009 "craftsman" DYS4500 - 26hp kohler w/ 54" deck - is an amazing mower, and despite beating the heck out of it regularly it hasn't complained yet, and I occasionally mow 30" weeds (we have a small proper lawn which doesn't have proper grass on it, plus about three acres that get mowed a lot in the spring and early summer, though not enough to keep up with so I end up mowing some places more and other places I put off till it's ridiculously heavy and tall), definitely not what it was built for.

Personally if you're mostly looking for mowing, I'd stick with a good lawn tractor mower

I use to do the same thing. Only mow sections and leave some until its long. Mowing with a lawnmower takes alot of time. I use to have a 50 something inch craftsman gt5000 25hp. I could never get the deck high enough for my rough areas and the deck would scalp like crazy and break deck wheels off. I went to a 22hp 46in and actualy cut the time down. It had better turning radius and hydrostatic. I still couldnt mow fast as it just didnt have the blade speed.

I bought a bobcat CRZ 48in 19hp kawasaki. I can get the deck 2in higher and mow at top speed. I easily cut my mowing time in half and in the week that i have owned it alreaty know that i will never buy another lawn tractor.

If you think any craftsman/husqvarna mower is an amazing mower you havent seen even a residential grade name brand mower. Everything is beefy on this bobcat.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #25  
I use to do the same thing. Only mow sections and leave some until its long. Mowing with a lawnmower takes alot of time. I use to have a 50 something inch craftsman gt5000 25hp. I could never get the deck high enough for my rough areas and the deck would scalp like crazy and break deck wheels off. I went to a 22hp 46in and actualy cut the time down. It had better turning radius and hydrostatic. I still couldnt mow fast as it just didnt have the blade speed.

I bought a bobcat CRZ 48in 19hp kawasaki. I can get the deck 2in higher and mow at top speed. I easily cut my mowing time in half and in the week that i have owned it alreaty know that i will never buy another lawn tractor.

If you think any craftsman/husqvarna mower is an amazing mower you havent seen even a residential grade name brand mower. Everything is beefy on this bobcat.

Sounds like a good beast; when my craftsman dies (probably by busting its hydrostat would be my guess), I'll look into that. Can you pull a cart with the CRZ? A major use of our mower is to pull a small (~10cu ft = ~1/3yd) cart with various clippings or manure.

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #26  
If you are spending your money on something to mow grass spend it on something designed from the start to mow grass. A small diesel tractor is great for odd jobs but not great for mowing. My Zero Turn mower will mow my 1.1 acre with 35+ mow around objects in half the time the old lawn tractor type could. Plus it leaves a better cut and I am amazed at how much less fuel I use. A tractor mounted finish mower cannot compete in any way, shape, form, or fashion with a purposely design zero turn. Don't throw your money and time away just to have the tractor.

One who has been there.

RSKY

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #27  
I may have fought you guys a bit on the zero turn thing but you were right.

Picked up a bobcat crz 48in with 120hrs for less than half of new. This thing cuts FAST! These bo cat mowers are way more beefy than my husqvarna/craftsman.

It does have a intermittent no crank but i think its the solenoid after some testing. Im going to service the hydros, engine oil and sharpen the blades. It should be all ready for the fall leaf clean up.

Commercial mowers are not big box mowers so don't expect the same performance. Wink!

/ 18-24hp diesel tractor question #28  
Well this may be the time to hit Craigslist for your area. The inexpensive used tractors occasionally show up. However have money in hand because if the tractor usuable at $2,000-3,000, it will sell quickly.

Does anyone actualy read previous posts?

CLIF NOTES
Bought a bobcat CRZ. Im happy with it.