1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #11  
I would look at grounds also, including the mount surface of the solenoid itself.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter
did it ever start correctly after this? or did you have to start jumping at that point?
Yes. After I rebuilt the starter last fall, started up first time properly, with key, same battery as now.
That indicates a possible problem with your existing ground cable. By jumping the negative cable to the frame you bypass the ground cable and it starts.
It will start if I jump on the neg battery post as well. I've tried both ways. Jumper neg cable on battery neg post OR on frame. Starts either way.

Hot post on battery.

I would look at grounds also, including the mount surface of the solenoid itself.
Ok. Will do. So where the solenoid mounts to the starter could be grounded improperly? Not sure I understand, sir.

Maybe when you get it running see if it is charging just a thought
No ammeter on the dash. Any other way I could check whether the battery is charging while the engine's running?

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #17  
Ok. Will do. So where the solenoid mounts to the starter could be grounded improperly? Not sure I understand, sir.
yeah its possible, its a magnet, has to get the - charge somehow. although its more likely its cabling (including corrosion inside not visible) thats the issue.

but before going too nuts I just realized there is one thing you did not mention.
did you put battery on a charger for a few days?
you mention starting by jumping but never said you actually charged the battery.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #18  

Just popping in...
The solenoid case is grounded to the starter case, and the starter mounting bolts generally ground the starter case itself.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #19  
Yes. After I rebuilt the starter last fall, started up first time properly, with key, same battery as now.

It will start if I jump on the neg battery post as well. I've tried both ways. Jumper neg cable on battery neg post OR on frame. Starts either way.
If that's the case, the cables don't make much difference. I think you need to revisit the battery. Do you have another one you can stick in and try it?

yeah its possible, its a magnet, has to get the - charge somehow. although its more likely its cabling (including corrosion inside not visible) thats the issue.

but before going too nuts I just realized there is one thing you did not mention.
did you put battery on a charger for a few days?
you mention starting by jumping but never said you actually charged the battery.
I had not done that, but will put it on charge tonight. Thanks. The ground is the strap type, about 10" long. The positive cable is about 2' long and has the old type lead terminal. I keep brass terminals on hand to replace whenever an old lead terminal breaks. Reckon it could be my alternator?