1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #21  
I didn't say charge it. I said replace it.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #22  
Ok. I have volt meters. How does low tire pressure figure in? Thanks.
I believe he was just "funning" and where I sit it looks like you might possibly be doing the same. Even first time newbies ALWAYS clean cables and posts then charges battery before throwing in the towel.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #23  
Cheap voltmeter from anywhere will
check your voltage also a little screwdriver to back of alternator if it is charging will grab it
Creates a electromagnet effect

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #24  
IF voltmeter says alternator is putting out about 14 Volts (+/-) the alternator is working....

Personally after checking alternator voltage I would have battery load tested and clean all the terminals at battery to bright and shiny (battery post & cables) and ground connection at frame...

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #25  
Sometimes if you have a weak solenoid, adding the juice of the jumper will then engage it….. but normally I think you would get a click from your other battery…. If it sat all winter it just seems like a dead battery? And yes, batteries can short out, at any time.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #26  
First off I'd do a quick test of the battery by placing a test light on it. If the light fails to come on or fades quickly the battery is suspect. Pull it off and take it to a parts store to be tested if you do not have a tester.

If the battery is good, but not charged, the charging system has failed.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #27  
My problem is normally a loose or dirty ground to the battery (because most things work, but cranking doesn't). It's hard to believe the first 20-30 times, but it's the first thing I check now.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #28  
Fellers. I bought a '74 MF150 about this time last year. 1249 hours. Had the fuel injector pump rebuilt mid-summer, and I rebuilt the starter and installed new key switch early fall. Started using it mid-Winter but the only way I can get it to start is by jumping the battery. Turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. I've tried removing cables after running for a while, thinking something might be grounded and pulling power. No change. The battery is a NAPA Legend July 2022. Reckon the battery's gone bad that quick? Any help will be appreciated.

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #29  
Fellers. I bought a '74 MF150 about this time last year. 1249 hours. Had the fuel injector pump rebuilt mid-summer, and I rebuilt the starter and installed new key switch early fall. Started using it mid-Winter but the only way I can get it to start is by jumping the battery. Turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. I've tried removing cables after running for a while, thinking something might be grounded and pulling power. No change. The battery is a NAPA Legend July 2022. Reckon the battery's gone bad that quick? Any help will be appreciated.
You may have a dead cell in your battery. It happened to me before and even if I was to put the booster cable on it it wouldn't do anything . I had to disconnect the battery cable and use the booster cable directly with the cables

/ 1974 MF150 Diesel Won't Start Without Jump Starter #30  
My Dad always said KISS, Keep It Simple STUPID!

After the tractor has been siting for a day check the voltage on the battery. If it is less than 12 point something it is the battery. If it is 12 point something have someone hold the multimeter on the battery and turn the key. If the volts go down the battery is bad.

I would never buy a battery at NAPA. Their warranty sucks! Both of my MF's, Kubota, house Generac and my Hobart welder all have AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) from of all places WalMart. They cost about $200, they are sealed, so no maintenance required and they come with a 4 year warranty. You can't buy an Optima for that price or warranty.

Good Luck!