1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #41  
I owned a TO 30 for 15 years. The chain works great for keeping your mower in place, you can raise it as high as you want, lower it to where you want to do your cutting and have your chain stop the mower at that spot. Keep an eye on your guages, mine weren't very reliable, my oil pump failed and the engine seized and had to put a rebuilt engine in it. I'll never forget that huge metal seat, big enough for the largest butt but extremely uncomfortable.

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #42  
I owned a TO 30 for 15 years. The chain works great for keeping your mower in place, you can raise it as high as you want, lower it to where you want to do your cutting and have your chain stop the mower at that spot. Keep an eye on your guages, mine weren't very reliable, my oil pump failed and the engine seized and had to put a rebuilt engine in it. I'll never forget that huge metal seat, big enough for the largest butt but extremely uncomfortable.

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #43  
Check Chains are sounding better and better.

Would a Tachometer be of any benefit to me? Or is it bad to add gauges to antique tractors (ruin the value)?

I wish it had a tach. I am used to having them on equipment.

Whether I do or don't get one... Can anyone explain the markings on this one -- I think it goes to an 8N:

Attachments

• 890627-8n tach.jpg
    890627-8n tach.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 258
   / 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #44  
Check Chains are sounding better and better.

Would a Tachometer be of any benefit to me? Or is it bad to add gauges to antique tractors (ruin the value)?

I wish it had a tach. I am used to having them on equipment.

Whether I do or don't get one... Can anyone explain the markings on this one -- I think it goes to an 8N:

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #45  
Yep.. that is a 8n or other 4spd tach.. the outter ring is the rpm x 100.. the inner rings numbered are the gear ranges and mph for ground speed.

For example.. at the listed 536 rpm onthe pto.. your engine speed is about 1500 rpm, and ground speed for 1,2,3,4 is:

2.6mph, 3.3 mph, 4.25 mph, and 10mph.. etc.

If ya want a tach, and don't want to hack and slash one on.. get a watch battery inductive pickup tach for a lawnmore or small engine.. i think northern tool sells them.. then wrap the pickup around a plug wire and stucky tape it to the dash...

Soundguy

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #46  
Yep.. that is a 8n or other 4spd tach.. the outter ring is the rpm x 100.. the inner rings numbered are the gear ranges and mph for ground speed.

For example.. at the listed 536 rpm onthe pto.. your engine speed is about 1500 rpm, and ground speed for 1,2,3,4 is:

2.6mph, 3.3 mph, 4.25 mph, and 10mph.. etc.

If ya want a tach, and don't want to hack and slash one on.. get a watch battery inductive pickup tach for a lawnmore or small engine.. i think northern tool sells them.. then wrap the pickup around a plug wire and stucky tape it to the dash...

Soundguy

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30
Does it devalue the tractor much to put something on that is not original ie a tach?

Second, when I mow and I pull in the clutch, it motor revs really high. Is that a governor problem?

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30
Does it devalue the tractor much to put something on that is not original ie a tach?

Second, when I mow and I pull in the clutch, it motor revs really high. Is that a governor problem?

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #49  
Most collectors don't like to add non oem parts to their tractors that were not typically used on them.

That's why the little digital ones that use a watch battery and a pickup wire, and are just sticky taped to the dash are popular.

If your tractor is under load, particularly heavy load, and you push in on the clutch, it is normal for the engine to speed up a little from being unloaded.. generally it will settle down to about the same rpm, or just a tad higher. In a case where you are lugging the engine.. that is loading it down past what the governor can make up for, I would then expect it to find a much higher rpm when you pushed the clutch in, as whent he gov backs off, the unit won't be able to lower rpm enough to match the rpm from when the unit was so heavilly loaded.

In general, if your gov makes up for load, and is fairly fast at correcting for throttle changes, and doesn't surge, it is working ok.

Soundguy

/ 1st Tractor - several questions 1952 Ferguson TO30 #50  
Most collectors don't like to add non oem parts to their tractors that were not typically used on them.

That's why the little digital ones that use a watch battery and a pickup wire, and are just sticky taped to the dash are popular.

If your tractor is under load, particularly heavy load, and you push in on the clutch, it is normal for the engine to speed up a little from being unloaded.. generally it will settle down to about the same rpm, or just a tad higher. In a case where you are lugging the engine.. that is loading it down past what the governor can make up for, I would then expect it to find a much higher rpm when you pushed the clutch in, as whent he gov backs off, the unit won't be able to lower rpm enough to match the rpm from when the unit was so heavilly loaded.

In general, if your gov makes up for load, and is fairly fast at correcting for throttle changes, and doesn't surge, it is working ok.

Soundguy