2.7EB vs 3.5EB?

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #21  
2011 Max Tow 3.5...plays with 6000 lb travel trailer. Never goes over 3000 RPM unless I want it to. Run in M mode you can tow in OD (5th or 6th) 99% of the time. Can cruise under 2000 RPM towing.

I would think a 2.7 with the 10 speed wouldn't flinch at 6000 lb with 3.73s

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #22  
I would think a 2.7 with the 10 speed wouldn't flinch at 6000 lb with 3.73s

My 2.7 6AT 3.55 easily handles my tandem flatbed, usually around 5500-6000K, and gets 14-16 mpg doing it. :)

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #23  
Well my 2 cents is the fuel economy is likely quite similar between the two in a truck application. However, most say a intercooled turbo basically doubles the performance of whatever the engine displacement is.

So let's do some math:
2.7 x 2 = 5.4 (does that engine size sound a little familiar in the Ford line and was never really anything to brag about).
3.5 x 2 = 7.0 (Now that sounds impressive to me).

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB?
Well my 2 cents is the fuel economy is likely quite similar between the two in a truck application. However, most say a intercooled turbo basically doubles the performance of whatever the engine displacement is.

So let's do some math:
2.7 x 2 = 5.4 (does that engine size sound a little familiar in the Ford line and was never really anything to brag about).
3.5 x 2 = 7.0 (Now that sounds impressive to me).

Lets look at how they are built - the 2.7 is overbuilt with a CGI block and watercooled integrated exhaust manifolds just like the 6.7 PSD. I may learn to live with the short bed SCrew snd get a 2.7EB. It puts my 4.8 to shame, and the 5.3 too. The 3.5 may have higher numbers, but it is not built as stout as the 2.7EB.

I only tow heavy once or twice a year, after reading I know the 2.7EB will handle it. My truck is my daily driver, 25,000+ miles a year. Im well beyond the power crazed teenager years. Best deal on either SCrew 4x4 EB is what I will grab.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #25  
From everything I have read, the 2.7EB is an over performer in every way. However, I've never driven one.

I have driven many 3.5EBs and will likely buy one this weekend. The torque curve on the 3.5EB feels like it is similar in shape to a diesel torque curve. The RPMs are a little higher than Diesel but no where near as high as with naturally aspirated V8's. Plus the engine is quiet and low pitched so never sounds like it's really working the way a v8 does. I would be very surprised if the 2.7EB didn't share all of these characteristics.

I don't know who said they think of turbos needing high revs, but every turbo engine I've ever driven has had impressive low and mid range torque.

These EB's are running a little more than 15psi of boost. So the effect is equivalent to more than double displacement.

Whoever said the 5.0L is a close second to the 3.5EB for towing has never towed with a 3.5EB. Big difference in low end torque.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #26  
Lets look at how they are built - the 2.7 is overbuilt with a CGI block and watercooled integrated exhaust manifolds just like the 6.7 PSD. I may learn to live with the short bed SCrew snd get a 2.7EB. It puts my 4.8 to shame, and the 5.3 too. The 3.5 may have higher numbers, but it is not built as stout as the 2.7EB.......

When you say the 2.7 is built tougher than the 3.5: Are you comparing that to a Gen I 3.5 liter ecoboost or a Gen II 3.5 liter ecoboost. Ford totally redesigned the 3.5 ecoboost for 2017 and about the only thing the new motor shares with the past 3.5 ecoboost is the measurements of the bore and stroke. Everything else is all new. (And for what is worth I am not promoting Ford either as I highly doubt I will ever own Ford product as I simply hate Ford Motor Co whole heartedly. That said, I could live with an F150 with the 3.5 eco or 5.0 V8).

As for your lambasting the GM trucks you have: They both have well over 200K on them so they can not be all that bad. (not fanboying these either).

Lots of good choices in the truck market right now regardless of ones flavor of choice....if you can get past the outlandish prices from any brand.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB?
When you say the 2.7 is built tougher than the 3.5: Are you comparing that to a Gen I 3.5 liter ecoboost or a Gen II 3.5 liter ecoboost. Ford totally redesigned the 3.5 ecoboost for 2017 and about the only thing the new motor shares with the past 3.5 ecoboost is the measurements of the bore and stroke. Everything else is all new. (And for what is worth I am not promoting Ford either as I highly doubt I will ever own Ford product as I simply hate Ford Motor Co whole heartedly. That said, I could live with an F150 with the 3.5 eco or 5.0 V8).

As for your lambasting the GM trucks you have: They both have well over 200K on them so they can not be all that bad. (not fanboying these either).

Lots of good choices in the truck market right now regardless of ones flavor of choice....if you can get past the outlandish prices from any brand.

The 3.5 does not use the CGI block, nor the watercooled manifolds - the 2.7 is a much stronger design.

I will not own a GM AFM oil guzzler, which is why my 11 (4.8 does not have it, nor did the 04 5.3) will be my last one. I have friends with afm trucks, all use insane amounts of oil. I also wont own another gm crew cab due to where they are built, cheap quality. My 04 was an Oshawa built truck, much higher quality.

Ford's are USA built.

The last straw for me is GM closing Ontario plants and moving to Mexico.

After test driving a 2015 F150, and my previous test drive of a 2014 Sierra, GM has a ton of catch up to do. Maybe thats why the 2019 Sierra/Silvy 1500 resemble the F150, and will also get an 'ecoboosted' 3.6. Hopefully these are as sucessful as the ecoboosts have been for Ford.

Last edited:
   / 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #28  
The 3.5 does not use the CGI block, nor the watercooled manifolds - the 2.7 is a much stronger design.

I will not own a GM AFM oil guzzler, which is why my 11 (4.8 does not have it, nor did the 04 5.3) will be my last one. I have friends with afm trucks, all use insane amounts of oil. I also wont own another gm crew cab due to where they are built, cheap quality. My 04 was an Oshawa built truck, much higher quality.

The last straw for me is GM closing Ontario plants and moving to Mexico.

After test driving a 2015 F150, and my previous test drive of a 2014 Sierra, GM has a ton of catch up to do. Maybe thats why the 2019 Sierra/Silvy 1500 resemble the F150, and will also get an 'ecoboosted' 3.6. Hopefully these are as sucessful as the ecoboosts have been for Ford.

you keep flogging this idea about GM AFM being oil burners........but that is out right BS , I know many GM truck owners including my self (mine is 2014) and we have no oil usage problems whatsoever. ...........and quality has been excellent too, yes some recalls but that is GM being extra careful and EVERY brand is doing recalls these days to be extra safe. All three (four when you include Toyota) make great trucks , and our choices and brand loyalty tends to blind us to that fact.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB?
you keep flogging this idea about GM AFM being oil burners........but that is out right BS , I know many GM truck owners including my self (mine is 2014) and we have no oil usage problems whatsoever. ...........and quality has been excellent too, yes some recalls but that is GM being extra careful and EVERY brand is doing recalls these days to be extra safe. All three (four when you include Toyota) make great trucks , and our choices and brand loyalty tends to blind us to that fact.

Everyone I know has had it start at 100,000 miles... first the pcv system will plug up, then it starts. Wnd once it starts, its big money to fix. GM has been replacing csm snd lifters on 16's sdue to oil use... afm is garbage.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #30  
I was not under any idea that the exhaust manifolds are water-cooled. I knew the turbos were water-cooled. That is the case with all variable geometry turbos that are being used in both gasoline and diesel applications. It may also be possible that EGR is water cooled like the diesels are. Not sure what benefit it would be to cool exhaust manifolds, as it is advantageous to keep EGT's steady for maximum flow thru the exhaust system. Hotter exhaust gasses flow faster. That equates to maximum efficiency of the turbo spool up.

This why I even use turbo blankets on my turbos and heat wrap the down pipe from the turbo. Less heat loss thru the turbo housing and down pipe which keeps exhaust flowing more efficiently.

For anyone interested, PTP Turbo Blankets is taking pre-orders on F-150 ecoboost turbo blankets. This is the company I have gotten my turbo blankets from for a long time. Quality stuff.

PTP Ford F-15 Ecoboost Turbo Blankets - Pre-Order | PTP Turbo Blankets

Last edited: