3-Point Hitch 2 bottom plow

/ 2 bottom plow #21  
Guess it depends on the bottom, my plows the moldboard is the width of furrow and point is only part the width of the furrow.

The double comment stems from the old rule of thumb to plow only as deep as half the width of the bottom, while one 16" not quite double one 12", here is the theory:

12" = 6" deep 6x12= 72 square inches per bottom

16" = 8" deep 8x16 = 128 square inches per bottom.
It will shock me if in real life situations many moldboard plowing depths are controlled/governed by point width. Your plow must have narrow cut & not full cut points. On moldboard plows I've used full cut points cut total width of furrow floor. Also 128'' isn't twice as much as 72'' either

/ 2 bottom plow #22  
It will shock me if in real life situations many moldboard plowing depths are controlled/governed by point width. Your plow must have narrow cut & not full cut points. On moldboard plows I've used full cut points cut total width of furrow floor. Also 128'' isn't twice as much as 72'' either
I've always assumed that the plow shares are made to cut completely across the furrow floor but it sounds like that isn't necessarily the case?

/ 2 bottom plow #24  
I've always assumed that the plow shares are made to cut completely across the furrow floor but it sounds like that isn't necessarily the case?
I've owned & plowed with a JD F145 4X16 plow & a MF(don't remember the model # 6X14. Each furrow bottom was as wide as plow share. Plow share size is determined by measuring from rear outside of landside to RH end of point when one is located behind the plow bottom.

Last edited:
   / 2 bottom plow #25  
Twice as wide,half as wide,14 inch or 16 inch,i think it fitting that responses to subjective questions include more than respondents know about the subject.

/ 2 bottom plow #26  
Twice as wide,half as wide,14 inch or 16 inch,i think it fitting that responses to subjective questions include more than respondents know about the subject.
I'm trying to understand what you are saying here. Can you elaborate?

/ 2 bottom plow #27  
31.2 Horsepower
No, not in unbroken soil
In broken soil yah, but you need more Ooomph than that in virgin land.
I dropped a 16" two bottom in my unbroken soil last fall. It was a lot of effort for my 47 HP DK4710 to pull it. There were times it stopped my forward motion entirely, necessitating that I lift it.
As others have said, it depends on the soil type and condition as much as anything. Also, correct setup of plow and tractor is vital. I've been plowing with the outfit below for more than 50 years. It's a 1952 Case SC with a model BER 2-14 plow. 2WD, tires not loaded but steel weights on the wheels. Reports of the HP vary with the reporter, but I haven't seen any that claim more than 28.

I've plowed many acres of stubble and sod, which is what I think you mean by "virgin" land. About 30 acres of corn, oat, and sunflower stubble this year so far. I plow at 6-8 inches deep. Deeper or shallower and it doesn't turn over correctly, especially on sod ground. (that is why that depth is reccommended for a 14" bottom) Very dry and very wet soils are both harder to plow than moist. Row crop stubble is usually harder to plow than small grain. Weedy ground is more difficult than weed-free.

Attachments

• IMAG0023.JPG
    IMAG0023.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
   / 2 bottom plow #28  
As others have said, it depends on the soil type and condition as much as anything. Also, correct setup of plow and tractor is vital. I've been plowing with the outfit below for more than 50 years. It's a 1952 Case SC with a model BER 2-14 plow. 2WD, tires not loaded but steel weights on the wheels. Reports of the HP vary with the reporter, but I haven't seen any that claim more than 28.

I've plowed many acres of stubble and sod, which is what I think you mean by "virgin" land. About 30 acres of corn, oat, and sunflower stubble this year so far. I plow at 6-8 inches deep. Deeper or shallower and it doesn't turn over correctly, especially on sod ground. (that is why that depth is reccommended for a 14" bottom) Very dry and very wet soils are both harder to plow than moist. Row crop stubble is usually harder to plow than small grain. Weedy ground is more difficult than weed-free.
Your rig is a refreshing breath of air!

/ 2 bottom plow #29  
I pulled a 3-16 with about 25 HP over many acres of Kansas wheat stubble back in the day. It was not a hydrostat, no GPS, no power steering, no cab and the plow would plug in heavy straw. The soil ranged from sandy loam to nasty gumbo sidehills.

Edit: Also it was not FWA as the tractor had no front wheels, just idlers.

Last edited:
   / 2 bottom plow #30  
I pulled a 3-16 with about 25 HP over many acres of Kansas wheat stubble back in the day. It was not a hydrostat, no GPS, no power steering, no cab and the plow would plug in heavy straw. The soil ranged from sandy loam to nasty gumbo sidehills.
I did same task in Texas in my youth. But back then tractor HP was measuring in Draft horse not riding horse HP of today's smaller utility tractors