2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #11  
My 1602D (3 cyl) is quieter than my ZTR, I don't find it objectionably noisey at all.......the only time I get any diesel knock at all is start up or at low idle, otherwise it sounds like any other internal combustion engine.

But to the first question, I agree - it depends.............:)

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #12  
I like my 2210. I do wear hearing protection when on the seat for along time. The same hp engine in 2 cyl will have a touch more torque the 3cyl will be smoother/quieter. The 2 cyl will have two larger pistons compared to 3 smaller ones. This is the reason for difference in torque. I do not know why manufacturers went away from the 2 cylinder engine. Everyone loves the old johny poppers!

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #13  
It appears to depend strictly on dates of beginning manufacture. I believe all 3 cylinder models were released after 2 cylinder models, meaning all new tractors after a certain date were 3 cylinder.[/QUOTE]

Correct Norm. The 3 cyl tractors also have more features. If it was me I would get a 3 cylinder if I was going to do a lot of high RPM work such as mowing. If I was going to do a lot of heavy pulling (box blade, plow, disc) I would get a 2 cylinder.

Eugene

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine
Thanks guys, 1 more question- which ones have water pumps? all over a certain HP, all 3cyl, or anything like that? Mostly rototilling in med to heavy clay here in N.Y. I'm over by Saratoga Springs. Plenty of rocks for the FEL also. Mike

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #15  
I don't think I would put that much emphasis on a water pump. Any reputable brand, with or without water pump, properly maintained, should run at its rated horsepower indefinitely without overheating.

And my personal opinion on 20 to 30 year old equipment - the simpler it is, the easier it will be to maintain it in good condition.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #16  
buppy69 said:
It appears to depend strictly on dates of beginning manufacture. I believe all 3 cylinder models were released after 2 cylinder models, meaning all new tractors after a certain date were 3 cylinder.

Correct Norm. The 3 cyl tractors also have more features. If it was me I would get a 3 cylinder if I was going to do a lot of high RPM work such as mowing. If I was going to do a lot of heavy pulling (box blade, plow, disc) I would get a 2 cylinder.

Eugene[/QUOTE]

The YM3000 & YM2500 3cyl came out in 1977, The YM140, YM146, and YM147 2cyl came out in 1984 and were built until 1989.

Danny

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #17  
"The YM3000 & YM2500 3cyl came out in 1977, The YM140, YM146, and YM147 2cyl came out in 1984 and were built until 1989.

Danny"

Yup, that's why you do what you do, Danny, and I'm retired:eek: .

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #18  
I'm so ashamed!!!!

Eugene

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #19  
normde2001 said:
"The YM3000 & YM2500 3cyl came out in 1977, The YM140, YM146, and YM147 2cyl came out in 1984 and were built until 1989.

Danny"

Yup, that's why you do what you do, Danny, and I'm retired:eek: .

Me too, supposedly

Danny