2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #21  
vallyfarm said:
Trying to narrow my search down, I was wondering why some models have a 2 cyl engine, and another has a 3 cyl engine. It seems to have nothing to do with horsepower. Ae there any advantages to either engine, better fuel usage, better torque curve, etc. Also, how importaint is transmission choice? I plan on a lot of rototilling, but also some FEL work in the goat barn. Any hints would be great. Mike

Mike,
What size do you have in mind ? There is a 1300D with attachments in Upstate NY on Ebay.
eBay: YANMAR YM1300D 4X4 COMPACT DIESEL TRACTOR + ATTACHMENTS (item 140044517565 end time Oct-26-06 11:50:49 PDT)

Bruce

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine
BruceR, I'm thinking of a 1500 or larger. I need it for working strawberries, and other row crops and need to keep my rows to a 48" max spacing. Will need it to pull a 1 row transplanter too. A good chance I'd put a loader on it at some point for cleaning the goat barn and picking rocks,so the smaller the better, but I am 6'2" and around 220 lbs. so I think any smaller I wouldn't fit, nor would it be safe with the transplanter on it. Possibly could move up to around a 2210 size. Any hints or sugestions on this would be great. Also, I would rather spend more $ and go to a good dealer, than get someones crap heap. Thanks, Mike

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #23  
vallyfarm said:
but I am 6'2" and around 220 lbs.

I'm a little taller but a lttle lighter. You may want to try something larger than 1500, YM2000 is 48" if you don't reverse the rear wheels. With the YM2000, I'm not cramped for operating room but I find the best way to dismount is to swing my right leg over the steering wheel and exit left.

A good dealer is great to have, there are several on here. I wish I had one within a 3 hour drive. Just remember though, if you are not close enough to haul it back for service, your warranty is essentialy parts support.

Bruce

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #24  
vallyfarm said:
BruceR, I'm thinking of a 1500 or larger. I need it for working strawberries, and other row crops and need to keep my rows to a 48" max spacing. Will need it to pull a 1 row transplanter too. A good chance I'd put a loader on it at some point for cleaning the goat barn and picking rocks,so the smaller the better, but I am 6'2" and around 220 lbs. so I think any smaller I wouldn't fit, nor would it be safe with the transplanter on it. Possibly could move up to around a 2210 size. Any hints or sugestions on this would be great. Also, I would rather spend more $ and go to a good dealer, than get someones crap heap. Thanks, Mike

Mike, you may want to look at a F or FX model, they will be easier to get on and off of. The price will be more for the F or FX.

Danny

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #25  
I understand what ur saying but that 1300d and all the attachments does not look like cr** to me. It would be too small for me as my primary tractor but I would like to have it as a secondary unit... I am bigger then u and I have plenty of room on my 2210. It will tire out climbing on and off all day long though....

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #26  
I have a female friend who is 5'9" and over 200lbs. She doesn't fit on my 1510D. The steering wheel was pressed into her stomach. Being over 6' tall though gives you a different build. If you can't try them out in person, I would make sure you choose a good dealer who can give an appropriate recommendation based on your height and weight.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #27  
roxynoodle said:
I have a female friend who is 5'9" and over 200lbs. She doesn't fit on my 1510D. The steering wheel was pressed into her stomach. Being over 6' tall though gives you a different build. If you can't try them out in person, I would make sure you choose a good dealer who can give an appropriate recommendation based on your height and weight.

Well said Audrey. As you know I am nowhere near petite myself, and one of the questions we always ask of shoppers who won't be on the lot is their height/weight. We explain the reason for asking first, but we do broach it. Not doing so would be unconscionable in my opinion...some units just physically won't fit some operators. I used a 1510 last spring, but it was not comfortable. A 1500 waits on someone else to get moved.....I don't even try to get on one any more.:eek:

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #28  
I might also add that my seat is all the way back. And to give you some perspective I am 5'4" and 134lbs and find it's a perfect fit for me. Might be a selling point though, Wayne, for any female buyers who come your way! 1510s are perfect tractors for small to medium sized women, lol!

I drove that Farmall H tonight that I'm thinking of buying for my spreader. Goodness, was that interesting! It is quite tall and that spring seat would take some getting used to. I also haven't figured out how to put it in first gear without bonking myself in the kneecap. It runs real good though and is super cheap ($500) so I need to think about it.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #29  
Mike, I'm 6'3" and 240lbs. I fit fine in the seat of my F15D, and getting on/off is easy. As Danny suggested, if you want to stay with a smaller tractor, give the F/FX models a look.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #30  
roxynoodle said:
I drove that Farmall H tonight that I'm thinking of buying ... super cheap ($500) so I need to think about it.
Just do it. For that price, and from a neighbor who likely wouldn't sell you hidden damage, there's nothing to lose.