2 Stroke Engine Oil/Gas Mix?

/ 2 Stroke Engine Oil/Gas Mix? #31  
Paddock,

I believe some of the new two strokes have a small (must be very small) catalist convert (or somthing similar) just like automobiles have. This might be why it smokes initailly and then doesn't as it gets to operating temp. I'm sure a good small engine repair person could explain exactly why.

Derek

/ 2 Stroke Engine Oil/Gas Mix? #32  
Bill, two stroke engines don't have camshafts so I think you meant to post "crankshaft bearings", in your comments about ECHO two cycle trimmers.

I just bought a new Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer and it's fantastic! No more mixing oil and gas, sits there and idles like a lawnmower and so far after using it for maybe a total of 5 hours, it doesn't burn a drop of oil! It only holds about 6 ounces of oil and through an ingenious use of baffles and oil galleys, it can be tilted or run upside down just like it's 2 cycle cousins. It burns about a third of the gas that a 2 cycle uses too. It is about half of the cost of a Honda trimmer, which is undoubtedly a great unit too.
For my other two cycle powered tools I use STIHL oil or ECHO oil and mix it according to the bottle size, between 2 or 2.5 gallons. I too have run out of normal unleaded and filled my lawnmower and garden tractor with two cycle mix and it still works great in a pinch! Sam

"I love the smell of diesel in the morning."