200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ??

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #1  

pdsrms

Tractor
Kubota L39, B21
If I am careful to keep it clean, can I recycle my hydraulic fluid during the change of filters? ~10 gallons. Kubota L39.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #2  
When its clear looking, I just filter it and mix it about 10 to 1 with the diesel fuel.
larry

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #3  
pdsrms said:
can I recycle my hydraulic fluid during the change of filters?

You can do whatever you want...but it's recommended that you change the fluid, not reuse it. You get what you pay for.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #4  
I would only extend drain intervals if you are doing a UOA (used oil analysis) on it. If your not I would highly recomend NOT reusing it. The particles that kill engines, pumps, cylinders .... are way to small for you to see with the naked eye.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #5  
Does your the manual only says to change the filters at 200hrs...if so then just do that.
You can jack up the ft. of the tractor so most of the fluid will rest in the rear and you won't loose it all and be quick on the R/H filter change.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #6  
SPYDERLK said:
When its clear looking, I just filter it and mix it about 10 to 1 with the diesel fuel.
larry
This works well, and is cleaner than engine oil or cooking oil… Recoup around $3.00 a gallon as fuel. KennyV.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #7  
Somehow.. putting wast oil into my engine just doesn't seem like a great thing for the fuel system.

If direct recycling of used fluid was such a great idea.. people would be drinking urine.. it's sterile and mostly water after all ... right?

Only clean fuel and clean oil goes into my tractor sumps... why gamble with anything else unless you have the equipment to re-refine the oil..

Much of the concept of changing oil is to get rid of contaminants in the oil ( the rest being replacement of the base oil and add apckages after them oxidizing and being depleted or broke down.. etc.. )

Soundguy

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #8  
Very good point Soundguy. I have alway's recomended AGAINST adding any type of engine or hydraulic oil be it new or used into a fuel system. Even new unused oil is anywhere from 10-25%+ additive package, many of which are non flamable additives. On top of that if you use used oil your also dumping all the contamination into your fuel system. If you want to add something to your fuel use a fuel additive that is formulated for it.

If you want to burn your waste oil do what I did, buy a wast oil burner to heat your shop.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #9  
Dump the stuff on your burn pile, if disposing of brush and trees. Makes green wood burn a bit better, no residue, saves a trip to recycling center.

/ 200 hrs service, Waste hydraulic fluid ?? #10  
I have a firend who told me the used Hydraulic make a great chain saw chain lubricant. It makes sense so I'm going to try that as I go through a fair amount of chain oil.