2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
My 2001 model year PT425 was rated at 800# lift capacity.

Doing an addition to my garage, and I had 60# bags of cement, soooo....

14 x 60 = 840#

B3416CFC-AD93-4755-B603-5EA33B0E6C0F.jpeg

15 X 60 = 900#

47F48333-99C9-435F-BC3F-A3EDD8151E2C.jpeg

Add in the weight of the bucket and then figure in that with the 14 bags @ 840#, when I turned the unit, I'd tip on my nose. Straighten back, and I'd set the rear back down.

Great experiment, and 800# is pretty accurate.

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #2  
Very interesting, MOSS. Thanks.

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #3  
I see the flaw in your reasoning, first you should have curled the bucket closed then loaded it. without a doubt it will carry a 1000 lbs did many times. Any good operator carries the weight low ....... jim

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #4  
Yeah, low, slow, straight w forks, I can get a 1k bulk bag of gravel on a pallet off the truck, just. But I have more junk in the trunk so to speak with the 3pt hanging off back and ballasted (ultraseal) tires.

I wouldn't want to do that often. And not another pound.

I find the hydraulic relief (and pt pucker) keep me from breaking the machine and me.

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #5  
Bucket weight capacity is rated with it closed, not open and up high...... and carrying it low is a no brainer. Modified stone weighs 3000 lb. to the yard and I sure carried heaping buckets of it and that is over a 1/3 yd. ..... jim

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity
You can guesstimate as much as you like. This was just my curiosity being satisfied with known weight.

Also, how am I going to carry a load low when I have to grab it off the trailer, hmm? :rolleyes:

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #7  
The way you did was not the way it is rated, so it is not even a close guess. You close the bucket and put it on the ground and put the bags on and it will pick it up. As far as my guess it was no guess a 10 cubic ft. bucket heaped ia more than a 1/3 yd. of 2A modified stone and it is written in stone it weighs 3000lb. to the yard and that bucket is 1 cubic ft. over a 1/3 yd...... How are you going to carry it low??? start it up and back up sliding it to the rear till half the bucket is over the end of the trailer and close it and continue to lower and close it and it will carry it...... the way you have it pictured it lost all it's half its lift capacity BTW this isn't my first rodeo after 40+ years of running equipment I would have closed the bucket and raised it up and loaded it against the trailer then lowered it and hauled it away no muss no fuss...jim

You can guesstimate as much as you like. This was just my curiosity being satisfied with known weight.

Also, how am I going to carry a load low when I have to grab it off the trailer, hmm? :rolleyes:

The way you did was not the way it is rated, so it is not even a close guess. You close the bucket and put it on the ground and put the bags on and it will pick it up. As far as my guess it was no guess a 10 cubic ft. bucket heaped ia more than a 1/3 yd. of 2A modified stone and it is written in stone it weighs 3000lb. to the yard and that bucket is 1 cubic ft. over a 1/3 yd...... How are you going to carry it low??? start it up and back up sliding it to the rear till half the bucket is over the end of the trailer and close it and continue to lower and close it and it will carry it...... the way you have it pictured it lost all it's half its lift capacity BTW this isn't my first rodeo after 40+ years of running equipment I would have closed the bucket and raised it up and loaded it against the trailer then lowered it and hauled it away no muss no fuss...jim

Well, I did back up with the 840 on it, me on the seat, curled the bucket, lowered it to the ground, raised it 2" and it tipped on its nose back and forth like a teeter totter as soon as I went it reverse, as soon as I turned, and every time I stopped.

Talking to the factory, it's rated for 800# at the quick attach. So anything further out from the quick attach, like the bucket and anything in it, is considered added to the 800# total. That it lifted the bucket and the 840# I added into it, and considering the bucket weighs less than 100#, as I can pick it up by hand myself, that's a tad over 900# total. I'm quite happy with that, considering it's rated at 800#.

Also, I have been moving #11 limestone around for my garage addition. It weighs 2500# per ton. That's 833# per 1/3 yard, and I can't take a full heaping 1/3 yard bucket of it or it'll tip on it's nose. So again, that's about the exact same weight as the concrete I was testing with in known quantity.

#11 LIMESTONE – 3/16″-1/2″ | Kuert

/ 2001 PT425 - 19 years later I measure the lift capacity #10  
2500 pounds per ton.. wait a minute.