2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
My 2001 PT425 developed an oil leak. About 1/2 a quart every 20 minutes. Can't seem to locate it, other than a pool of oil under the engine. So time to pull the engine, put it on a stand, clean it up, and run it to locate the leak.

Trying to avoid disconnecting hydraulic hoses.

Pulled the gas tank and fuel pump all on the bracket. Just 4 bolts and a hose clamp.
IMG_5271.jpeg

Pulled the muffler. 4 nuts. Didn't break the exhaust studs this time. 🙃
IMG_5288.jpeg

Pulled the battery.
IMG_5293.jpeg

Unmounted the hydroback assembly.
Disconnected the wiring harness and positive battery cable from the starter.

Disconnected the tram pump from the mount on the front.
IMG_5315.jpeg

Disconnected the PTO pumps from the engine on the rear.
IMG_5313.jpeg

Removed the 4 bolts that hold the engine mount to the bottom of the tub.
IMG_5298.jpeg

Started lifting the engine and found one (1) hydraulic hose that goes through the engine mount. Grr.
IMG_5320.jpeg

Pulled the right rear tire, cleaned the fitting, bagged it and pulled the hose.
IMG_5322.jpeg

Pulled the engine.
IMG_5323.jpeg IMG_5324.jpeg

Took about an hour and a half. Overall, not too bad.
I'm going to get a cap/plug kit and pull the hoses off the pumps, reassemble everything after locating and repairing the oil leak, and put it all back in as one unit. That will be much easier.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #3  
I was curious to see more of the detail of how these are put together. Lots of information in those pictures.

I had to clean a similar mess off my Terramite recently. Used a plastic paint scaper to scoop off the mix of caked, oily dirt without scratching the paint, and then wiped it down with paper towels that I burned.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #4  
   / 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #5  
Looking at your oil cooler hoses, you have to wonder if replacing ALL the original hydraulic hoses in the tub would be advisable? Wonder what the cost would be? Too bad PT doesn't offer a complete package, but maybe the price would scare everyone away.

If you find a good package for the hose plug fittings, please post the info.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine
I know, it looks so clean on the top!

What is that black cylinder shaped object at the end to the tram control cable?
That's the hydroback. My tram pedal is cable controlled. I do not know what is inside of that cylinder. All I do know is that the cable pulls or pushes it, and the hydroback then operates the direction lever on the tram pump. The bracket that it mounts to has slotted holes, so I'm guessing that's how you adjust it for neutral with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Maybe there's some spring dampening in that cylinder to lessen shock from treadle movement?

Looking at your oil cooler hoses, you have to wonder if replacing ALL the original hydraulic hoses in the tub would be advisable? Wonder what the cost would be? Too bad PT doesn't offer a complete package, but maybe the price would scare everyone away.

If you find a good package for the hose plug fittings, please post the info.
Yep. I've been keeping an eye on those cables for a few years. If I'm in this deep, I might as well look into replacing them.

Once it's all cleaned up, I'll do a thorough inspection of everything and replace what needs to be replaced. Then it'll be good for another 20. 🙃

As far as the plug and cap set....

'someone' on this forum purchased one, and I'm kinda hoping they'll chime in with details. ;)

If not, I'll search TBN for it.

/ 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #9  
I have a very similar design Vanguard 35 hp engine in a Vermeer stump cutter and am very interested to hear where the engine oil leak was once you have located it?

The oil filter/oil cooler setup would be the first place I would take a look at, followed by oil pan & crank seals.

Vanguard 35hp.png

Last edited:
   / 2001 PT425 Kohler CH25 Oil Leak - Pull The Engine #10  
Lot of plumbing going on in there.

I don't know what fittings you have there. The Terramite has a bunch of 1/4 NPT stuff that can be capped with plumbing fittings so long as you don't let any galvanzing flake off into the system. Some other members found a set of standard hydraulic caps/plugs on Amazon as I recall.

It's begging for a diesel repower, too.