2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem
does yours have a message center?

soundguy

Yes, but I have never seen it say anything related to oil level or pressure. Maybe that is a good thing????

It has the usual odometer and trip

But it also has 2 seperate "settings" for personal and business that can be reset seperatley. It will give mileage, fuel consumption, avg speed, fuel economy etc.

Under the main setting, it gives the odometer, hours, trip, instant economy, and the oil life left in a %.
I think thats all. Is this the mesage center you are refering too?????

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #42  
lil square one. if it's the same as mine, if your oil level is low, it will tell you.. I believe it also says to check gauge if one is low.. like fuel.. which.. it must be reading from the sender, as you are not seeing a message for the -0- oil pressure i take it. might be a good sign.

soundguy

Now that you mention it, it does say "check guages" as one of its displays.

I rembemer this from last winter plowing snow. I had a fairly bad ground connection where the solenoid for the plow was, which is where the heavy motor ground cable was hooked. Long story short, in small tight lots, where I was working the plow very frequently (raining, lower, and angling), the charge guage would drop way down, and It would chime (kinda loke a door chime) and say "check guages".

I have since done a better stand alone ground directly off the battery to the motor ground. It took care that problem. But not once has it done that with this oil pressure situation. Which may be a very good sign.

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #44  
yep.. I'd guess too.. since the message center is not seeing a -0- gauge.. but is seeing the oil pressure the gauge should be seeing.

my guess anyway.

soundguy

Just another update.

Me and the ol man cut 4-5 cord of wood yesterday. It was about 90 degrees out and never once had a problem with the guage:confused2:

We've been behind this year so we had to get out. We had our saws stolen back in january, and by the time we got them replaced, dad had found out he had an aortic aneurysm. He's been off work since april with the appts and surgery and all. He was cleared by the doctor to do whatever he wanted about two weeks ago, and has to go back to work the end of this month. We have been itching to get out and cut.

But the truck seems to be doing fine. Maybe it is something with the wiring under the hood and fiddling with the sending unit fixed it for now. Who knows?? But it was a good day to be out. I was ready to quit after the first 3 loads (1 trip: 2 trucks and a trailer) but he insisted we go for a second round.

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #46  
I had the same thing happen with my Envoy (it also has the 5.3L). The problem was the oil preasure guage motor in the IP cluster; changed it and no more problems. I also had to replace the speedometer motor in the cluster as well...had me going 95 when parked. I think they had a pretty good run of bad cluster motors from 03 to 04...I only have 3 new guage cluster motors left and I am sure that I will use them all!!! Don't be suprised if other guages start failing.

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #47  
GM replaced the cluster in my 04 GMC 2 years ago under warranty that I was out of..I'll take it though. I really don't remember why...I think it was the speedo. Haven't had a problem since.

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #48  
This is a known GM issue, bad stepper motors in the guage cluster. There are numerous companies (Google it) that will repair yours for around a 100 or so.

There was a class action lawsuit that finally got GM to fix many, of course mine had too many miles to be fixed under the class.

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #49  
IMHO.. they should have to send an engineer / tech out to every single person with one that failed. IE.. drive TO you and fix at your convienience.. then maybee they wouldn't try to find the junkiest parts... kinda like tractor manufacturers that run un shielded wires under the belly of tractors knowing they will be running in brush... I know they probably save a penny on every 10 units by doing it backwards like that. but at some point you need to throw a pillow case over the bean counters head.. rough him up a little and then make it where the engineers don't have to de-engineer everything so that it is a tenth of a cent cheaper, and 80% less reliable... :)

soundguy

/ 2003 chevy 1500 5.3L Oil Pressure Problem #50  
IMHO.. they should have to send an engineer / tech out to every single person with one that failed. IE.. drive TO you and fix at your convienience.. then maybee they wouldn't try to find the junkiest parts... kinda like tractor manufacturers that run un shielded wires under the belly of tractors knowing they will be running in brush... I know they probably save a penny on every 10 units by doing it backwards like that. but at some point you need to throw a pillow case over the bean counters head.. rough him up a little and then make it where the engineers don't have to de-engineer everything so that it is a tenth of a cent cheaper, and 80% less reliable... :)

soundguy

It is usually not the engineer that determines the finial parts but the bean counters and acquisitions departments who sign off on the "suitable sub".
This happens everywhere from cars to shovels ...trust me I know all about this and it gripes my A55 every time!