2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #11  
Raw Dodge, believe me, I could be wrong here but I think in '04 or '05 they started putting the ICP on the passenger side head or valve cover area. In '03 (first year for 6.0) that sorry little item was positioned where you're describing and is a "10 hour" job at the garage to replace! I think when they repositioned it, it changed to a "1 hour" job. I've got a $975 chunk out of my behind to prove it! Ouch!:mad::eek: You are correct when they go out they can leak oil (though not in my case) but usually, from what I've read, they leak a lot due to being under pressure.

Your probably right,i had a friend with an 03,what a nightmare that truck was....he couldnt run it a full 3000 miles between oil changes the first yr,without needing to go in for repairs...

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #12  
I brought my 07 in for a small leak.Turned out they had to completely remove engine to replace the bedplate seals.While they had it out they replaced all the block seals and gaskets.No more leaks.If your dealership has a properly trained techs this fix is a piece of cake.
Best of luck,
Scotty

That's actually what was wrong with my '06 when I bought it. It had been to several dealerships where they had no diesel mechanic and the "techs" literally just replaced parts on it. Heck, it had a new turbo (amazingly didn't fix the oil leak LOL), new injectors, new rear main seal etc. etc. etc. One guy who works at the largest Ford dealership in my area is really into diesel drags and diesel pulls knows them inside and out. I showed him the OASIS report and he laughed and laughed. It turned out that the long 'rap sheet' made it look like it was a problem truck when, in fact, it wasn't.

I'm extremely happy with my truck after they replaced the bedplate seal (or whatever that seal is called). None of the other dealerships wanted to tackle that seal because they didn't have a tech who knew what they were doing. The tech who fixed it even noted that it was extremely odd that nobody had done a dye test to look for the oil leak. Apparently that would have shown right away where it was. Anyway, he suggested to me that I buy ARP head studs and he'd literally go completely through the engine for me while he was getting to that leak and would install the ARP headstuds as part of the deal. Since I'm not mentioning the dealership, I'll tell the funny part. When the diesel tech was at lunch, the service writer walked me back to the truck and told me to lift this front cover and pull this dirty looking valve out and take it with me and not say anything. Um, whatever. Those here "in the know" know what is missing from my truck. :D

It's been over a year now and it doesn't leak a drop, will pretty well run with a V8 Mustang and when programmed in the towing mode will pull like an animal. After having a 7.3 PSD, it was a 1999, I'd never consider another 7.3 over this 6.0. I have absolutely no idea of all the running changes Ford made between '03 and '06, but the updated turbo, ARP headstuds and that missing part sure have made my truck a joy to drive. If your truck does have a leak at that bedplate (I think that is what it's called), you ought to see what the dealership would charge you to install ARP head studs when they do the repair. I'm told that "free" isn't even close to the norm. However, the tech who did the work pretty well told me that he'd be shocked if I broke the engine. I do have the Ford DieselCare 7/200k engine warranty on it that this dealership said they'd gladly honor. That roughly gives me another 4 years and/or 115k miles of engine warranty. After they installed the ARP head studs for no charge, I was pretty easy to sell the 7/200 DieselCare to for $1250. Good luck!

I know it's already been on here, but I gotta show the time sheet and video my daughter took of my 1/4 mile run. I didn't want to power-brake it at all to start so I'm sure it cost me some time and I even kept the tools in my toolbox, causing me to go through tech weighing 8170 pounds. Here's the run YouTube - F350 4X4 crew cab dually 6.0 PSD 8170 pounds running 1/4 mile and here's the time sheet showing a 14.24 quarter with that slow start. I was surprised to break 100 mph in the quarter with that run, but you can hear all 4 rears breaking loose a bit pulling pretty hard.

Attachments

• F350 timesheet.jpg
    F350 timesheet.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 540
   / 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
That is one quick rig, the 6.0 is quite peppy, especially compared to my buddies 5.9 cummins. I am calling my local dealer today to set an appt. and verify they have someone who specializes in these trucks, not some 18 year old kid who changes oil in them and swears he knows them.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #14  
Yeah Dargo, thats honking right along. Give me about half a day with your truck and I'll get you in the 13's. Weight is your problem. You got to get radical and lighten the thing up.:D As I recall, every 100 pounds is worth 10hp. I suppose your going to say something like, "its a work truck" and not let me do my magic.

You are correct about the trap speed, that is the true indicator of your horse power. You can change rear gears, get better or worse traction, and believe it or not, it doesn't change your trap speed very much, just your e.t. Without working the numbers, with that kind of weight and trap speed, I'd guess you are making over 500hp, maybe closer to 600.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #15  
Yeah Dargo, thats honking right along. Give me about half a day with your truck and I'll get you in the 13's. Weight is your problem. You got to get radical and lighten the thing up.:D As I recall, every 100 pounds is worth 10hp. I suppose your going to say something like, "its a work truck" and not let me do my magic.

You are correct about the trap speed, that is the true indicator of your horse power. You can change rear gears, get better or worse traction, and believe it or not, it doesn't change your trap speed very much, just your e.t. Without working the numbers, with that kind of weight and trap speed, I'd guess you are making over 500hp, maybe closer to 600.

LOL, I thought you were going to tell me that I was "asleep at the tree". :D When I clearly didn't spool up the turbo or anything I just had to guess at the tree. Believe it or not, after staging, when the first light came on I matted it! LOL :) There's that much lag to getting all that weight off the line that I not only didn't red light, but was pretty slow off the tree.

The car I towed up with the truck is a '62 Biscayne with a slightly modified 502ci big block in it. I cut dang near a perfect tree with it but blew them out of the water about 3 different times and then just shut the run down before I lost it. Since it's mostly a show car, I didn't want to take any chance at wrecking it. :eek: I don't care what they say about "street slicks" (D3 compound with tread), they without tubbing my car they just won't hook up. I loved it later when I was going through tech with the truck (wasn't going to chance wrecking my car again) and the tech guy stuck his head in my truck window, looked around, then said "Son, you do realize that you're in your tow truck and not your race car, don't you?" :D Loved his sense of humor!

Yes Deerefan, get your truck to a tech who is up on the 6.0 engines and he should be able to make it out to be a pretty nice engine for you. I use an SCT tuner system through the OBDII port and when programmed for 'towing', it never slows down off cruise control speed even on the longest 7 percent interstate grades even when hauling more than I really should. I just didn't want to be that guy in the right lane with his hazard lights on running 30 mph when clearing Mount Eagle just outside of Chattanooga. Been there, done that, gave the T shirt back.

You're right dodge man, it's my work truck. It's a freaking muddy mess right now after I got stuck hauling my Takeuchi TL150 on a muddy road and had to unload the CTL to pull myself out. I did make one concession when I ran it; I took the 100 gallon fuel tank out of the bed. With a full tank of fuel in it and the weight of the tank, I figured that I shed 900 pounds or so anyway. I probably did have a good 300 to 350 pounds in my toolbox still though. Oh well, my '96 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins was actually faster, but I'd spent quite a bit more on it with twins, studs, O rings, injectors, 4000 governor springs and Stoopid pump and had one of Clint Canon's AST transmissions in the Dodge. I'm not sure whether I'm big on Clint's transmissions or not. I broke 2 of them, but he did make good on them. It was a PIA, but it didn't cost me any. From your area, you've probably heard of Scheid Diesel. They did part of the work, I did part and Kolb Diesel did the rest. The tranny in the F350 is bone stock; thus the easy 'launch'.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #16  
That is one quick rig, the 6.0 is quite peppy, especially compared to my buddies 5.9 cummins. I am calling my local dealer today to set an appt. and verify they have someone who specializes in these trucks, not some 18 year old kid who changes oil in them and swears he knows them.

Deerefan, I hope you have better luck at the "STEALerships" than I did! I found out that our local one is just a parts replacer. I drove mine in to them to get them to affirm my ICP issue and check out my cold start problem.
They call me back later and say I need 8 new injectors and a high pressure pump....OH! and also needed to have the ICP replaced! A truck with only 78,000 miles of average use. I went and after a small "rant" paid what I owed them for the "attempt to stiff me" and took it to the garage that I usaully take my trucks to and got the ICP replaced. I only took it to the dealership to see if any service bulletins might apply to it. BTW, the ICP change actually took care of some of my cold start issues. Hope I didn't take your thread on too much of a tangent!:eek:

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #17  
THE single biggest "knock" against the 6.0L is that the techs were not trained on it until well after they hit the streets in 2003. The first 6 to 12 months, they were guessing :(

Lots of them got fed-up and quit the dealers or refused to work on diesels because they lost their minds trying to muddle thru w/o really understanding all the changes etc. The hop-up parts made it even worse.

The injectors are under the VC, so they can't be the cause and the GPs are on the outboard side of the heads, so they can't be either.

I'd guess it's something near the oil cooler module, the oil feed for the turbo, filter assembly or something like that. Could even be the oil sensor itself.

The ICP sensor was moved to the RH front valve cover in 2004 and the whole ICP system was redesigned. Get this, not to "fix" anything, but to reduce noise :laughing: Boy did that cause some confusion!

Last edited by a moderator:
   / 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #18  
The ICP sensor was moved to the RH front valve cover in 2004 and the whole ICP system was redesigned. Get this, not to "fix" anything, but to reduce noise :laughing: Boy did that cause some confusion!

I "hear" that! John, you'd be one to know I'm sure! I was real heated finding out mine was at the "original-noisy" location which is back in the rear! Which, by the way, is where the garage took a hunk out of me when I went to pick it up but not near as much of a hunk as the stealership wanted!

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #19  
Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes.Ford has tested the new engine extensively, hundreds of thousands of miles through all weather conditions.In real world applications.They have created criteria for training of the techs and applied it to classes before the release.The demise of the Ford/Navastar partnership was brought on by these issues from the 6.0 bieng released too soon,And the dealerships and techs not knowing anything about them,causing all these drastic warranty expenses.I have followed Detroit Diesel and the release of the DD15/DD16 series of heavy duty engines.Detroit had tested these engines over 25 million miles.Real mile testing in all weather conditions.From -60 below to 120 above.In addition all the techs and mechanics were trained before the release ensuring there would be no bumps in the road.With all this expensive testing the end has justified the means.I think Ford has the same philosophy.Hopefully the new powerstroke will be the best on the market for many years to come.Go Ford....
Scotty

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
the oil filter sets up there.. it's a plastic housing with a paper cartridge that screws in.. has an oring.. etc. mine has leaked before when i first got my 04 f250 using oem filters.. using a napa oil filter fixed the problem..

soundguy

After doing some investigating, this is where it is coming from. I saw a little bubble form every few seconds and after I wiped it down and ran it a while, I got a fresh oil film on my finger. How did the filter change help? I am thinking of replacing the cap, o-ring and filter. If the NAPA filter worked for you, I would like to give it a shot.