2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #42  
The only time its a problem, is if you are running it hard, with a lot of boost, then you shut it down. Turbos spool down pretty quick and its not normally a problem shutting it down right away. During most normal driving, pulling in your driveway, a gas station etc, is enough time to let the turbo spool down. It would be a problem if you driving up a long hill, pulling a heavy load, then pulled over on the shoulder and stopped it right away.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #43  
I know my tractor has a dash sticker warning u to let it cool down at least 1 m before shutting down after a full load operation..

can't imagine it's anything other than good practise to do so on all tc'd engines.

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #44  
I know my tractor has a dash sticker warning u to let it cool down at least 1 m before shutting down after a full load operation..

can't imagine it's anything other than good practise to do so on all tc'd engines.

soundguy

Yes, it is not only a good practice, but recommended. Do I do it? Well....sometimes. :)

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #45  
that's the one thing I'm good at :) I always wait the prescribed time before operating at over half throttle, and the cool down after full load.

I figure those engines are darn pricey to replace. I had a car with a turbocharger back in the late 80's... no one bothered to tell me you couldn't race down to the movie theater tached out, slide into the parking slot and shut her down and run in and catch a flik with your best buds... 1 turbo charger later and a big repair bill.. I learned what oil cooled bearings and coking meant.

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #46  
that's the one thing I'm good at :) I always wait the prescribed time before operating at over half throttle, and the cool down after full load.

I figure those engines are darn pricey to replace. I had a car with a turbocharger back in the late 80's... no one bothered to tell me you couldn't race down to the movie theater tached out, slide into the parking slot and shut her down and run in and catch a flik with your best buds... 1 turbo charger later and a big repair bill.. I learned what oil cooled bearings and coking meant.

soundguy

Not questioning you in any fashion. Just being honest. :eek:

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
I got the truck back and am a little skeptical. They did not replace the t/c, they replaced the orings in the t/c oil return/drain line after doing a dye test and determining that is where it was coming from. I drove it to work and still have a very small amount of oil on the blue hose coming from the intercooler to the turbo on top of the motor. Now, the engine still has some oil on top of it from the previous leak, so I will clean it off today and see if it is just residual. I noticed the oil level in the truck does not seem to drop, so the leak they repaired was very minor. It is annoying, like a gnat in your ear. In other words, I do not think it is hurting anything but the fact I know its doing it really aggravates me!!

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #48  
keep us posted.

only bad thing about little leaks is you never know when they will become bigger leaks.

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #49  
I got the truck back and am a little skeptical. They did not replace the t/c, they replaced the orings in the t/c oil return/drain line after doing a dye test and determining that is where it was coming from. I drove it to work and still have a very small amount of oil on the blue hose coming from the intercooler to the turbo on top of the motor. Now, the engine still has some oil on top of it from the previous leak, so I will clean it off today and see if it is just residual. I noticed the oil level in the truck does not seem to drop, so the leak they repaired was very minor. It is annoying, like a gnat in your ear. In other words, I do not think it is hurting anything but the fact I know its doing it really aggravates me!!

I would make them fix it right. Your warranty is about to end so you do not want to get stuck with the bill. Keep on them till they will do anything to shut you up.:D

Chris