2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #1  

Sweptwing

Tractor
Deere 2210&F935. Ferris IS2500Z
hey everyone. My rtv 900 starts hard and even sometimes starts and dies when starting cold when the tank is less than 1/2 full. It sounds like it is starving for fuel. Is there a check valve I need to be looking at that is perhaps allowing fuel to drain from the high pressure pump when it sits like this? Thank you for any info you may have.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #2  
I wonder if the fuel cap is causing a venting problem. Take it off and try to start it with half a tank.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel
Might have come up with something. This morning it will not start at all. There is still about 1/4 tank of fuel. There is fuel in the filter. When I take the hose off of the fuel pump and crank it over nothing comes out. Could it be that the high pressure pump has enough suction to draw fuel when there is 1/2 tank of fuel yet when it gets low it no longer does? This makes sense to me. So thinking the lift pump is out. Now how hard to replace and expensive are those things?

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #4  
Maybe the fuel pump is weak and the weight of a full tank is pushing down enough so that it runs, fill it and see what happens.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #5  
The injector pump doesn't suck fuel, the lift pump feeds the injector pump.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #6  
the cap could be causing vacuum, did you take it off and try it?

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #7  
I can’t remember what the hose looks like inside. If there a screen and hose in the tank, if so it could be alittle trash in it or you might have an algae problem. We never had problems with algae in diesel until the years we had lots of rain. You can unhook the line at the tank and see how quick it comes out and that should tell you if you do. There is a diesel treatment for it but you have to change the filter several times is the algae was bad. The filters won’t look dirty but the line and filter would be stopped up.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #8  
Sure sounds like a bad lift pump. Most current Kubotas use a small 12v electro magnetic pump. If your machine has one, you should hear it clicking away with the ignition in the run position.
The Kubota pump is expensive (really expensive). There are plenty of quality aftermarket pumps available at a more reasonable price. Mr. Gasket makes a nice 12v pump for diesel and can be found for 30-45 bucks.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel
This one has an engine driven pump. It was putting out nothing but when you have enough fuel in the tank it would allow enough of it to the high pressure pump to continue to draw fuel. I made a cover to blank off the fuel pump mount on the motor much like you do on an automotive engine. I bought a $10 12v electric pump and think that will do the trick. I like electric pumps better anyway since I can actually hear if they are working. Will let you know the results but I'm confident this is the issue. As far as the fuel cap recommendation I would have agreed that could have been a possible problem except usually those issued rear their ugly head only after fuel has started being drawn from the tank not after sitting overnight. thanks all of you for the insight. Will post the results tomorrow when I have time to completely finish the project.

/ 2006 RTV 900 starts hard when less that 1/2 tank of fuel #10  
This one has an engine driven pump. It was putting out nothing but when you have enough fuel in the tank it would allow enough of it to the high pressure pump to continue to draw fuel. I made a cover to blank off the fuel pump mount on the motor much like you do on an automotive engine. I bought a $10 12v electric pump and think that will do the trick. I like electric pumps better anyway since I can actually hear if they are working. Will let you know the results but I'm confident this is the issue. As far as the fuel cap recommendation I would have agreed that could have been a possible problem except usually those issued rear their ugly head only after fuel has started being drawn from the tank not after sitting overnight. thanks all of you for the insight. Will post the results tomorrow when I have time to completely finish the project.

Lift pump. I have seen this problem many times. Good Luck Lance