2008 5203 4WD

/ 2008 5203 4WD #11  
Looks pretty nice, and a worthy successor to the 5105 MFWD (may it rest in peace - and keep running for 40+ years on my farm). The front R4's are certainly beefy looking.

/ 2008 5203 4WD
My thinking SHOULD be the same, but I'm susceptible to pretty machines and the JD marketing monster.

I really like the frame size and look of the 03/05 series over the "sexy" 3000/4000 series machines. I'm a little bit "old school" that way.

/ 2008 5203 4WD #13  
Yes, Sir... that's a fine lookin' tractor! Got me a bit itchy, too... I've been wantin' a bigger tractor to run a small baler and maybe a mower-conditioner.

Greyfields has got me thinkin' about the 4000x20's again but they're just a bit shy on heft for the poundin' that a small square baler puts out.

I'd also like to hook up one of those 8-bale Farmhand loaders on the FEL, too. So, I will likely need a tractor that's in the 6-7000 lb range.

The neighbor darned near turned his 4320 on it's head when he tried to use that bale grabber hooked on to the front of his 400X loader.

Too much weight; way, way out in front of the tractor and not enough weight in the tires and ballast box!

Yup, I'm gonna be payin' close attention to those new 5003 models and waitin ' for Chip to buy one so he can work out all the bugs...

AKfish

/ 2008 5203 4WD #14  
Or you could just buy a bug-free 5105 at closeout prices! Not saying it's necessarily better than this newfangled green-framed beast, but practically the same...

/ 2008 5203 4WD
I've already thought of that. My dealer has a 5105 on his lot and quoted me the same price for that 5105 or a new model 5203. Go figure.

/ 2008 5203 4WD #16  
It looks like a nearly exact replacement. I like the bigger fenders and the toolbox. I won't fully understand the transmission change until I see one in person, but if it's basically a 9x3 that's fully synchro, that might be slightly better than the 5105's 8x4 with a syncshuttle but no synchro on the 1-4 gears. All in all very, very minor differences. I do like that my 5105 was at least assembled in the US (parts from ?? though I think engine might be US made).

/ 2008 5203 4WD #17  
When I was in the hunt for a new tractor, I looked real hard at the 5105. The price was right in line with the 4000x10 series and for the Hp/dollar, it was a better buy than the "expresso" tractors.

But, the frame size (hauling, and corral cleaning, etc.) and tranny options sealed the decision for me. If Deere had offered a fully synchro transmission with 3 ranges for the '05 series -- I would probably have one right now!

As things went, the local JD folk's wanted $27K (7% off MSRP) for a 2yr. old 4610 with 460 FEL (zero hours -- sitting on the lot) and they wouldn't budge. I countered for 10% and it was a no sale...

Ever since, I've been lookin' for more tractor to play (er, work) at putting up hay with.

These new '03 series are a step up, IMHO from the '05's. Standard offering includes a 3rd SCV at the rear, Turbo engine, Synchro tranny with 3rd range, and better tire options.

Too bad, Deere isn't offering the 540 or 542 loaders. Especially with the 5603.

Definitely interested.

AKfish

/ 2008 5203 4WD #18  
542 loader is the only loader that will fit on the 5603

/ 2008 5203 4WD #19  
AKfish said:
When I was in the hunt for a new tractor, I looked real hard at the 5105. The price was right in line with the 4000x10 series and for the Hp/dollar, it was a better buy than the "expresso" tractors.

But, the frame size (hauling, and corral cleaning, etc.) and tranny options sealed the decision for me. If Deere had offered a fully synchro transmission with 3 ranges for the '05 series -- I would probably have one right now!

These new '03 series are a step up, IMHO from the '05's. Standard offering includes a 3rd SCV at the rear, Turbo engine, Synchro tranny with 3rd range, and better tire options.

I agree in part and disagree in part. I think you made the right choice for your uses - the 5105 is a fairly big frame and heavy. It is a bit clumsy inside a 1-acre fenced pasture, and really clumsy inside a barn. But no issues at all on a 5-acre hayfield.

In terms of a step up - I see the new 03's as a step sideways. Most 5105's were delivered with a 3rd SCV and extendable draft links, although both were options. JD often designs a "base" and as people here told me, you must add various options to get a reasonable tractor. The turbo engine makes the same or less hp than the non-turbo 5105/5205 engines, so it's just another thing that could break (unless you are at high altitude, in which case it could be very useful). In terms of better tire options - the 5105 was available with two sizes of R1's, one size of R4, and I think even a turf option; what else do you need? I agree that the fully synchro transmission is an improvement.

/ 2008 5203 4WD #20  
Thanks for the clarification on the FEL option on the 5603. I used the JD configurator for the 5203 and the 522 was the only loader available. It looks like JD has done the same thing (more or less) with these models as the 4000x20's in that the engine and frame size are identical for the entire series and the only difference is more Hp.

Lot's of discussion regarding how JD manages to squeeze more Hp from the 4120 to the 4720, etc. So, I just figured that the 522 was the default FEL for all the models...

Z -- I seem to remember that you could only get 1 additional SCV with the 05 -- not 2 at the rear like the new 03's (could easily be mistaken...).

True enough, a turbo is one more thing that can go haywire. But, I believe a turbo engine is more efficient at generating an equivalent amount of HP than a normally aspirated engine. Therefore, the new '03 series should be easier on fuel than the '05's given the same workload.

Were those R4's (pretty aggressive tread pattern) pictured for the 5203 available with the 5105?

Related to this new tractor --- is the 5603 the only model that has the cab option?

AKfish