Buying Advice 2008 Kubota BX23

/ 2008 Kubota BX23 #11  
1*From what I've seen that's a very fair price assuming it's a TLB and the hours and condition are right....
2*I'm not sure I'd worry about the abrupt stop issue...
3*My RTV does that if I rapidly release the trottle..Solution--don't do that. You'll get used to it if it even does it.
4*I forget which (24 or 25) had some plastic cracking issues, look for that too...
5*The 23's were virtually all steel.

1*It's not a TLB as there was no BH available for a 2350.
2*The problem was serious enough that Kubota had to discontinue the 1850 2350 and 24 and introduce the 1860 2360 and 25 because there was no factory fix for the issue.
3*My RTV does that if I rapidly release the trottle..Solution--don't do that may work with you and your RTV but it didn't work for many of the tractor owners.
Learning to live with a defect is not a good solution .
What if he buys it and can't get used to it???
Why take that chance when there are so many years and models that don't have those issues?
4*The 1850 2350 and 24 models all had the plastic cracking issues.
5*So are all the models that replaced the 1850 2350 and 24 .

/ 2008 Kubota BX23
LBrown59, what years and models would you suggest I look for? I can't afford the backhoe option unless it is just an unbelieveable deal. So which years and models that do not have a BH would you suggest?

What I get I want to be dependable and without a load of recalls on it as I will not know if those recalls have been addressed on a used model.

Thanks,
Steve

/ 2008 Kubota BX23 #13  
1*LBrown59, what years and models would you suggest I look for? I can't afford the backhoe option unless it is just an unbelieveable deal. So which years and models that do not have a BH would you suggest?
2*What I get I want to be dependable and without a load of recalls on it as I will not know if those recalls have been addressed on a used model.

Thanks,
Steve
1*Suggested Models - No BH
All models except BX1850 BX2350.
All BH models except BX24
The year don't matter so long as the tractor isn't one of the models i listed here.
2*There was never a recall on these models because there was never a factory or dealer fix available for them , therefore they were never fixed.
If you buy one and have problems with it you are stuck with the problen because there is no cure.
This is why I would not even consider sinking my money into one of them
Get any other model than the ones i listed and you will be fine.

/ 2008 Kubota BX23
1*Suggested Models - No BH
All models except BX1850 BX2350.
All BH models except BX24
The year don't matter so long as the tractor isn't one of the models i listed here.

OK so what your saying is to stay away from all models with a backhoe, stay away from the BX1850, stay away from BX2350 and again stay away from all BH models except the BX24 is good?

Being that I don't want a BH now how do the BX1860 or the BX2360 fair with problems? I see how you have a Kubota with a BH, why did you get one if you say I should stay away from models with a backhoe?

Thanks!

/ 2008 Kubota BX23 #15  
1*OK so what your saying is to stay away from all models with a backhoe,
2*stay away from the BX1850,
3* stay away from BX2350 .
4*stay away from all BH models except the BX24 is good?
5*Being that I don't want a BH now how do the BX1860 or the BX2360 fair with problems?
6*I see how you have a Kubota with a BH,
7*why did you get one if you say I should stay away from models with a backhoe?
1.No I said I recommend all BH BXs except the BX24 model.
2.Right.
3.Correct.
4*No i said to avoid the BX 24 BH model but the other BH models such as the BX22 23 25 and 26 are all great tractors
that did not have those problems.
5* The BX1860 and the BX2360 as well as the BX25 and BX26 don't have those problems because they went back to the old design models prior to the 1850 2350 and BX24.
6*Yes I do Have a BX23 because the BX24 is the only Back HoE model that has that problem .
7*I didn't say stay away from all BH nodels = I said avoid the BX24 BH models.
___________________________------------------------============
I know this is confusing to those who weren't falmilar with what happened at Kubota during this time frame.

kubotas model numbering system used is also confusing.

/ 2008 Kubota BX23
I agree, the model numbering used by Kubota is confusing. I am glad I asked you if I had it right I would have been totally off. :) LOL

Great info and will be keeping my eyes out for those models to stay away from. How long ago did they come out with the '60 models?

How big of a trailer can say the BX1860 move? I also have a hill where I live that I would have to back the trailers up to park them. One trailer is a large pop up camper and I will be moving these trailers now and then and also have boats that I will be moving and the salesman at Kubota was saying that the BX1860 would do the job but I am more leaning something as big as the BX2360 as my wife's mini van has an issue putting the trailer away.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / 2008 Kubota BX23 #17  
I agree, the model numbering used by Kubota is confusing. I am glad I asked you if I had it right I would have been totally off. :) LOL

Great info and will be keeping my eyes out for those models to stay away from.
1*How long ago did they come out with the '60 models?
2*How big of a trailer can say the BX1860 move? I also have a hill where I live that I would have to back the trailers up to park them. One trailer is a large pop up camper and I will be moving these trailers now and then and also have boats that I will be moving and
3* the salesman at Kubota was saying that the BX1860 would do the job but I am more leaning more towards something as big as the BX2360 as my wife's mini van has an issue putting the trailer away.
1*I Don't really remember : Any body else know?
2*I never tried moving a trailer with one of my BXs so I can't answer this for you Except to say they probably would move your trailers but I don't know how stable it would be on a slope with them.
3*There isn't that much difference between the size and weight of a BX1860 and a BX2360.

This is a photo of my 3 BXs.
ScannedImage003_003_003_zps78bc023e.jpg

The first one is a BX23 the next 2 are BX1500s.
The BX23 isn't that much heavier or bigger than the BX1500s
I soon realized that the BX1500 could do every thing that I had done with The BX23 except for the BH work .

The BX 1860 and BX2360 are not that much difference in weight and size either.

/ 2008 Kubota BX23
Lucky!! I just want one and you have 3!! LOL

/ 2008 Kubota BX23 #19  
I was able to move my 8500 lb travel trailer on level ground with my little 24hp subcompact, but that was only in a pinch.

If you plan on moving trailers regularly, you should use the drawbar instead of the 3pt hitch. The 3pt hitch can easily lift up when the trailer tongue puts upward pressure on it. Or, rig up something to keep the 3pt hitch from riding up if the trailer tries to push it up. If you're backing a trailer up a hill, it will try to push the 3pt upwards.

/ 2008 Kubota BX23 #20  
I was able to move my 8500 lb travel trailer on level ground with my little 24hp subcompact, but that was only in a pinch.

If you plan on moving trailers regularly, you should use the drawbar instead of the 3pt hitch. The 3pt hitch can easily lift up when the trailer tongue puts upward pressure on it. Or, rig up something to keep the 3pt hitch from riding up if the trailer tries to push it up. If you're backing a trailer up a hill, it will try to push the 3pt upwards.

You are correct don't use the 3 point hitch but even using the draw bar is not safe with an 8500 pound trailer hooked up to a 1200 pound tractor on a slope.
The 8500 pound trailer would probably push or pull the tractor all over the place like a rag doll or like the tail waging the dog.
I don't think a small tractor has enough traction or weight to handle such a heavey load even it the area was paved with concrete or blacktop.