2008 Kubota L3940

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #13  
Im looking at buying a 2008 Kubota L3940 GST 4WD from a local guy. Tractor outfitted with FEL, grading box and a bush hog. The tractor is is nice shape and less than 150 hours. Located in Georgia.

This generation is known as the /40 generation. The final series of 'Grand L' tractors not burdened with mandatory Tier IV emission controls.

Seller can prove his ownership.

Asking price is $18,000. Is this a fair price or what should i offer for this tractor ?

A very fair price. I would purchase it immediately.

You will be one of the fortunate few who operate a Kubota 'Grand L' as their first tractor. Most own two or three tractors before acquiring their first 'Grand L'.

Last edited:
   / 2008 Kubota L3940 #14  
An equivalent new machine of that size would be in the $30-35k range (?) and be tier 4 emissions.
$18k sounds like a very good deal to me assuming it hasn't been abused. I would at least do a "once over" on the fluids and run it through all gears, operate the loader, and 3 point.
Good luck!

/ 2008 Kubota L3940
Im looking at buying a 2008 Kubota L3940 GST 4WD from a local guy. Tractor outfitted with FEL, grading box and a bush hog. The tractor is is nice shape and less than 150 hours. Located in Georgia.

Seller can prove his ownership.

Asking price is $18,000. Is this a fair price or what should i offer for this tractor ?

A very fair price. I would purchase it immediately.

You will be one of the fortunate few who operate a Kubota 'Grand L' as their first tractor. Most own two or three tractors before acquiring their first 'Grand L'.
Thank you for your opinion sir

/ 2008 Kubota L3940
An equivalent new machine of that size would be in the $30-35k range (?) and be tier 4 emissions.
$18k sounds like a very good deal to me assuming it hasn't been abused. I would at least do a "once over" on the fluids and run it through all gears, operate the loader, and 3 point.
Good luck!
What is " once over " on the fluids sir ?

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #17  
The L3940 is a very nice tractor;I owned a L3130 and currently a L4240.Low hours;one thing I would check is for hydraulic leaks(one major one is the loose pin,under and center of the tractor.)
If it is leaking there it requires a major "split" and expensive.

/ 2008 Kubota L3940
Update :

I just found out the tractor is less than 150 hours because he blew up the engine around 400 hours due to a leak, so he took the tractor to Kubota to put on a new engine. Now the hours on meter is 530 but only 130 on new engine. Is this still a good buy ?

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #19  
I think you mentioned earlier today that you had the dealer do $5K in repairs when you first got that M9000 tractor, right? Still sounds like a good deal, but based on your other post you must admit that you have $23K in it. Still a good deal.

It's really not apples to apples. You can't compare 100 HP tractors to 40 HP tractors and they're obviously going to be used very differently. Pound for pound, the smaller tractors are worth more -- or at least they sell for more. This tractor is a newer generation than the M9000 with extremely low hours.

Doesn't sound like it has a cab, but with the equipment he mentioned, it's selling for less than the largest Kubota B models were selling for in 2002. And it's a "40" series which is an added plus. Still seems like a really nice tractor and potentially a good deal to me.

Just my opinion. . .
That is correct with just under 5000K hours on it, I wanted my dealer's head wrench (who I know personally) to go completely through it, which he did and replaced any suspect parts plus the fixed and repainted the hood that had a few dents in it and a new grill too. The left outboard had vertical slop in it so Dennis rebushed it, front crankshaft seal was leaking, replaced, overhead ran, injectors spray tested, dynoed, new multi function switch and he upped the clutch pack lockup pressure a bit (it's a hydraulic shuttle like my other M9. All I'll have actually. Don't ever want a dry clutch unit. Hardly ever touch the 'clutch' pedal, which really does nothing but relieve the travelling wet clutch pack pressure and he added a brake pedal microswitch and idiot light on the dash to remind me to release the parking brakes, something I do often and something that Kubota should have had, right along.

My dealer offered me 30 for it when it was finished or about 5 more than I had in it total. Not for sale. I bought it to use, not to resell, at least not in the immediate future, any way.

Here it is... Cosmetically, it's about as pristine as it could be for a 2002 model with almost 6K hours on the meter and it's a rare bird too. It has the Kubota optional down exhaust which was a factory option

Like the 'Tuff Top' too. Keeps the sun off my hairless head. (y)

Next year it will need new shoes all around and I'll put on radials but that can wait for 5500 bucks.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
   / 2008 Kubota L3940 #20  
500h wouldn't concern me, although the fact that the engine was replaced introduces questions and concerns. The rare engine will have a catastrophic failure, and an unnoticed large "leak" could happen resulting in failure.
I would personally want to know exactly what happened, who replaced the engine, if it was a new crate engine or rebuilt, and if it was a warranty replacement. I don't know when you were made aware of the engine replacement, but if I heard about it after noting an hour meter discrepancy I would think the seller was being less than forthcoming. That's just my opinion... I wasn't there to hear how the facts were reported.

By "once over", I meant a basic look at the engine oil, hydraulic oil, and coolant looking for correct levels and contamination like coolant in the engine oil. The place nybirdman mentioned to check underneath the machine is a good place to check for an expensive problem.