2008 Kubota L3940

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #21  
Don' know but I bought a pre 4 M9000 with a loader for 18 and the M9 is 2 times the tractor in power and weight of that one.
With 150 hrs on it and shed kept?

/ 2008 Kubota L3940
Less than 130 on new engine, he blew the engine up at 400 hours. Total hours of tractor is 530 now sir

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #23  
No, 5500 hours and kept in the barn. Interesting that the previous owner lunched the motor and was replaced. Must have has KTAC insurance.

I put hundreds of hours on my tractors yearly Not wall flowers and I had my dealer go though it before it came here. Clean bill of health from them.

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #24  
Less than 130 on new engine, he blew the engine up at 400 hours. Total hours of tractor is 530 now sir

Well that certainly provides some additional information doesnt it! As others have mentioned you need to be sure that leak and the subsequent engine failure didnt strain/stress or damage other parts of the machine. I am assuming Kubota checked it all out, but I would probably talk to the service center that did the work to verify.

The second question is what else did the original owner not take care of: 50 hour service? 200, 400? Was it greased properly? Any evidence of more severe hydraulic leak issues (usually dirt will stick to the oil if there is a leak...keep in mind valve connections arent usually a large concern...a bit of loss is normal during connect/disconnect).

It could be that it was one isolated mistake that had no other ramifications and the tractor was cared for in every other way. And it could be the above.

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #25  
You have mentioned all of the keywords that I would be looking for in a used tractor. Dealer serviced when there is a problem, shedded, FEL, box blade, shredder. Seldom used (low hours). GST. Great price.

Years ago, I purchased my 2002 L3710 GST from a dealer 2 states away, sight unseen but delivered by a third party. Sounds like what you are looking at may be the older version of what what I own. I absolutely love the tractor and it's GST. I had a Kubota HST once but sold it when it had 200 hours. GST is quiet (HST isn't), GST is fuel and power efficient (HST isn't).

If you haven't noticed, there is a lack of good used tractors at a good price these days, especially a tractor without the emission stuff. Between manufacturer's pulling back production in 2020, forcing new owners to buy used, to free government cash, the used market is HOT. You are looking at a great price.

The only thing I would do in your situation is to be sure to test functionality as much as you reasonably can. Test all gears for operation and noise. Look for leaks - these tractors are known to have leaky front knuckle seals, so don't be turned off if you see it. Make sure electrical items work and all dash lights are on when key turned but engine not started. Test both back brakes independently. I once bought a tractor from a guy who used the left brake for parking but forgot to release the brake when he used it, so that brake was almost completely worn out after 150 hours. If you are not comfortable with all of this testing, pay an experienced tractor owner to check it out. I would not use a dealer, for I have witnessed them missing major things because they have no 'skin in the game'. Most of all, consider the seller. If you think he is out to hide something or dump a problem, walk away. However since he got the engine fixed by the dealer, I highly doubt there is anything but the lowest amount of risk.

Finally, make a decision asap. It could easily be sold in a day's time if he advertises it.

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #26  
Hello everybody,

Im a new member and im seeking advice from all of the expert up here. Any help would be appreciated. Im looking to buy a 2008 Kubota L3940 GST 4WD from a local guy. The tractor is is nice shape and less than 150 hours. Asking price is $18,000 and im wondering is this a fair price or what should i offer for this tractor ? Thanks in advance

God bless !
offer 15 you can always go up in price even if you save nothing you got almost a new tractor

/ 2008 Kubota L3940 #27  
It sounds nice and price is good. HOWEVER, are you purchasing it from a Kubota dealer? If you are, are they offering a warranty with the tractor? Also, check into the Kubota insurance. Among other things, it covers rollover, theft and accidents.
I would also keep in mind that tractors are best run some time every month. Sitting long periods of time is not a good idea. Best wishes - oh, that is a good tractor and should make you very happy. Larry

I just read about the blown engine. That is really rare - I would want to know how that happened. I would also talk with the Kubota service to get all the facts on all that they checked out and if there is any warranty on the work. It still may be a good deal, but verify it's history and offer less to see if the deal gets better. As shadowm77 stated, you can always go back up if they will not come down. But offering a warranty on their work is worth a lot if that is the case.

Last edited:
   / 2008 Kubota L3940 #28  
I think you mentioned earlier today that you had the dealer do $5K in repairs when you first got that M9000 tractor, right? Still sounds like a good deal, but based on your other post you must admit that you have $23K in it. Still a good deal.

It's really not apples to apples. You can't compare 100 HP tractors to 40 HP tractors and they're obviously going to be used very differently. Pound for pound, the smaller tractors are worth more -- or at least they sell for more. This tractor is a newer generation than the M9000 with extremely low hours.

Doesn't sound like it has a cab, but with the equipment he mentioned, it's selling for less than the largest Kubota B models were selling for in 2002. And it's a "40" series which is an added plus. Still seems like a really nice tractor and potentially a good deal to me.

Just my opinion. . .
Good

/ 2008 Kubota L3940
Thank to everybody for all of your opinions, im really appreciated and learn alot from you guy. I end up just bought this L39 for 25k , its in pretty good shape 1,300 hours . Also already plumbed for hydraulic thumb. This machine SO STRONG. maybe i will have to becareful when i move it around so i dont do any damage to my house 😀 . Cant wait to use it

Attachments

• IMG_3694.jpg
    IMG_3694.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 62
   / 2008 Kubota L3940 #30  
So whatever happened to the original deal with the L3940 that generated so much discussion???