2010 Hunting

/ 2010 Hunting #21  
So far I have harvested 3 out of 5 tags that I have, two does and a fawn during early firearm season in kansas. I'm after an illusive 10 pointer and another doe during the December season. I had the weirdest experience with a fawn, I shot the doe just before 7:00 am and the fawn @ 7:05 am but had to bring down the fawn from 145 yards with 3 shots and two off them were head shots and the last in the heart, no meat loss at all but the picture is gory.

JC,

2nd and 3rd deer

processed.

1st doe processed.

/ 2010 Hunting #22  
Did the fawn have spots on it?:licking:

/ 2010 Hunting #23  
Heres the bad boy im after along with a few of his friends:thumbsup:

Attachments

• buck.JPG
    buck.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 95
  • buck2.JPG
    buck2.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 103
  • game cam 2 574.JPG
    game cam 2 574.JPG
    797.1 KB · Views: 86
  • game cam 2 579.JPG
    game cam 2 579.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 71
   / 2010 Hunting #24  
plus all I save on a deer is the tender loins and hams,buzzards,foxes,coyotas get the rest.

What about the BACKSTRAP thats the best part:thumbsup:

/ 2010 Hunting #25  
Tender loin is the back strap:D

/ 2010 Hunting #27  
:) Tenderloin is not the backstrap. The tenderloins are below the spine, inside the cavity. The loins (aka backstrap) are along each side of the backbone/spine outside the cavity. But for sure, the loins are tender deer meat. :) So calling the loin tender is prolly ok. Just not calling it tenderloin. :)

But a common mistake in nomenclature as many people refer to the tenderloin and don't know where it is, so don't harvest them from the deer. On a deer, they are not very big, maybe 1-1 1/2" in cross section and 8-10" long.

/ 2010 Hunting #28  
:) Tenderloin is not the backstrap. The tenderloins are below the spine, inside the cavity. The loins (aka backstrap) are along each side of the backbone/spine outside the cavity. But for sure, the loins are tender deer meat. :) So calling the loin tender is prolly ok. Just not calling it tenderloin. :)

But a common mistake in nomenclature as many people refer to the tenderloin and don't know where it is, so don't harvest them from the deer. On a deer, they are not very big, maybe 1-1 1/2" in cross section and 8-10" long.

Maybe not a large cut of meat but it was worth the trouble.

/ 2010 Hunting #29  
I was up in Canada hunting truffle and escargot when I came across this sign in the forest. Think you guys might get a chuckle out of it. :D

Image.jpg

/ 2010 Hunting #30  
Did the fawn have spots on it?:licking:

nope, it did not. Tenderloin is not backstrap. it is less than 1/2 lbs on each end. The T-loin for a cow is much bigger and that's why the mistake happns. Back stap of a deer is smaller than cows t-loin.

JC,

two little pieces on top is t-loin and the rest is backstrap with silver skin removed.

T-loin is two small muscle pieces inside.