2010 Hunting

/ 2010 Hunting #41  
Brush hogged a 40x60 clearing in a natural funnel on the back side of my property and set up my new feeder Saturday. Ive never used one but taking a suggestion from a a successful hunting buddy, I have it set to feed for 7 sec at 530 pm, because it still really green yet. I guess I have to wait now.

/ 2010 Hunting #42  
7 seconds,,man,,I pile out 5-600 lbs at a time,,my feeder[the pile of corn] lasts for at least 8-10 days! Than I got to refill it:laughing:

Yeah,you cannot beat a thick ribeye beef steak,,but that cubed,fried in bacon fat,deer tender loin,is a close second.:licking:

/ 2010 Hunting #43  
Not allowed to bait where I live. But, find the only patch of oaks dropping acorns and you'e in business! Here is a picture of my daughter with her first deer. Got him last Saturday. First time she'd ever been deer hunting. Its a small buck but just right for her first shot ever. That's blood on her face by the way.

mabuck.jpg

/ 2010 Hunting #44  
Not allowed to bait where I live. But, find the only patch of oaks dropping acorns and you'e in business! Here is a picture of my daughter with her first deer. Got him last Saturday. First time she'd ever been deer hunting. Its a small buck but just right for her first shot ever. That's blood on her face by the way.

mabuck.jpg

That's a great picture George. Along with a bit of a blood on her face one needs to eat a small piece of the deer liver raw and sticking a piece of tree leaves in the deer mouth to make it real first official deer hunt.:):)

JC,

/ 2010 Hunting #45  
Good for her,good to see the female who can use a gun or bow,,[unless its your wife]:laughing:

Whats the real deal with oak producing acorns?

I was basicly raised in the woods and still ain't got it figured out,,some years[this year] there are plenty of acorns,,but seems to me it was many years ago since we had any to amount to any thing.

Heard red or white or black oaks produce acorns only every so many years and maybe all three different. But you would think it would kinda be regular,[unless every 6-8 years is regular],,maybe weather has something to do with it,,very cold and snowy last winter,super hot and dry this summer and fall so far.

/ 2010 Hunting #46  
my daughter with her first deer.

That's AWESOME!!!! Congrats to her and to you. She'll remember that deer the rest of her life.

Thanks for sharing,
Eddie

/ 2010 Hunting #47  
Very nice work - but please don't let her knaw on any raw deer liver with the prion transmitted CWD no matter how remote the possibility is...

/ 2010 Hunting #48  
Nope, not going to have anybody eating raw deer parts. I might be overly cautious but I've treated prion based diseases before and its not pretty.

Anyway.......I have no idea about the acorns. Where I live, every type of oak is dropping acorns like crazy, white oaks, post oaks, water oaks, willow oaks, red oaks, you name it. My property is 30 minutes south of here. Willow oaks/ water oaks are dropping plenty of tiny little acorns and that's what this little buck was coming to. We saw tons of does before he came out. But, I've got several really nice stands of whiteoaks and as of last week I haven't seen a single acorn. And I don't think we had any last year either. No post oaks either. We had lots of sawtooth oak acorns (they're not native) but they'd dropped before the season started.

So, I can't see any pattern in the acorn crop. All I know is, we do better from a hunting standpoint when they're are just a few trees producing. When all the whiteoaks are dropping, it doesn't really help the hunting. In fact, sometimes its worse since they don't have to move to get to food.

/ 2010 Hunting #49  
Very nice work - but please don't let her knaw on any raw deer liver with the prion transmitted CWD no matter how remote the possibility is...

I was only joking you know? but it used to be a European hunting tradition. I have not done it myself and neither my boys.

On the CWD issue, I never use any saws to go thru bones. I separate muscle pieces whole off of a ham and never make deer chops with bone attached as same as bone in lamb chops. I still have some fear of CWD transmission although they keep saying there is no evidence of transmission to humans. I have also read even if the deer has CWD the meat still is good:confused:. I do use gloves while field dressing and processing, I know my knives and chopping boards are as clean as they can be and probably cleaner that what goes on in a meat factory but still not very assured. What is you all's take on the CWD and the meat you harvest?

JC,

/ 2010 Hunting #50  
I don't know a lot about CWD in deer. Last I'd heard it had not come east of the Mississippi yet, but that was a few years ago. I don't think there have been confirmed cases of humans getting it but again, I'm not up on CWD specifically.

Anyway, my daughter was texting :)confused2:) some of her friends that hunt about her success and the boys were telling her she had to take a bite of the heart of her first deer. :licking: There are lots of strange traditions for the first deer. When I was a kid they used to hang the, um, male parts of the buck around your neck as well as bloodying your face. I skipped that on this occasion. :D