2012 MX5100

/ 2012 MX5100 #11  
Well, if I go HST. I'll have to get a larger tractor to get the same HP . I hear the HST takes some of the HP. away
Most of my use will probably be loader/grapple work. I'll use the old yanmar for brush cutting.

You will lose 1.5HP at the PTO with the HST so you might lose that much at the rear wheels. However, I've never noticed I needed more HP out of my HST - just more ballast on the back end at times. BTW, my MX5100HST was bought in January '17 no canopy but with a loader; 3 rear remotes; a 3rd function and 195Hrs for $23.5K out the door.

/ 2012 MX5100 #12  
Well, if I go HST. I'll have to get a larger tractor to get the same HP . I hear the HST takes some of the HP. away
Most of my use will probably be loader/grapple work. I'll use the old yanmar for brush cutting.

You'll only have to go bigger if you need more HP. For loader work, you'd never be lacking HP with the HST. Also, for bush hogging, I strongly believe (and I think LD1 will back me up on this) that the ability to instantly adjust your ground speed to match the field conditions more than makes up for the efficiency you give up to the HST. If you want to run a stump grinder or wood chipper, you might want all you can get, but anything that includes an element of ground speed, like mowing, tilling, snow blowing, etc, I'd take hst over a few HP every time.

/ 2012 MX5100
You will lose 1.5HP at the PTO with the HST so you might lose that much at the rear wheels. However, I've never noticed I needed more HP out of my HST - just more ballast on the back end at times. BTW, my MX5100HST was bought in January '17 no canopy but with a loader; 3 rear remotes; a 3rd function and 195Hrs for $23.5K out the door.

sounds like you got a he11 of a deal with the 3rd function included.
On a side note, I'm about to have knee surgery Friday. HST might not be a bad thing ! LOL

/ 2012 MX5100 #14  
sounds like you got a he11 of a deal with the 3rd function included.
On a side note, I'm about to have knee surgery Friday. HST might not be a bad thing ! LOL

The deal was .... it had a dent on the hood from the previous owner dropping a bucket load of logs when he lifted it too high. Dealer kept lowering the price but still couldn't sell a dented hood.

Dent.jpg

I'm not fussy about those kinds of things so I made him a deal. It already had the 3rd function so I told him, if he added the 3 remotes for half price (the cost of the parts); include the service & owner's manuals and do the 200 hr maintenance, I'd take it. The other factor was I paid cash - it does make a difference.

On the side note: I was in a rear end auto accident (the receiving end) back in 2007. The old Fordson in my avatar has a clutch and a minimum ground speed of 1.8mph in 1st gear @ PTO engine speed. Constantly having to start and stop while mowing became a real and literal pain in the neck. When the clutch went out an upgrade to HST was in order.

/ 2012 MX5100
the dent wouldn't bother me at all. I'm not looking for new. I expect some dents and dings.
I pay cash every for everything I buy

/ 2012 MX5100 #16  
Re: l5240 vs mx5100 vs m5040.

The L and MX are the same basic chassis. And same basic tractor. The L is just a deluxe model with more bells and whistles.

The M is a larger chassis, larger tires, heavier, larger loader.

Of the three, I think the GL is the best deal.

Regarding tires, since the L and MX share the same chassis, they have the same internal gearing and same sized tire options. See if your dealer will make a swap with the MX.

/ 2012 MX5100
well, that's easy. the M being the heavier tractor with larger loader is what I would want.
I don't think he has a GL model right now. He is a used tractor dealer that deals mostly in Kubota tractors.
I'll have to ask him if he ever gets a GL model in

/ 2012 MX5100 #18  
well, that's easy. the M being the heavier tractor with larger loader is what I would want.
I don't think he has a GL model right now. He is a used tractor dealer that deals mostly in Kubota tractors.
I'll have to ask him if he ever gets a GL model in

The L5240 is a GL or Grand Luxury Kubota model. It's got all the bells and whistles. That's what looked like the best deal to me too. Swapping tires should be in his favor since most people want R4s.

/ 2012 MX5100 #19  
The L5240 is a GL or Grand Luxury Kubota model. It's got all the bells and whistles. That's what looked like the best deal to me too. Swapping tires should be in his favor since most people want R4s.

And since R4's typically cost more

/ 2012 MX5100

If the M series has the better loader (more lift capacity) that is what I would want. Not a light tractor with a weaker loader

I missed adding info for this other tractor I listed..
2013 MX5100 HST 380 HRS
FOR 23,900

It has HST, but doesn't have rear remotes. if You are saying that the M series would is heavier and has a better loader than the GL. Then it seems, the M series is what would work best for loader/ grapple work and plow/disc work

Last edited: