2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #1  

NCFarmer214

Tractor
2013 Mahindra Max 28 XL HST
This is also compounded by the FEL operates but is very weak regarding lifting capacity. The rear hydraulics are fine, can lift a 800 pound mower with ease.

Tractor has been mine since 2014, It only has 104 hours on it. It was my commercial greenhouse machine and did heavy lifting at the start and close of the season. Always kept in indoors and very well maintained.

I have gone though all the obvious stuff, fluid level is good (brand new) both filters are new, no oil leaks, engine runs great. I greased it all up back in May and was using it to grade my gravel road. It got weak suddenly and I noticed the pedal got firmer feeling. I was able to limp up to shop and there it sat until I had time to look at it.

Dealership nearby doesn't troubleshoot (or know the product well) and just want to lighten my bank account of $5000 and swap out the HST. I am thinking its a hydraulic issue and this being my first HST, not sure what to try.

I have also made sure the linkages were all clean, greased, and it was all to spec per the shop manual, I did have to adjust one spring to get it to return to neutral when releasing the pedal, and I adjusted the speed control lever since the linkage was sloppy and out of spec.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #2  
Not sure on your specific model, but I'd check your control valve for your joystick. It might be plugged up/or restricted in a port or two. I was surprised to find out that my 3pt hitch hydraulics ran thru the control valve via power beyond port.

If something is restricting the flow, like a small piece of anything, it could domino effect other functions.

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev
Thanks Duffer. I will give that a try. I noticed that one of my pumps fed hydraulics and power steering and the other appears to be drive control.

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #4  
First do simple things like check the hydraulic oil and see if it has a burnt smell and replace the hydraulic and HST filters. There should be one for the hydraulic and one for the HST. Then I’d get the hydraulic oil pressure tested in various places.

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #5  
This is also compounded by the FEL operates but is very weak regarding lifting capacity. The rear hydraulics are fine, can lift a 800 pound mower with ease.

Tractor has been mine since 2014, It only has 104 hours on it. It was my commercial greenhouse machine and did heavy lifting at the start and close of the season. Always kept in indoors and very well maintained.

I have gone though all the obvious stuff, fluid level is good (brand new) both filters are new, no oil leaks, engine runs great. I greased it all up back in May and was using it to grade my gravel road. It got weak suddenly and I noticed the pedal got firmer feeling. I was able to limp up to shop and there it sat until I had time to look at it.

Dealership nearby doesn't troubleshoot (or know the product well) and just want to lighten my bank account of $5000 and swap out the HST. I am thinking its a hydraulic issue and this being my first HST, not sure what to try.

I have also made sure the linkages were all clean, greased, and it was all to spec per the shop manual, I did have to adjust one spring to get it to return to neutral when releasing the pedal, and I adjusted the speed control lever since the linkage was sloppy and out of spec.

Anyone else have a similar problem?
Check for a mouse nest in the transmission/bell housing, causing the clutch to slip. I have seen a few. The clutch slips and the input shaft to the HST stops turning.

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #6  
Any local, independent tractor mechanics around? They're usually a fraction of the cost from a Dealership. If your tractor only has 104 hours on it, it was due for the 100-hour maintenance, which it sounds like you did, already: change out all hydraulic oil and filters.

I am assuming it is similar to my eMax 20S, in basic hydraulic design. There are two hydraulic filters: one is a legitimate, high pressure, spin-on filter (you must use the OEM filter, or one that is an exact replacement, due to high pressures -- anything else will fail, badly), and an inline screen, which must be cleaned of all particulates. I assume that you cleaned this out, before replacing it?

The hydraulic oil should have been around 5 gallons, maybe more? The front end, if it is 4WD, might be a separate hydraulic circuit. The FEL and the transmission all share the same hydraulic circuit and oil. I assume you used compatible hydraulic oil?

I'd really recommend an independent tractor mechanic, if you can find one you trust. It was made in 2013, and you just now reached 104 hours, 10 years later, that tractor has been mostly a Garage Queen. Hard to say what happened to it over the last 10 years it was mostly sitting. Best of luck! Cheers!

/ 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL HST - tractor barely moves fwd/rev #7  
Make sure all the hydraulic connections for the loader are snapped in all the way . I had one get popped out by something hitting hit and had similer problems

Make sure all the hydraulic connections for the loader are snapped in all the way . I had one get popped out by something hitting hit and had similer proYaeh
Make sure all the hydraulic connections for the loader are snapped in all the way . I had one get popped out by something hitting hit and had similer problems
Yeah, all the obvious stuff was checked and its all good. I suspect a relief valve or something small. Local dealer just wants to replace the HST for $4800 and new pumps for $850 each. They don't troubleshoot or do any diagnostic work, they keep replacing stuff until it all works again. I probably will avoid Mahindra in the future because of the lack of real technicians.

Any local, independent tractor mechanics around? They're usually a fraction of the cost from a Dealership. If your tractor only has 104 hours on it, it was due for the 100-hour maintenance, which it sounds like you did, already: change out all hydraulic oil and filters.

I am assuming it is similar to my eMax 20S, in basic hydraulic design. There are two hydraulic filters: one is a legitimate, high pressure, spin-on filter (you must use the OEM filter, or one that is an exact replacement, due to high pressures -- anything else will fail, badly), and an inline screen, which must be cleaned of all particulates. I assume that you cleaned this out, before replacing it?

The hydraulic oil should have been around 5 gallons, maybe more? The front end, if it is 4WD, might be a separate hydraulic circuit. The FEL and the transmission all share the same hydraulic circuit and oil. I assume you used compatible hydraulic oil?

I'd really recommend an independent tractor mechanic, if you can find one you trust. It was made in 2013, and you just now reached 104 hours, 10 years later, that tractor has been mostly a Garage Queen. Hard to say what happened to it over the last 10 years it was mostly sitting. Best of luck! Cheers!
Hey, thanks for checking in. Yeah, all the 100 hour stuff done per the shop manual/Mahindra specs. I have an indy mechanic across the road, he just has no HST experience. If I had my old Ford 8N, he'd be able to fix that.
The tractor stayed inside my commercial greenhouse and ran stuff inside in spring and carried out stuff in the fall, so its been under cover most of its life. I used the 8N and the skidsteer for all the outside/livestock related stuff. I did remove the control valve and cleaned it up. Will install it later today and work the air out and do some pressure tests to try narrow down what is failing.

Check for a mouse nest in the transmission/bell housing, causing the clutch to slip. I have seen a few. The clutch slips and the input shaft to the HST stops turning.
All my mice were camping under the cowling around the fuel tank/steering wheel. Clutch looked clear when we checked it. We use cotton balls soaked in pure peppermint oil to keep the mice away, seems to be doing the trick. Fall will be the true test, when they all start looking for warm and cozy nest spots.